Post Office queue - a different view of East Dulwich

Reg Smeeton

any patience i had with the local post offices was exterminated by that awful 'people's post office' advertising campaign that they are running - the people in the adverts (the old gent and his various sidekicks) seem to be like a bunch of woeful incompetents. no wonder the post office is going out of business if it's staffed by dolts like those.

Are you trying to suggest that forumites aren't aware of the immediate environment around them Reg??

In which case, I find this pretty patronising.

Posting on here for me (and I'm sure many) is mainly fun, sometimes informative, but what I read on here/post is by no means wholly demonstrative of who I am or an indication of my awareness of my surroundings.

Typically we're going to post about things we enjoy or would like to know more about - doesn't mean that's the limit of our personalities/knowledge.

If you really want to see a cross section of life, try Kings Emergency Dept.

The last couple of times I've been into the Lordship Lane Post Office there has been no queue at all, much to my amazement.

It also seems to be undergoing some sort of brightening-up process.

I quite like going in there as I find the staff very friendly.

I usually try to remember to take a book to read in the queue though.....

This post is a perfect illustration of the pretentious middle class status anxiety that is a problem with many of the people in this area. The original poster is obviously shocked to have seen some "poor people" in the post office! Does that make him feel uncomfortable?

East Dulwich is neither a middle class area nor a working class area. It is a normal area with people from a wide range of incomes, races and backgrounds. The dermographic of ED and quality of shops and restaurants is very similar to the average small town outside of London. People think it is 'special' because it doesn't have the swathes of decaying council properties that exist in surrounding areas.

The problem with East Dulwich is the tossers who think that drinking at Green and Blue and shopping at White Stuff is a badge of honour which confirms they are better than the 'poor people'. Idiots who deliberately spend more money to buy the same goods from Somerfield rather than Iceland because it makes them feel better about themsleves.

All hail the East Dulwich Elite!!

eater81 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

Idiots who

> deliberately spend more money to buy the same

> goods from Somerfield rather than Iceland because

> it makes them feel better about themsleves.

Oh yes.. those aspiring 'Somerfield Snobs'. They're definitely the worst.

eater81 Wrote:

Idiots who

> deliberately spend more money to buy the same

> goods from Somerfield rather than Iceland because

> it makes them feel better about themsleves.

>

xxxxxx

They must be bonkers.

Iceland has three packets of spare ribs for a fiver :))

And three bottles of not too ghastly wine for a tenner :))

Sorry admin, off topic, slaps self hard on wrist ......

eater81 Wrote:

> Yes, that's right. You are all far better than the

> people of Dartford and Nuneaton. East Dulwich is a

> far superior place.

>

> Would you mind telling me exactly what you think

> the dermographic of ED is anyway?

Away with you and your laughable bourgeois self-hatred...where does anyone say anything about superior?

Bit of a tricky one that seeing as so many people travel to ED. Can you say anyone there is a true representation. For me its the people that work in ED. They are there more than any other person, apart from the bugaboo brigade, and remember ED is not just Lordship Lane. As everyone who has lived in Ed says - Its changed. And its the people that change it, not the place. Smile say hello and get to know your neighbours, or alternatively sit behind a computer and smile at a screen and say hello, its a start.

But we have already been defined, categorised and packaged up for the world's commercial companies to effectively target us, the poor, superficial lemmings that we are. Have you seen the ACORN rating for your street? Each individual UK postcode has been given an ACORN rating followed by an amusing/patronising review. Hours of fun!

find out your ACORN rating

N.B this isn't mystreet - just for purely research purposes!

"People are generally younger, typically under 40. There are some single parents, but most households comprise single people renting and sharing flats or terraced houses. The accommodation is small, often only one or two bedrooms. Around 35% of the population is black or Asian. Both minorities occur in broadly equal proportion across this type.

The level of education is above average, and jobs tend to be managerial or clerical. Levels of students, people working in the Public Sector and unemployment are all somewhat above the national average.

These people do not need cars given their urban lifestyles. Instead, they will get about by walking and using public transport. They tend to go to coffee shops, and lunch in pubs or restaurants on a regular basis. They may also spend time in an art gallery or going to the theatre.

Relatively high numbers have cable TV and DVD players. Reading, and sometimes religious activity also play a part in their leisure activities. They have some interest in current affairs and might be readers of The Guardian, Observer or Independent.

Increasingly they will use new technology such as telephone, PC and mobile phone for banking purposes. Many would like to upgrade to gold and platinum credit cards. More realistically, others are planning to pay off their debt."