The war memorial at Dulwich Common

• 2 weeks later...
The Dulwich Volunteer Battalion originally the Dulwich and District Athletic Assoc.then the Dulwich Defence league originated from a meeting held in Sep 1914 at Lordship Lane Hall. They never went overseas but grew into a highly organised battalion. Probaly disbanded in 1919.

Congratulations to all those involved in project war memeorial

As a WW1 enthusiast and resident of Dulwich I began writing a book on Dulwich and the great war several years ago.

The Dulwich and district Athletic Assoc. became the Dulwich Defence League which eventually became the Dulwich Volunteer Battalion. The idea originated at a meeting held at Lordship Lane Hall Sep 1914 which was for recruitment into Kitcheners New Army, among those chairing were Major Fred Hall our MP. lOCAL Volunteers and they came in hundres were asked

to join the colours and those unable were urged to support the Association.

The Constitutional Club was used as a rifle range, but as the Battalion grew men in different companies would meet nightly at the Golf links where they paraded/drilled. Lectures were held at the Lordship Lane Hall which also doubled as the orderly room. There was a cyclist Co, a signaling Co and eventually (much later on) a boys Corps for preenlistment age, who were paid pocket money. The Battalion band were well known and played across the Borough raising funds for wounded servicemen. They also won several shooting trophies. They also wore the same kit eventually as the Army, which I believe was funded by subs and donationa as the Battalion was self funded. The standard was very high so men who had attested "Derby Men" awaitnging call up could do their basic training with the Battalion.

They have no connection (as far as I know) with the First Surrey Rifles, who dated back to Napoleon time as volunteers, the First Surrey tag comes from 1859 when the Locsal Volunteers enlisted under Queen Victoria, thereby earning the tag The First Surrey Rifles as Dulwich then was in Surrey. In 1908 Lord Haldane and the Lords Lietenants created the Territorial Force so the FSR who were then known as a rifle volunteer corps RVC became overnight a TF Battalion, being renamed the 21st County of London Batt. (The First Surrey Rifles). But the FSR are connected to Dulwich College The OTC officer Training Corps supplied junior officers for the Territorials and the Reserve.

I do not know much about the war memorial at St Peters, but I do know it was used by the Battalion for services etc, the Church that is, there was a rollof honor inside and allegedly a carved wooden war memorial that is supposed to be in Camberwell somewhere.

IN 2006 myself and local people laid 2 wreathes at High Wood to mark the 90th anniverary and everyear according to numbers I take a small coach to the Western Front. This year Armistice year I will definately going sometime.

The FSR are also remembered by the FSR Assoc. who visit the Somme yearly and also at St Giles Church where they lay a wreath.

Have we forgotten yet? asked Siegfried Sasson. No!

Thank you jaytyger, I look forward to reading your book when it is published.

A couple of questions based on your narrative:

> the Golf links where they paraded/drilled. Lectures were held at the Lordship Lane Hall

Were the golf links the East Dulwich ones above the water reservoirs?

Where was Lordship Lane Hall? I've read about it quite a few times in various sources but have never been able to identify the location.

MacRoban

Hi Macroban

thanks for the comments. The Golf links were the name given to the Golf club/range opposite the grove or thereabouts. There was also a wooden watch tower there to spot for zeppelins.Lordship Lane Hall was apparently near Wood Vale and was supposed to be quite sumptious as wedding receptions were held there etc. I have read my narrative and cant believe the amount of spelling mistakes I uncovered. oopps!

best wishes to all

jaytyger.

• 2 months later...
I think you will find that the Dulwich & District Defence League became the 1st/12th London Battalion [The Rangers] and cap badges are still to be found for both through companies such as British Badge. I lived in Archdale Road from August 1940 to April 1963. High Wood barracks used to hold military displays and I believe at one stage had SAS billeted there in the early 1950's. I can recall them driving in an open jeep along Lordship Lane. I attended St Johns & St Clements school in North Cross road and services in the hall at Bassano Street as the church on Goose Green had been bombed. I will attempt to add some more information later this year.

About time we built a new memorial for all those killed in the Iraq War. It should include a list of all those who voted for it! Change for the better and demand we build new memorials and stop fussing about old ones. Is a life more important because it has a memorial?

• 2 weeks later...
Concerning the SAS at High Wood Barracks. Thanks to BobS for his comment. I have spoken with the SAS Regimental Association and they say that the 21st SAS were there until 1997! I did put the 1968 date to them but they stuck with 1997. What may be of interest is the Archive section at the South London Press. The lady in charge is Hilda and she is there Monday, Tuesday and Wednesdays until 12 noon. She says that they have records going back until 1865 and she can be contacted on 020 8769 4444 at 2-4 Leigham Court Road Streatham SW16.

JeffJames

I was under the impresion that they relocated to Dukes at or around 1968 may be a unofficial presence and I definatley can't argue with the Regimental Association have to look up to Mars & Minerva.

Bob S.

• 3 weeks later...

As this year marks the 90th anniversary of the Armistice, I am currently planning a weekend trip to The Western Front, probaly around the 2nd weekend in September. We will be visiting the Somme and Wipers, and other places of interest. The price will include coach/ferry travel and 2 nights B&B in Lille,the cost should be around the ?220-230 mark.If anyone is genuinely interested than please contact me asap.regards

jaytyger

The First Surrey Rifles had a long connection too with Alleyn's CCF. When they were disbanded in the 60s, quite a few items from the battalion were presented to the Alleyn's CCF, which still has (for instance) the engraved silver bugles which are used on their Remembrance Sunday parade at the Chapel in Dulwich Village, when around 150 Alleyn's boys and girls are in attendance (with about 20 from Dulwich Coillege). The ceremonial uniforms of the FSR's CO were also housed at the school's Officer's Mess for many years until they were transferred to the Army Museum in Chelsea in the early 90s.

• 2 months later...

I believe the memorial is being relocated into the building which stands next to the church (first house) where it will be restored (apparantly) to it's former glory. I think this is the best move, as the congregation which currently occupies that stunning Church obviously do not have any incentive to help with the upkeep of this last reminder of the sacrifice of the men and women of this area.

Louisa.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again,

The work being carried out is by DBR and other companies using the 'Cleaner, Greener, Safer' community grant I secured through the council to rennovate the memorial. The work will hopefully be completed by September, just in time for the anniversary of the Battle of Highwood which is 15th September.

The person overseeing the rennovation and funds being used is Andrea Allen from Southwark Council. We've suggested that we have some sort of 'official opening' and thought Sunday 14th September would be apt. Once we've come up with some loose plan I'll post it on the forum, obviously if anyone wants to get involved and has ideas then please share them.

Louisa, that's the first I've heard about the memorial being relocated to the side building by the church. I know there was talk of moving it to the Highwood Barracks up the road but that wouldn't be for quite a few years and would mean the memorial was left outside at the front of the building.

By the way, I've now moved to Birmingham so have been doing all of this remotely with Andrea! She's sent me a couple of pics of the work in progress but I hope you're all pleased with the work you've seen so far.

:)

PP, I must say I am very impressed with the weight you have been able to put behind this restoration campaign and I will attend the ceremony in September as I did last years Rememberance Sunday service. Could you please elaborate on the exact works which are due to be carried out as I last heard that the memorial was to be moved to a new location so seeing the works takinf place came as quite a shock to me. I have contacted various people at Southwark in recent months but was not aware Andrea Allen was in charge of the restoration project. Thanks a lot for the information you've provided so far.

Louisa.

Hi Louisa,

The works taking place are to restore the fabric of the memorial and flagpole so that it's in better structural and aesthetic condition. The surrounding area will have some landscaping and gardening done, as part of this the trees close by will be lopped back which will improve the area generally as it can be quite dark and gloomy on that corner.

The Southwark Youth Offending Service are still looking to get involved by helping out with the planting and landscaping but what capacity this will take I'm unsure of and now I've moved I'm not as involved.

The other person who could give some information is the local Councillor Lewis Robinson as he was the one who advised me to apply for the grant in the first place and at least he doesn't live in Birmingham!

• 2 weeks later...

As previously mentioned, we will be holding an opening ceremony on Sunday 14th September, and this will start around 12noon. I hope some of those who have followed this thread will be able to join us to celebrate the renovation of the Memorial.

Lewis

• 2 weeks later...