Dulwich Baths - refurbishment timetable

EDmummy

I noticed today that the scaffolding is coming down from the entrance. Hopefully that's a positive sign, let's all reassure ourselves it will be worth the wait. I think it's the best thing that will have (hopefully) happened in East Dulwich for years. Much more of a benefit than extra shops and restaurants although I welcome them too.

I've lived here for nearly 20 years. I have happy memories of cheap 'family swims' when my children were very young, my daughter can now join me for 'women only' sessions.

I expect the place will be mobbed when it first opens but probably settle down fairly quickly.

Since joining this forum this has been my most searched thread and thanks to James Barber for your imput. I'm going to remain opptimistic and guess it will open early, rather than, late July.:))

• 4 weeks later...

James, does "The new entrance on Crystal Palace Road and complete rebuilt pool and new studios should be opening late winter/early spring 2010. " mean 1) late winter 2010 or early spring 2011 or does it mean 2) late winter 2009 or early spring 2010? Can you clarify?

Cheers

Gimme

I've just asked the lead officer for latest news.

I now when the Lib Dems ran the council that the contractor was working flat out to make up time for the delays caused by the unseasonally colder 1 in 30 year winter = concrete wont set and more non concrete and mortar setting days than usual.

Hi bon3yard,

Dulwich renovations were under way. Camberwell Pool monies came together. Camberwell Pool such a pickle decision to get on with it despite two pools being closed at the same time. The sooner each is finished the more people will go swimming at each pool as they'll be significantly more attractive and many past users we hope will return to these pools.

Together they're the largest leisure investment programme by a borough in London ?12.3M from memory.

What hasn't helped is Dulwich renovations being delayed by the much colder winter than normal apparently holding up concrete and mortaring etc.

I've been reassured that no futher slippages expected. That the contractors VERY keen to finish and move onto their next project. That the final opening date will be a decision for the new Labour councillor in charge of the Leisure portfolio. Hopefully they'll be as competent as the previous post holders.

Together they're the largest leisure investment programme by a borough in London ?12.3M from memory.

I would dispute either your claim or your memory. ?12.5m is being invested in Forest Hill swimming pools in Lewisham borough and I believe significantly more was spent on renovating Kentish Town (Camden borough).

• 3 weeks later...

Just received letter from the new Labout Cabinet member for Leisure stating pool will reopen in August. Seems to have slipped by a month since the May elections.

Releived that project so far progressed that this flagship Lib Dem project will be finished.

August not ideal but at least it will be in place for the new school year. Shame the summer holidays wont see kids beign kept busy swimming.

Hello James,

Even allowing for the usual, elastic council-speak (spring/summer 2010) this slippage is not acceptable. Neither is blaming it on the 'cold weather'. We had about two weeks' worth of unusually bad weather, and not all of that consisted of consecutive days, so using that as a reason won't wash. This kind of episode is why people get turned off from politics, local or national.

Given that Inkmaiden said on 17th May that she had -

"asked a member of staff last week when the pool was re-opening and he said due to some problems they've had it will be August at the earliest" -

it seems a bit odd that Cllr Barber seems to be blaming the new Cabinet Member for Leisure for a delay that had clearly been factored in before they had even been appointed! Nero makes a good case here.

hidc,

I have'nt blamed anyone.

I'm expressing frustration that until the local elections I was being told July. I checked this with officers several times and was told July - this after a lnog string of delays and assurance all this year that contractor was working weekends to catch-up. After elections we're told August. The only thing to have changed, as no new reasons for the delays, is which party leads the council.

The result will potentially be the pool not being open for the summer holidays. And as a result one less thing to keep local kids busy.

regards james.

Hi SteveT,

Not really a fair comparison.

New school a demolition and rebuild - on site taking around 18months.

Renovated Dulwich Pool - listed building - on site for 15 months for pool + another 7 months for other parts - while keeping half the site working at any time.

I probably added a month by insisting the pool roof be insulated. A worrying evening formally objecting to the planning application on these grounds. Fortunately resolved with a condition and last moment agreement.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> hidc,

> I have'nt blamed anyone.

> I'm expressing frustration that until the local

> elections I was being told July. I checked this

> with officers several times and was told July -

> this after a lnog string of delays and assurance

> all this year that contractor was working weekends

> to catch-up. After elections we're told August.

> The only thing to have changed, as no new reasons

> for the delays, is which party leads the council.

>

> The result will potentially be the pool not being

> open for the summer holidays. And as a result one

> less thing to keep local kids busy.

>

> regards james.

In light of the number of "slippages" in the last 6 months, then this one can come as no surprise. I would assume they are nearing snagging stage and then there is probably some checking to be done by govt bodies (HSE?) so putting August date may mean that it will be absolutely ready in August and opened rather than being given yet another date. This not a political issue and should not be turned into one.

It is a political issue because politics is all, EDMummy. I don't care whether it is Labour, Con, LibDem council that is doing (or not doing) the work - if the money I spend on taxes isn't, in my opinion, being well spent, then I will complain, regardless of my politial affiliation. If it were not public money things would have been a lot different, I can safely wager.

Update sent today

As new Cabinet member for Culture, Leisure, Sport and the Olympics I am very pleased to be able to send you this update about the progress of Dulwich Leisure Centre. I look forward to hearing any feedback from you about the new developments.

The refurbishment project is proceeding well and there are a number of interesting new developments since the last communication you received, in December 2009. One point of particular note is that access for people with mobility and visual problems has been significantly improved across the site. From the moment you arrive, step-free access, lowered counters, high contrast surfaces, dedicated accessible changing and clear wayfinding signage, all contribute to a centre that is now inclusive to all. The centre will be reopening in two phases:

Phase 1 ? Pool area refurbishment, relocated main reception, and studios

This is a very exciting time as we prepare the final few months before reopening. The first phase has seen the steel frame of the new building transformed into a welcoming reception, with light?filled dance studios on the first floor. The refurbished pool area has been brought up to 21st century standards of leisure provision while at the same time optimising many of the building?s much-loved Victorian features.

Here are a few highlights of what has been achieved over the last six months:

? The pool area has been completely re-tiled, and the new pool hall roof (insulated and re-glazed) now permits optimum natural light throughout the area

? Wet and dry changing areas have been relocated and entirely re-configured with more space, contemporary fittings and family-sized lockers

? There is a new pool-side, glass-fronted, seated viewing area for visitors to safely watch the activity taking place in the water

? For the first time there will be a seated waiting area in reception with caf? provision

? A much-requested cr?che facility with soft-play area has been reinstated in a larger location

? Roof mounted solar thermal panels have been installed to pre-heat water and reduce subsequent demand on the boilers

? The air handling system features carbon dioxide sensing equipment to determine the number of people using a defined area and adjusts the fan speed of the air handling to match

? The pool has been fitted with a UV filter to remove the majority of pollutants and microbes etc. This will reduce chlorine levels and improve water conditions for all swimmers

? Low energy light fittings have been installed throughout and have been coupled, where possible, with sensors that turn off lights when the room is not being used

Phase 2 ? Gym refurbishment and temporary provision

The good news is that we have been able to provide gym provision throughout the refurbishment. In Phase 2, (starting in August 2010) we will continue to do so by temporarily relocating gym facilities to the first floor studios in the new reception building in Crystal Palace Road. This will allow the Phase 2 work within the gym and current entrance building to begin. Details will be available on the website and at the centre nearer the time.

New Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) are now available on the Southwark web site (see link route below) and additional paper copies are at the centre. If your question is not answered there, please use the online form on the web site or the address below and we will respond to you directly.

You can also still see previous communications from the refurbishment project by visiting our web site www.southwark.gov.uk/investinginleisure on the left hand side you will see a tab for the Dulwich Leisure Centre specific web page, and you will find earlier documents on that page. If you wish to be posted a copy please request this from the address overleaf.

Southwark Council is committed to providing high quality, accessible swimming and leisure facilities to all residents and is making this ?6.1 million investment for the wellbeing of the population now and for years to come.

Yours sincerely

Councillor Veronica Ward

Cabinet Member for Culture, Leisure, Sport & Olympics

4th Floor North

Southwark Council

PO Box 64529

London SE1P 5LX

Office Tel: 020 7525 7226/7159