Rose Pub Forest Hill Road, is it closed?

Kamonfeek

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Obviously plenty people must like it, if every new

> pub insists on having the bloody stuff!

I don't like it.. They used to have Jazz in The EDT on Sunday afternoon. is was awful. Tuneless sax Improvisation.

Foxy.

DulwichFox Wrote:

>

>

> I don't like it.. They used to have Jazz in The

> EDT on Sunday afternoon. is was awful. Tuneless

> sax Improvisation.

>

Not all jazz is the same, you know - and there are good and bad musicians in every genre :)

Watson's General Telegraph

(formerly Forest Hill Tavern, Rose Tavern)

108 Forest Hill Road

Peckham Rye

East Dulwich

LONDON

SE22 0RS

View on Map

No real ale.. Real Ale is NOT Available

Telephone (020) 8693 3838

Website watsonstelegraph.pub

Premises Status

This pub is currently closed. Reopening 28th Jan 2016

Opening Times

12-Midnight

DulwichFox

Why the no real ale in bold above? Their website says the following:

"Beer, we?ve got beer. Twenty taps to choose from. Will that do you? An amazing 12 taps are devoted to craft beer, including 8 on rotation. These will be split equally between local breweries and the best that the global scene has to offer. The huge range of craft cans and bottles will be available to take away at a discounted price. There?ll also be six hand pull pumps for cask ales and cider, again serving a constantly rotating selection."

Milhouse Wrote:

> Why the no real ale in bold above?

The info came from the WhatPub.com (CAMRA)website.. and the Real Ale is NOT Available with NOT emphasized.

I dont know ? Will check it out some time soon.. Curry Club ar going there on 11th Feb.

DulwichFox

Jeremy Wrote:

> Yes the wall of taps looks great... but from the

> picture, LOOKS like they're all keg lines (i.e.

> not cask/ale)

>

> We'll see!

Well but from the website...

There?ll also be six hand pull pumps for cask ales and cider, again serving a constantly rotating selection.

Foxy.

I went in tonight. Can confirm there were several cask ales. As well as a handful of regular lagers, and a plethora of crafts.

Not sure I like it though. It's a bit "showy" for my tastes. There was a band playing bad jazz and generic 12 bar blues, and I actually wanted to kill them. Food was quite expensive (?13 burger and chips). They were operating a "one in one out" queue, even though it wasn't that packed. Lots of bouncers.

I assume the one in one out policy was to stop the place getting too busy on first night to give the bar staff a chance.

Bouncers will probably be there for first few weeks to keep the customers form the orders incarnations of the pub selling their supplementary stimulants

I can't wait to try it, it's my nearest pub and I really like the old nuns head so hope it's similar

I'm so pleased someone has taken on this pub and is making a real effort. I haven't been in yet, so can only pass judgement on the outside. However, I am a designer (graphics, and interiors) and I'm afraid I'm really not keen on the logo. Before this went up everything was looking great. I love the simple white capital lettering with the black background, but when I walked past yesterday and saw the rather large 'Adventure bar' style WGT signage, I was very, very saddened.

Please, please, please, to all the people out there in the process of creating a frontage for your premises, please consider this extremely carefully. It can make or break a business.

To the owners of Watson's General Telegraph, is there any way you will reconsider? Everything else appears to look (well through the window and on your website anyway) really stylish and I'm really excited about popping in!

pablogrande Wrote:

> I assume the one in one out policy was to stop the

> place getting too busy on first night to give the bar staff a chance.

Yes you are probably right.

I was quite impressed that they'd managed to get it busy on the first night... quite a few young (compared to me) people. Lots of made-up girls obviously on a "night out" rather than just a quick drink in the local. They must have a good social media guy on their team!

My beer-fuelled post last night was a little harsh. There is plenty to like about it, including the great beer selection, and large covered garden area (with fire pits) for the smokers. Food does look good (if a bit pricey). It might not be to my tastes... but they clearly know what they're doing.