former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

Hi Jennys,

Can you expland on that please - generic issue? Not beign done every 48 hours? which streets being missed? or not done thoroughly?

We have had a number of streets with these problems at different times in East Dulwich - so any feedback on concerns really appreciated. But I need to be quite specific to get things monitored.

Hi James, would you mind getting onto the Council again and finding out where they are at with the traffic lights on Dog Kennel Hill? Nothing has changed, still cars sitting needlessly in queues with their engines idling, releasing exhaust fumes for the benefit of residents, pedestrians and cyclists all the way up the hill, while the traffic lights switch to allow non-existent buses through. It's fine when there buses coming down the hill but makes no sense when there aren't! The tailbacks will only get worse when normal traffic levels resume after half term. I was under the impression Southwark were going to sort this out as the system got screwed up during road re-surfacing? It worked well when approaching buses triggered a light change to give them priority.

This weekend lots of local streets are joining in and celebrating the Big Lunch with neighbours. it means these streets will be closed to through traffic. So please be patient and leave a little more time if your driving or cycling around this coming weekend.

Saturday 6 June:

Melbourne Grove (East Dulwich Grove-Jarvis Road) 3-6pm

Sunday 7 June:

Arnott Road 10am-7pm, Archduke Road 12-7pm, Ardbeg Road 10am-5pm, Bellenden Road 12-6pm, Colby Road 9am-9pm, Desenfans Road 11am-9pm, Elsie Road 12-9pm, Friern Road 10am-6pm, Goodrich Road 1-5pm, Gowlett Road 11.30am-7pm, Jasper Road 12-8pm, Keston Road 12-9pm, Nutbrook Street 11am-5pm, Stuart Road 11am-8pm, Tarbert Road 10am-7pm.

If any of the organisers have any problems they need help with please let me know. Cllr Rosie Shimell and I have helped sort lots of problems with closing streets for community events over the years. My favourite when I led the closure of The Cut on a Friday and even managed to get Ken Livingstone on a cycle - admittedly one built for 7 people.

I'm hoping one day some neighbours will agree to have something like the Park Street in Bristol waters slidehttp://www.lukejerram.com/projects/urban_slide but perhaps I;m getting a little ahead my self. Have fun everybody.

Hi James wondering if you or anyone else knows who we can contact about overgrown bushes which are causing a problem for pedestrians on the pavement. I'm referring in particular to the building next to Christ Church on Barry Road and the Forest. Is it Ray Mansions? The bushes are going into the road, people are having to walk single file along the area and even at times especially during school run we end up on the roads. Can the Council or anyone enforce the owners to trim these bushes asap!

Hi wonderroman,

If you email [email protected] with precise details.

Officers will then inspect, if a problem they'll write to the property owner giving them two weeks to fix, if they don't the council organises the works to be done and charge the residents. The council contractors are not cheap!

I've had a partially sited person at one of my surgeries who collided with such overhanging bushes, he was taken to hospital and lost some of the little remaining sight he had in one of his eyes. So rare type of incident and the home owner were fortunate he didn't connect with one of those no win no fee lawyers.

hi first Mate,

I should be able to give an update later this week.

More road closures for community parties:

Sunday 7 June Winterbrook road (Play Street) 3-6pm. Fab any other streets interested in doing this get in touch.

Saturday 13 June

Carver Road 9am-9pm

Copleston Road 11am-6pm

Sunday 14 June

Derwent Grove 1-6pm

FABULOUS. Hope weather is great for all these street parties + 1 Play Street.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you email [email protected] with

> precise details.

> Officers will then inspect, if a problem they'll

> write to the property owner giving them two weeks

> to fix, if they don't the council organises the

> works to be done and charge the residents. The

> council contractors are not cheap!

Who are these "not cheap" contractors?

What is being done about this?

John K

hi edhistory,

it would never be cheap for professional contractors to come and do a little job on a residential garden. So I would always counsel people don't let their gardens get to that state. Also a hugely cut back hedge can look really unsightly with no leave left facing he street.

Southwark have to cover their costs of organising this, recovering payment, etc.

setter Wrote:

> Hi James - Apologies if someone's asked this

> already but what's happening about enforcing the

> 20mph speed limit? Just witnessed a skip hire

> truck doing about 40mph on Barry Road.

Agree setter - some cars on barry road specifically are going way too fast and there really needs to be action to slow down some of the traffic.

setter Wrote:

> Hi James - Apologies if someone's asked this

> already but what's happening about enforcing the

> 20mph speed limit? Just witnessed a skip hire

> truck doing about 40mph on Barry Road.

Short answer: nothing. No resources are being put into enforcement, so the Council are simply appealing to people's better nature. Good luck with that.

Hi setter,

Southwark Council have plans to review all speeds and have allocated ?700k for additional works for the areas with the worse problem of speeding post 20mph.

In some respects I hope Barry Road is the worst so we'll see some of that money spent here. But I suspect it isn't the worst across the whole of Southwark.

About 2 years ago I suggested to the Labour cabinet councillor a way of getting average speed cameras there at no cost to Southwark - a scheme from Siemens paid for by 3-4 people being sent t speed awareness courses each day. Sadly no interest to even consult locals about this as a possibility.

Hi James,

What do "additional works" generally consist of? Does that just mean speed bumps?

I'm all for enforcing the speed limit, but personally hate speed bumps. They're uncomfortable and annoying (mainly on my bicycle but also in the car). Many around Southwark are so poorly designed that you actually have to go way below the speed limit (in a car) unless you want a very sudden jolt. It also doesn't sound like they do much good for the suspension.

I know some people are really against speed cameras but I don't see a problem with the odd average speed camera. It works on the Rotherhithe tunnel - no one speeds and no one gets frustrated being stuck behind someone observing the law.

Yes Lazero speed bumps, raised tables at junctions and crossing.

I also hate speed bumps whether cycling, passenger on bus, car, etc. For some they're extrucitatingly painful if back problems, etc. Thery're a blunt instrument.

I agree with your take on average speed cameras. But London has a lonson Camera Partnership controlled by the mayor of London. So I'm not clear if we can have them locally without LCP agreement - let me find out.

Lazero Wrote:

> Hi James,

>

> What do "additional works" generally consist of?

> Does that just mean speed bumps?

>

> I'm all for enforcing the speed limit, but

> personally hate speed bumps. They're uncomfortable

> and annoying (mainly on my bicycle but also in the

> car). Many around Southwark are so poorly designed

> that you actually have to go way below the speed

> limit (in a car) unless you want a very sudden

> jolt. It also doesn't sound like they do much good

> for the suspension.

>

> I know some people are really against speed

> cameras but I don't see a problem with the odd

> average speed camera. It works on the Rotherhithe

> tunnel - no one speeds and no one gets frustrated

> being stuck behind someone observing the law.

I couldn't agree more

Hello James,

Please can you update us on the East Dulwich Station / garden centre site? Specifically:

1. Are Morrisons still planning on opening a store there?

2. Is the new library still happening?

3. The site is an eyesore ? can the developers be asked to do something about it, particularly with the hoardings narrowing the pavement right outside the station?

Hi BNG<

Yes, I believe so. Yes but Southwark Council gave the developer the run around for some tweaks to make the build simpler and mitigate the huge build inflation. They keep hoping to get started on site and will therefore need the whole cutailage of their site. But I'll dig out their details and ask.

Hi Ozymodo,

Yes, it is a pickle. It appears flats above the shops are doing this. Council officers 3 weeks ago assured me they were on top of this but clearly not enough. I will ask again.

Hi Missdumpling,

The lcoal ones are being funded via Cleaner, Greener, Safer funding. Effectively trialling them on a very sdmall scale.

I hope we can scale this up significantly and use Section 106 funds from big developments - promoting people to cycle from East Dulwich to work makes big developments in the north of the borough more feasible throguh relief of public transport.

If you email me I'll try andget your street at the top of the next list of sites.

regards james.

Street Parties/Events:

Friday 26 June 4-7pm Archdale Road is closed

Sunday 28 June 11am-5pm Hollingbourne Road (Warmington Road - Herne Hill) will be closed.

If you'd like to close your road to hold a Street Party or Play Event get in touch so Cllr Rosie Shimell or I can help.