Dulwich Baths - refurbishment timetable

EDmummy

Was standard at the time these pools built I think. Greenwich Baths are the same - instead of turning one pool into a gym like Dulwich, they have one as a leisure pool with slides and one as a training pool.

so the them and us attitude sometimes exhibited on this forum nothing new!

A good little tip is to join the great new gym at Brockwell lido, more expensive than Dulwich but you get to use Brockwell, Peckham Pulse, Dulwich Leisure Centre or the one at Elephant, as well as Waverley Girls school behind the Rye. For some strange reason members of the Dulwich leisure centre are not entitled to use Brockwell, so definitely worth paying the extra for the best of all worlds! The lido has great facilities, sauna steam etc - although swimming outside is now a little cold! It is a shame that they have made no provision for sauna and steam at the renovated Dulwich leisure centre but I suppose a creche was more popular when the surveys were conducted.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I received this from the Council today - thought I would post it up for all to read, and please don't shoot me I'm just the messenger. Any comments should probably be sent to [email protected] as he authored the below.

The refurbishment project is proceeding well and there are a number of exciting developments to report since our last communication in April 2009;

1. Phase 1 works commenced onsite on Tuesday May 5 2009 (on time) and are progressing well.

Some of you may have already seen the steel frame being constructed for the new Crystal Palace Road entrance building, giving you a good idea as to where the new entrance will be, and the generously proportioned dance studios at first floor level. The pool hall has had its new, double glazed lantern lights installed along the top of the roof line, allowing vast amounts of natural light to flood into the pool area.

2. Gym facilities will be available throughout the refurbishment works.

The refurbishment works are being phased, and the new pool and disability-compliant entrance from Crystal Palace Road will be delivered first. Although your gym and changing facilities will be open as usual, there may be small amounts of disruption from the construction works. We apologise for this inconvenience and will aim to keep disruption to a minimum.

In late spring 2010 ? at the end of Phase 1 ? gym facilities will be relocated up to the new first floor dance studios. This will allow the Phase 2 work within the gym hall and current entrance building to get started.

3. Interior design plans are progressing

, and we?ve some exciting ideas for the new building. As well as information screens and visual reminders of its Victorian past, Dulwich Leisure Centre will blend in contemporary finishes that you would expect of a 21st Century leisure facility.

4. New Frequently Asked Questions

are now available on the Southwark web site (see link route over the page) and additional paper copies are at the Centre. If your question is not answered there, please use the online form and we will respond to you directly.

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/YourServices/SportsandLeisure/leisureinvestment/dulwich.html

Southwark Council is committed to providing top class swimming and leisure facilities to all residents and users in the borough, and is making this ?5 million investment for the wellbeing of its users now and for years to come.

Finally, may I take this opportunity to wish you all a happy and peaceful holiday break. I look forward to bringing you further news about the exciting developments at Dulwich Leisure Centre in the New Year.

Yours sincerely,

Councillor Lewis Robinson

Executive Member for Culture, Leisure & Sports

4th Floor North

Southwark Council

PO Box 64529

London SE1P 5LX

Office Tel: 020 7525 7159

[email protected]

This is one of the election promises I stood for in 2006 - a completely renovated Dulwich Leisure Centre/Pool.

My ward colleagues cllr Richard Thomas, Jonthan Mitchell and I are REALLY proud this is happening.

We were speaking to the Fusion Manager on Sunday he said the new pool looks fab. Very exciting.

• 3 months later...

I'm shocked at this suggestion.

I have just contacted the relevant director in Southwark Council to try and establish the facts.

The pool was due to re open late Spring and then phase 2 starts where the gym temporarily located to the new dance studios while the main gym is renewed.

So reception could have been responding to the pool or gym reopening.

So I will find out ASAP and post the response.

Yes you can pay as you go but it will work out cheaper with a fusion membership. Can't remember the costs but pretty reasonable. You will have to pay (I think) ?30 for induction and that goes for full membership or pay as you go with fusion card. I worked it out that two trips to the gym per week paying on the day was almost the same as full membership. So if you think you'll go on average nore than two times a week throughout the entire year full membership would be the best bet. You can get the prices off their web site.

I asked about the pool the other day and they also told me August, which is a great shame as I live really close by and would love to swim early morning before work.

Does anyone know how much it is for a swim with the Fusion card? I don't want to join the gym, just swim. Do they do a sim only membership? I did enquire but the lady I asked just gave me a bunch of leaflets that didn't really tell me anything...