Dulwich Baths - refurbishment timetable

EDmummy

I'm pretty disappointed to see that everyday after school is swim school - no general swim (except Friday - the one day I can't take them swimming).

Does that mean the whole pool is used by swim school at the only time that primary aged children can regularly swim apart from weekends? (ie between 4 - 6.30) I've been taking my kids to peckham pulse every Weds at 4pm for some after school fun and exercise - especially important in the dark winter months when parks close early. I was really looking forward to being able to walk down the road instead. Looks like I'll still be going to Peckham every week.

Don't understand the need for so much 100% adult lane swim - particularly given the large number of young families in the area (as acknowledged by Southwark with the Primary School bulge classes). Disappointed that I cannot take my kids swimming on Saturday morning. Sunday a little better but still massively dominated by adults-only. Pool looks great otherwise

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> Kids swimming. I'll ask what can be done with the

> timetable.

Please don't. I am overjoyed to see that there is earlier adult lane swim, unlike at Peckham Rye where it starts at 8 which is just way too late. Adult swim after work is perfect. Please please please do not change this!

Looked at pool on the way to a class - looks great - will hopefully get a chance to use it next week. Reception area looks fabulous and the staff seem pleased to be in such a nice space.

Couple of teething problems with the air con upstairs, but apart from that Stage I looks very successful. Roll on Stage II and the refurbished gym.

I've just arrived home from the lunchtime adult swim session and would agree with Chocoholic.

Today was the first time I'd used the Dulwich Leisure Centre and the new pool and changing rooms are good enough to make me consider cancelling my private gym membership which is costing me far too much. I'd looked inside the old reception area before so I know that the new one is a massive improvement.

Sorry Ratty, but need to disagree on this one. Given our looming obesity crisis, encouraging children to keep fit in a fun way is crucial and a local priority for our health and social services (and where else can kids go to run around and let off steam after 4pm on winter evenings? I am always looking for answers to that problem). You can't expect little ones to be swimming past 7pm on a school night - nothing wrong with having dedicated adult lane swimming times but it dominates the timetable. Very few windows for kids to swim here. and just after school is ideal. Why does swim school need to take over whole pool every weekday?

Can we all concentrate on celebrating a brilliantly revamped Dulwich Pool.

Council officers and contractors have done a really great job giving us the facility ex.Cllr Richard Thomas, Cllr Jonathan Mitchell and I envisaged back in 2005.

I think the timetable does need tweaking so that kids can go for a swim after school. That should'nt get in the way of adults swimming when they're likely to swim. This is a win win and this pool is for ALL the community.

Council officers have already fed back on the idea of making more time available for kids to swim outside of swim school.

The Dulwich Pool timetable for its reopening is based on the previous pool timetable before it closed to be rebuilt/renovated. The swimming lesson/swim school times are on a like for like basis. However, if demand has changed with the dramatically better pool - AND IT REALLY IS MUCH BETTER - then the timetable will evolve to reflect that demand. Frankly the old pool wasn't somewhere you'd go for leisure swimming. The new pool absolutely is.

So if you have ideas abotu the pool post them here.

Hi karter,

The gym will be temporarily relocated into the new studios made with the pool redevelopment. New entrance on Crystal Palace Road. Hope you like it.

Just came back from a swim with my little boy. Pool was fantastic. Obviously not as warm as the baby pool at peckham, so little ones may want to wear wetsuits for longer swims. Very impressed with the quality of the renovations and the friendly, helpful staff. I hope fusion maintain the quality. Well done and thanks to everyone involved in the project

I totally agree that it's fantastic the pool has opened and is vastly improved etc - and apologize for kicking off with a whinge - but as a Fusion member for many years and a regular at the centre - I have been really looking forward to going swimming with my kids there - and they've been talking it about for weeks now - so that was a real disappointment to see so few opportunities for a family swim throughout the week. It would be great news if the number of general sessions could be extended - even if that does mean only having access to half the pool to accomodate classes. Thanks James.