The war memorial at Dulwich Common

At Camberwell Old Cemetery are the graves of 285 First World War and 14 Second World War burials. The two screen walls are carved with the names of the FWW and there are headstones of the Second World War fallen. There is a separate headstone for a young Able Seaman from Bermondsey, Albert McKenzie. AB Mckenzie was awarded a VC for his part in the Zeebruuge raid. He eventually died of wounds some months later. One small cross, one poppy and some flowers have been placed there to show that they are not forgotten.

I understand that there is civilian war dead memorial located at Camberwell Old Cemetery. The sweeping curved screen walls are worth a visit and the names carved on them represent a cross-section of our armed services, including The First Surryes. AB McKenzie's VC headstone would justify a visit in itself. The cemetery gardens are an oasis of peace and reflection.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got back from laying a wreath at the St Peters Church (Deeper Bible Church) at the bottom of Lordship Lane on behalf of Southwark labour Councillors. A moving service. A big thanks to the Pastor and congregation of the church. Also to the local army cadets and the band.

They shall not grow old,

as we that are left grow old,

age shall not weary them,

nor the years condemn

At the going down of the sun,

and in the morning,

we will remember them.

Councillor Charlie Smith

East Dulwich Ward Member

Dear Penguin68, it is common practice for individual political party's to lay a wreath on behalf of themselves. Today, up and down the country lots of different groups will be laying their own wreaths. These will include local churches and other organisations. In Whitehall this morning wreaths were laid on behalf of all the various regiments of the armed forces. Others represented there to day who laid their own wreaths were London Transport and the Salvation Army.

Charlie Smith

Does it matter if there was a wreath by the liberal Democrat or not or any other party saying. The most important thing is that the people that care were there at the time.

RIP to all the men and women that gave there lives for our freedom.

I can remember back in the late 60's when I was little, going down East Lane market on a Remembrance Sunday morning

and my dad telling me to stand still. Everyone was standing still and the men took off their hats.

Cars and Buses also stopped in the road. Drivers got out and stood by their cars..

Hard to imagine now.. but back then much of Peckham & Camberwell right up to the Elephant and Castle and the City

were still flattened.

DulwichFox

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I wanted to be there but not well enough to

> attend. Which was disappointing as first year I've

> missed attending such a ceremony.

>

> P68, I think you've a made a useful point which

> will change how I approach these things. Thank

> you.

I hope you feel better soon.

• 1 year later...

edhistory Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Another year comes around.

>

> Attached is a scan of the lucifer box cover that

> was produced by Dulwich Hamlet Football Club

> during the 1919-20 season to record the club's

> Roll of Honour.

The club is having a wreath-laying ceremony on Friday from 7pm:

"Dulwich Hamlet Football Club would like to invite all fans to a short non-denominational wreath laying service in the club?s boardroom to remember those connected with the club who gave their lives.

The bar will be open after the service and we will be showing the England vs Scotland match."