Hurrah, it's back!

All good at our place tho baby C is cutting FOUR teeth at once - 2 up 2 down poor girl, hoping the worst is over thank heaven for Calpol. Big sister just went into meltdown and refused to get dressed for baby pick up so got taken in a dress and coat without shoes or tights....she wont do that again. I am an evil Mummy. We are friends again now though.

Molly

Oh my goodness, wasn't that a loooooooong 2 weeks?! I've had to speak to my husband in the evenings, as well as concentrate on TV programmes and not have to ask every 5 minutes what just happened ;-)

All's sort of well here, although DD apparently has swine flu, however I don't really believe the diagnosis and think it's just a particularly miserable cold. Anyway, she's on the mend - but is also finally cutting some teeth (she's only got 5 and is 16.5 months old!) so that's adding to the misery.

DS has been a bit of a devil child the last few days (my friend thinks it's got something to do with the full moon!), and spent most of last night awake telling us he needed the toilet. It's been happening for a while, but usually just once or twice a night - last night it was literally every half and hour from midnight till 6am :( Any suggestions? He doesn't always actually need, and his nappy is still very wet in the morning (he's dry during the day, has been since June).

So if anyone saw me today and was blanked, I do apologise - when out in public I was doing my utmost to hold it together and not kill either of my children! Today really was one of those days when I would rather have been at work!

And to add to it all... our BT landline hasn't worked for the last 3 weeks and BT claim to have fixed it, my oven has stopped working, the central heating only works when it feels like it, and the boiler is making some very dodgy noises.

Deep breath, glass of wine about to be poured!

P xx

agree - thank goodness for calpol, thank goodness for wine (or gin in my case currently!), thank goodness for the forum being back. Poor you Pickle, sounds like a nightmare. Also agree about missing what's happening on TV, I do exactly the same thing.

Hmm it sounds like life with evil monster children does not get any easier!!!

Karen - I'm told the only way to stop all night eating it is to refuse to feed them and they eventually get the message. And no cry dr sears says crying is ok as long as you cuddle them (I think!). Easier said than done eh? We're doing at least 2 feeds amongst other song and dance routines....and guess what it seems what baby eats during the day has little or no effect on night time waking/feeding. Is that what everyone was trying to tell me?

Pickle - sounds hellish....every half hour..oh my god!

Believe me, by 4am I was ready to throttle him! Mr Pickle took over at that point to avoid me being arrested. Although I did then lie there wondering whether you get a full night's sleep in prison?! And food cooked for you? And washing done? ;-)

Iaineasy, I think I need to get you back to do more work for us - you were the best entertainment for the kids ever! C spends most of the day pretending to paint things and saying "I'm Iain", you definitely made an impression!

Pickle - why does trouble always come in 3's (or 4's or 5's). I hate it when it feels like all the household applicances are out to get you. My dishwasher door only stays closed if I put the bin against it while it runs a cycle, otherwise it 'pings' open half way through. It is 10 years old and I guess more than ready to be replaced, but I just don't have the time to go out and find the right one to buy....sigh.

Really hope things improve for you very soon and that DD feels better soon and DS stops the night weeing thing (no suggestions for that one I'm afraid...except...would he sit on a potty if left by his bed? Would he go on his own if he had a torch to take? All a bit random, but you never know.

Well done Sanity Girl on the potty training - result!

Molly

Pickle, sounds like he is getting ready to night train... can you try lifting him when you go to bed, for eg? As he's a boy I guess it's not a UTI, but if it carries on, you might see the GP just in case? Is he weeing normally in the day?

PS Glad to be back.

hello everyone. my DD is 10 months and still waking up 2 - 3 times in the night. I just returned to 3 days work going full time in a few weeks and she is still waking up. It seems she is hungry - and teething (no teeth still). She is eating a lot during the day but just won't settle at night. I've tried controlled crying but i hate it and she gets so so upset that she actually always does a poo if I try that. not sure what to do anymore and i can't leave her on her own as we are in 1bed flat and her cot is next to our bed. Ho hum. so glad this is back does anyone have any good ideas?

SWF: I don't think waking frequently at night is at all unusual. nor do i think there is necessarily a quick fix... babies have short sleep cycles and a propensity to wake when they come into light sleep. Your mission is to help them learn to resettle without your help... easier said than done... be reassured by the time they're 3 they have more adult sleep patterns and are less likely to wake...

have you read the no cry sleep solution by e pantley? are you breastfeeding?

SWF, I feel for you, my 19 month old has never slept through, am resigned to it. Not tried controlled crying and not going to. We often do co-sleeping which means I get more sleep, but is not ideal. My little one likewise gets hungry, she's a total milk fiend in general, try to fill her up in day and cut down night feeds, but not going well. Am resigned to it all now.

But if it makes you feel better I work 3 days a week (desk job) and find it surprisingly easy to function OK at work on hardly any sleep, whereas on days at home it is much, much harder. Also feel less tired being back at work than when was doing full-time childcare. I thought it'd make things worse going back to work, but hasn't worked out that way. So even if your DD doesn't sleep, you may start to feel a little better.

standswithfist Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> not read that book - is it any good? have you

> tried it? will check it on amazon. not

> breastfeeding she is on bottles.

It is good, very gentle and offers lots of ideas for you to decide on a plan of action that suits you...

I asked about bf as in my experience bf babies (like mine!) absolutely LOVE a little milky snack whenever the chance arises...