The war memorial at Dulwich Common

Hullo everyone. Writing under "High Wood Barracks," I am the senior officer commanding Dulwich Air cadets and together with the Army Cadets Commander we run the High Wood Cadet Centre on Lordship Lane (which we still refer to as High Wood Barracks to keep the name alive), which is now all that is left of High Wood Barracks (the TA Centre). I thought I should make a contribution to this forum. Firstly some history might serve a useful starting point.

High Wood Barracks were named to commemorate the Battle of High Wood fought on the Somme, Northern France by the men from the villages of Dulwich, Camberwell and Peckham who made up the two battalions of Dulwich's own regiment, the 21st County of London Regiment (The First Surreys).

The 2nd Battalion fought in Egypt while the 1st Battalion on the Somme. The Battle of High Wood began in the afternoon of 15 September 1916 when 550 men led by 19 officers of "The First Surreys" were ordered to make a direct attack on a line of German fortifications which was separating two wings of a British force. When the battalion reached the ridge of High Wood, they came into full view of the enemy guns. The leading platoons were wiped out by heavy German fire, but the survivors kept steadily on until they were able to make a final assault on the German trenches. The engagement had lasted for one hour, during which time "The First Surreys" were virtually annihilated, and when they were ordered to withdraw the following morning, 60 men and two officers returned.

The war memorial on Dulwich Common was erected to honour the 1100 dead of Dulwich's own regiment in that war and of course now, like other memorials other wars too. In 1932 the Barracks were built and named "High Wood" for the same reasons. Now that the Barracks have been knocked down and turned into flats, we at the cadet centre keep the memory going. There are plans being considered to move the memorial to the cadet centre and dedicate the entire cadet centre as the memorial.

The names of the dead were on a memorial in St Giles Church in Camberwell, until the vicar there some years back tore it down and disposed of it.

If this forum is interested, the sacrifice of the men from Camberwell, Dulwich, and peckham is commemorated each year (the nearest Sunday to the 15th September) at St Giles Church, Camberwell. We hope to see you there! Watch this! space for deatils. That is it for now.

It's fantastic to hear that this story of incredible bravery is being kept alive. I'd be fascinated to know more. Is there a book on the battle? Thanks for posting, I'm sure a lot of other people will be fascinated and interested in knowing more about the sacrifices made, which makes the Dulwich Rememberance even more pertinent.

Good Morning,

My name is Greg Mancini, I am the Commanding Officer of the Army Cadets that are based at High Wood Cadet Centre on Lordship Lane (a two minute walk from the Memorial). Every Remememberance Sunday we have attended this memorial and laid a wreath. Known on this Forum as the "Military Wreath". Before I took charge of the Army Cadets I was a cadet and was taught the History of the Battle of High Wood. Learing this history taught us the impact the battle of High wood had on the community. As cadets we would often tend to the Memorial by sweeping the leaves and cutting back any brambles. This practice still continues today and throughtout the year we try keep the memorial clean and tidy and teach new cadets about the local history. Around about 1995 we refurbished this memorial ourselves and a local retired colonel had the flag pole sent away and refurbished.

Before I took over the Army Cadets the unit had been run by John Rayment a local man. He was and still is very intrested in this memorial and has been looking after it with the cadets since 1980. Many years ago he had noticed that this memorial had been forgotten by the majority of the community. He then had a vision of the memorial being moved into the former High Wood Barrcks. Along with Kevin Mehmet the Officer Commanding the Aircadets(based at High Wood Cadet Centre) they both thought that this would be the right thing to do and bring the memorial back to is former glory in a place where it will be well looked after.

This idea had to be put on hold as the Old High Wood Cadet Barracks was demolished making way for flats.

I now know that there is more local intrest into this memorial than I ever thought. What Geat news.

Having met a few local peolpe on Sunday I heard that there were other ideas for the memorial and it was not just us who wanted the memorial to be remembered and noticed by the public.

Our proposal is to have the memorial moved to High Wood Cadet centre and still be on public display. We have made a few enquires about this and it would be interesting to hear what other people think.

If the memorial is to be moved we can keep it as a community project for everyone to help and get involved.

Just think 87 Years ago when this memorial was opened the local community would have never expected for the memoiral to be in condition it now and forgotten about in the way it is now.

I think this is a splendid idea and one that needs supporting and you certainly have mine. I feel that the memorial should be in the barracks and is a right a proper place for it. As long as the barracks exist and the Cadets are taught about the regiments history and the respect that will engender then it won't fall into such disrepair again.

Hello everyone and especially Greg who I met on Sunday and had a good chat with. :)

First of all the wreath, if anyone can get up there to look at it before it starts wilting please do as it's really beautiful John Allan Flowers did a really good job and I was very proud to put it alongside the other 2 wreaths, one from the Army Cadets and one from the local councillors. There were a few of us gathered there on the day including the local councillor, Lewis Robinson, and Martin who works for the Southwark Youth Offending Team and is who I report to for the Reparation Scheme. There was also a journalist from 'Southwark News' so make sure you get a copy of the next edition as there will be a piece about the memorial and possibly a photo of us there.

We had no idea the Army Cadets were coming down as I vaguely knew they were in the area but wasn't sure exactly where their base was. We were all quite touched by them marching down and it made it all the more special with the memorial having the military in attendance, it also meant that the two minutes silence was properly marked with the cadets being ordered to "remove headress" for the two minutes as we were beginning to wonder how we would time it properly!

Afterwards Greg invited us to the barracks where he showed me the book about High Wood and photocopied the piece of information about the battle. Along with Martin we then chatted about the rennovations we were looking to do for the memorial and their idea to move it to the barracks. We were all agreed that it would still be a good idea to carry out the work as planned but maybe not carry out the extensive repairs as planned in case the memorial is moved in the near future. So we will be still be using the money to clear up the area and do some planting around it as well as clean up the memorial and carry out any necessary repairs. At this point as well we are hoping that we can get the Army Cadet Force involved in some way as we don't want to miss the opportunity and also it would be disrespectful considering all the work they do during the year to keep it maintained. We were really excited by this prospect and this also means that hopefully we can get cracking as soon as possible to get this done.

As Greg has said above they are looking to move the memorial to the barracks which I believe is a good idea as it would be properly looked after and maintained and then we would not have to worry about the memory of the men who served ever being forgotten. I asked Greg to look at the forum, especially as I knew there had been a lot of postings about who the memorial was for and how the Dulwich Volunteer Battalion were involved. Greg clarified the history of this which is that the Dulwich Volunteer Battalion was a group of local men who were either too old, too young or unfit to join the armed forces and fight for their country. As posted before there were indeed a sort of precursor to the 'Dads Army' during the second world war but as well as this would have trained and worked with young men able to go to war so they were ready once they joined the Surrey Rifles. The memorial is from them in memory of their comrades who did fight and as Greg rightly pointed out they would have known a lot of them personally from working with them before they went to the front line so it was a very poignant memorial for them.

I know that the Army Cadets come down every year but for me Remembrance Sunday was made extra special having them there.

The High Wood battle casualties are chilling. Imagine the empty seats in an East Dulwich pub after the war.

I would miss not seeing our war memorial several times a week but it may be wise to place it into safe custodianship.

If this happens I would request that there is provision for public access on and around 25 April and 11 November.

Greg & Highwood Barracks you have made my day by posting on the Ed forum. I did not realise that the High Wood Cadet Centre existed and I was fascinated to read the history of the events that took place on 15th September 1916. I am fully supportive of your ideas concerning the war memorial. I run a local pub and would be honoured to help in anyway to raise funds or peoples awareness. I would be happy to place a collection tin in the bar or just assist in spreading the word.

Well Done

I cannot believe that a vicar of all people removed a war memorial with the names of the men who had fallen in World War I, that is an absolute disgrace. Along with moving the memorial, which I agree with, I would be happy to contribute to a fund to recreate this memorial and also place it at High Wood. I was unable to attend 'our' memorial service as I was attending the service held at my Inn of Court where the City of London Yeomanry are based. It is true that having members of the military attend does make a real difference. Would anyone like to volunteer to hold the 'bank' or could the barracks perhaps set up a bank account for donations?

MacR, point taken! Thank you.

The German fortification the Dulwich's Regiment was trying to take (and here, let's not forget the men from Peckham and Camberwell who were also in that regiment) was part of the Tank deployment plans. The book "The Hell They Called High Wood" covers it.

Peckham-Perkster, thank you. I will speak with Greg and get back to you. If a fund were to be set up, I am sure my trustees would look after it as we are a registered charity and publish audited accounts.

However, some news for you all. I am dealing with Southwark Council about this matter and we are looking at what preservatiuon and conservation issues there are. These need to be established before we apply for planning permission and go through that process. So I will keep you posted.

Lastly, I notice how interested you all are about the Forces, so do have a look at this site please:

http://www.1475.org/7001.html

That is it for now.

KM

There's also a memorial to 64 men for died in the First World War (and 6 in the Second) inside St John's Church, Goose Green. I've been trying to find out who they were via the CWGC and 1901 Census. And once I find my way round the form, I'll send the details of the memorial to the Imperial War Museum.

• 2 months later...

Hello again,

Thanks for the link to the article Peckhamgatecrasher, I spoke to the Southwark News about this and let them know DBR were being approached to do some of the work so the journo must have followed this up. I am meeting up with the person responsible for the Reparation Programme on Thursday to go through the plan of action to get the project started. We are waiting to hear back from DBR about how much it's going to cost as there are various options on the work they can do but obviously don't want to blow the entire budget on the masonry work.

I was intrigued to see the cap badge turn up, I hadn't even thought about possible uniforms and militaria associated with the Dulwich Volunteers.

Sandperson - if you can dig up anything about the memorial according to the information available on this thread that would be great. I'm sure there probably isn't anything but you never know!

That's all for now but I will be back very soon with news!

See ya

PP:)