former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

Highway renewals this week:

Friern Road 8am-5pm 3-5 February - from junction with Etherow Street to Lordship Lane. Please see attached letter. Clearly buses will be on diversion. I've not yet been able to confirm the diversion route for buses or the access arrangements for house and blocks of flats. My guess is residents there will need to park somewhere else. These works won't affect the pavements.

For those homes with H white bars you'll need to contact officers to ensure they put them back! Contact [email protected] or 0800 138 9081 for this.

Re: Confusing Speed Limit Signs

Dear Cllr Barber

Question asked on a different thread

------------------------------------------------------

> Can we know where the 44 locations are and why

> they have been selected. Council officers

> choice,residents, cycle pressure groups or

> expensive consultants.

After the Townley Road who did what show I too would like to know the answers to the above.

The answers are there as they made a decision based on them

James,

I have contacted you previously with regard to speed bumps on Hillcourt rd (borders on Donkey Alley and Goodrich) due to the fact that this is a road that drivers seem to feel they can race down above the speed limit. In previous years the residents of Goodrich have tried to make this one way due to the volume of near misses (and a few hits) by cars on that corner. The discussion we had previously came down to budget of lack there of. There is a grand total of three bumps on this road- all of them near the top. The second half of the street including the corner has none at all?? Did the council run out of budget half way through the job??

This morning a young man came speeding down Hillcourt rd doing closer to 40mph than 30, lost control on the corner, mounted the kerb and hit a parked car narrowly missing the car containing my husband and two year old child.in actual fact the parked car hit ours... I don't want to dwell on this but two minutes earlier and he would have hit them. Please feel free to check out the police report that will no doubt be filed for insurance purposes today...

Is it going to take an actual death before something is done?

theboycj Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Cllr James

>

> Is there an update on what is being done around

> the number of burglaries occurring in the East

> Dulwich area? There does seem to be an increase

> recently

But that's just an impression. My impression is that the trend if anything is downward, with a blip caused by one particular gang which was recently identified.

> Please do advise if there is an increased police

> presence planned?

Increased police presence does little to deter burglary ? vigilance and regular secutiry precautions by residents coupled with police intelligence are how burglary is deterred.

Friern Road resurfacing. Officers and TfL buses have confirmed that on relfection diverting buses onto other roads and blocking local residents access would be so painful that Friern Road will remain open. Phew.

Hi kiera, libbyer,

You're right but I can still advise libbyer that the ideal way to get traffic calming is via annual Cleaner, Greener, Safer funding. To make it clear to officers and councillors that it's needed worth asking for a traffic count which woudl record traffic volumes and speed. Also worth running a petition of all residents. Make it clear it isn't just you who wants it - would recommend recording people for and against to added clarity. If it helps I can give you a list from the public domain quite esilly of who is on the electoral roll so any petition can be systematic as you go from door to door.

theboycj, BNG,

Yes BNG is correct but not much comfort to victims.

In East Dulwich we've fund another 610 free property marking kits for local East Dulwich ward reisndets. After 8 years we've also persuaded College and Village wards to copy this programme and they're each funding 500 kits for those wards. These are from 15/16 funding so should be available in April.

East Dulwich ward has had very few burglaries recently but any burglary causes real heart ache and hardship for the victims. The local Police have had a number of dedicated officers assigned to proactively patrol the area.

We can also help each other - keep an eye out for strangers around neighbouring propoerties - the Police would sooner attend in error than not be asked and miss a burglary in the act.

Hi spider69,

I don't have a list but you can see double strips of rubber tubing across roads around Southwark. As soon as the results are in I'll ask for them to be added to thE southwark COuncil online mapping tool so we can all see them.

hi James

there are new mini cameras attached to the lights at the junction with dulwich village, calton avenue and turney road.

Just wondered what these were for? If they are for people who jump the lights, all well and good, but after the townley road episode, I just wondered if they were 'monitoring' for some other plans?..

many thanks

ps I did have a perusal of the southwark website but did not know where to start looking for a heads up

Hi tiddles,

These are usually to carry out origin and destination analysis.

track the exact proportion of traffic taking each particualr route. I would anticipate this is part of council officers trying to come up with new proposals that don't include a banned right hand turn at Turney Road.

Sometimes you'll see such cameras on poles - usually a study every year or so and I get asked what they're for. Unusual to do an ad hoc one for a particualr junction but the recent proposals for it did cause a lot of disquiet.

Hope that answeers your question.

Hi James, Kiera,

I don't think I explained myself properly - I'm on Goodrich rd - the issue is the careering traffic that comes down Hillcourt and around the bend at the top of Goodrich..... which is where the accident took place, hence me messaging James. We did (as previously mentioned ...as a street attempt to make Goodrich rd a one way street to avoid incidents like this happening)

James can you please advise who I'd need to speak to within your ward with regard to the traffic count. Kiera, do you work with James? Should I be following up with both of you? Thanks for getting back to me James and any help gratefully received.

No, I was just trying to be helpful, in pointing out that Peckham Rye Ward councillors are responsible for the area where the accident happened - in i.e. Hillcourt Rd, Donkey Alley and the part of Goodrich Rd that is between Hillcourt Rd and Dunstans Rd.

Hi libbyer,

Hillcourt/Goodrich to Dunstans Road has 7 sets of 3 speed cushions. Clearly they're not reducing speeds sufficiently from what you've said.

Replacing these with full width sinusoidal humps would. even just replacing ever other set would have a big impact. To replace them costs around ?1,800 ea + ?5,000 admin, consultation, legal fees, newspaper fees.

if you look at reported crashes via www.crashmap.co.uk since 2005-2013 one report minor crash on that corner involving 2 cars and one injury. So it is unlikely to be funded from central council money. So you'd need to persuade Peckham Rye ward councillors to use Cleaner, Greener, Safer capital funding to do this. A petition of residents could make the case for you with those cllrs.

Hi kiera,

No problem thanks for trying to help. I can still give advice of how to proceed and sometimes issues have systemic route cause which I can try addressing.

Hi James,

I counted them myself...Hillcourt has three speed bumps leading onto Goodrich. I wonder if we are talking about the same corner? Thanks for the advice regarding crash map....this just confirms what I said in my original post : councils need to see a fatality before something is done....Thanks for the advice, I'll get onto Peckham Rye... I really thought Goodrich rd was part of the East Dulwich ward?

Hi libbyer,

Yes 3 on Hillcourt and 3 on the section of Goodrich between Dunstans and Hillcourt. I think an extra one is needed on Hillcourt to do the job properly closeto the Goodrich corner.

Goodrich road is part of East Dulwich ward from Dunstans Road west.

Thanks Townleygreen.

Cool, thanks for all your help. So, the speed bump issue belongs to Peckham Rye ward and the one way issue (which is what the previous petition was concerned with a few years ago- people thought making Goodrich one way might stop the speeding ) belongs to East Dulwich...! Cool, got it, thanks guys.

James, can I draw your attention to the thread on one hour parking.

As a matter of urgency what can be done to halt the council's measures to introduce restricted parking across hitherto unrestricted areas of ED, under the guise of one hour free parking? Do you agree that the consultation form is not fit for purpose? Do you also agree that the council are being disingenuous in mixing a proposed change to already restricted parking slots from 30 mins to 1 hr free, with introduction of 1 hr slots to other areas that are already unrestricted and therefore already free? Do you agree that the council, far from freeing up parking us seeking to restrict it?

James, I haven't read through all of the "Confusing Speed Limit Signs" thread, so perhaps you could tell me:

(1) Is the Borough wide 20mph limit (a) an advisory limit or (b) one which is actually legally enforceable?

(2) If (1)(b) is the case, what is the legal basis of the 20mph limit - i.e. has it gone through the full statutory procedure imposing a 20 mph limit?

Hi firest mate,

I have objected to the proposed 1 hours parknig restrictions where it replaces existing un restricted parking. I think it would shift the balance too far away from residents needs.

We also have a problem already of business owners removing signs restricted existing parking so they can park indefinately. Until the council can resolve this it seems daft to make matters so much worse.

Eamiling the cabinet councillor who will make the decision [email protected] telling him what you think copying me would be the way to go.

Hi ZT,

Yes the 20mph could be enforced. It's a matter of whether the Police will or not. Yes, but as a stratgic decision skips over most councillors and community council involvement.

We've encouraged a Community Speed Watch scheme and several years ago ensured local East Dulwich Police have two sets of speed gun/measurement devices.

James, perhaps you could answer the other question that I asked, namely what is the legal basis of the 20mph limit - i.e. has it gone through the full statutory procedure imposing a 20 mph limit?

If you don't know the answer to this, perhaps you could check this with the Council's Director of Legal Services.