Incident at Goose Green Roundabout?

EDL

Your kind support and encouragement are much appreciated. I'm feeling in limbo somewhat - I can possibly get an update on what's happening/going to happen from the "Traffic Department" (Police) in a few days' time - apparently it will be up to six months from yesterday to decide whether this will need to go to court (!!!!!!!!!!!). Don't know how I can find out about the man's health. I KNOW it wasn't my fault, and this was corroborated by the witnesses who actually saw him fall, but it still feels awful that it was my car he fell into.

The police said it was because he had a head injury that they "ramp up" the degree of response (i.e., the helicopter, ambulances, doctors, police cars, closed roads, etc). On the grounds that they can downgrade the response, but it's more difficult to ramp it up.

Terrible business though (shakes head despairingly).

My thoughts are with you Tricia and also I would like to add that it is wonderful there were witnesses.

That's the best thing that happened: witnesses.

When it happens and there's no witnesses it is an altogether very different thing.

So as you see from above, we all care and we all know it could have been any of us.

Take care of You and let your family and friends do the same too. Sounds like you're usually the one dispensing the care!

My thoughts are with you Tricia and also I would like to add that it is wonderful there were witnesses.

That's the best thing that happened: witnesses.

When it happens and there's no witnesses it is an altogether very different thing.

So as you see from above, we all care and we all know it could have been any of us.

Take care of You and let your family and friends do the same too. Sounds like you're usually the one dispensing the care!

Tricia,

My deepest sympathy to you about this incident; many years ago a small boy run out in front of my car in Camberwell New Road and ended up being thrown through the air on impact. Luckily there were witnesses and I had slowed down as much as possible when I first saw him.

The outcome was that I was cleared of any blame by the police and the boy just suffered with some bruising, but I was very, very upset at he time.

Hopefully, the man involved is your case was not seriously injured; just carry on driving safely and don't be too tougth on yourself.

Gosh, poor you, sounds awful - there but for the grace of God etc. But try not to worry about a possible court case - I'm sure the docs/police would have clocked that the man was very drunk (and obviously they know you were sober), and common sense tells us it's very hard for someone to get run over by a rear wheel unless they've actually fallen into the side of the car, so it sounds highly unlikely you'd ever be charged for it. But how stressful and unpleasant - I suppose just be glad you weren't travelling at speed otherwise there might have been more than one person ending up in hospital.

I'm really touched and appreciative of your support - thank you so much everyone. Fortunately (!) I see a therapist twice a week so have had the opportunity today to have a preliminary download at her about last Friday's incident! I do have a really big issue with alcohol (other people's excess consumption of it - I'm virtually teetotal) and I've been aware all weekend that it's this issue that has been really getting to me, for all sorts of historical personal reasons. I've been very aware that I've been finding it hard to sympathise with the guy who fell into my car because of this - but I have had a couple of sympathetic (And horrific) flashes of the sight of him lying on the road/pavement, which in the long run I hope will develop into something productive.

I'm feeling quite hopeful that this horrible happening may actually be one that I can really work on in my therapy sessions to help me deal with the huge (historical)and fundamentalist anger that I have about people getting excessively drunk and whose drunken actions affect others, which in a way is a potential gift from a ghastly experience. It will help me get a more balanced perspective of what happened and make a positive contribution to my therapy progress, I think.

On Friday I felt like a complete victim of the scenario but it felt very directed AT me, which rationally I know it isn't, but emotionally it has obviously stirred up and intensified my very strong views about alcohol.

I have to admit, I was initially quite fearful and probably defensive about my perceptions of the reaction of EDForumites to my posts, but I can now say hand on heart that I really appreciate your support.

I've also now encountered online and in person other people who've had similar experiences and come through them, which is inspiring.

Thanks guys! :) :) :) Not through the woods yet, but I feel I have a clearer path to take for now at least.

Just make sure your insurance company knows of the incident. A friend of mine was involved in an incident where a cyclist was involved, man was taken to hospital but discharged unhurt.police informed her that in view of non injuries they would not be taking it further. Her car suffered no damages so did not inform insurance company. 2-3 years on, had a letter from a solicitor advising that they were taking her to court to claim damages as the cyclist claimed he has been suffering poor health since incident and could not work. Insurance company said they would defend her in court but that she would be liable for all their costs since incident was not reported at the time. case is likely to cost her in excess of ?40.000.

By any chance was was the guy involved in this accident white haired and about 50?

As last night was approached by a completely wasted and drunk man with stitches to his left temple/forehead, wearing a neck collar staggering around on north cross road, swigging out of a newly opened bottle of wine and carrying a further 4 cans of beer.

He was trying to get to crystal palace road and was having to use the railings to prop himself up.

If so the guy was completely intoxicated and no way should he have been sold alcohol, its sad if it is the same guy and that he still hasnt changed his way of living.

Hmmmm..... That sounds uncannily like him and I know that he lives in crystal palace road.I'm not at all surprised that he's still drinking,because I've never seen him even remotely sober. The injuries you describe would utterly fit what happened to him. yes he is white with extremely fair hair that looks white until you get close to him.

Eclectic you have put my mind at ease that he's ok. I'm quite amazed that he's so "mobile" given what I saw of him at the accident scene. Thank you very much for that. I couldn't find out how he was because I'm not a relative.

Message to all east Dulwich drivers..... Approach him with caution if he's on the pavement near you. Seriously, because he is often unsteady on his feet. In fact before the accident I cam honestly say I'd never seen him without a head injury of some sort. Very very sad situation but I'm relieved that he's out and about at least.

Trish x

Hi Jitka,

Yeah I know... and thanks for your support. I've just spoken to the "Serious Case Unit" of the Met Police and they're just about to initiate their enquiry. So please, anyone who was a witness,DO send in the questionnaire you'll receive so that I can get this thing over with a.s.a.p If all goes smoothly, it will take about 2-3 months (!!!!!!!!!!). If there's any doubt, the police have up to six months to refer it to the CPS.

Apparently my caseworker has dealt with the gentleman before (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and he doesn't bother to reply to their enquiries...

I think if one is a chronic alcoholic, yet another fall, whether life threatening or not, is not going to stop one drinking, sadly. Probably an extra reason to continue doing so, I imagine.

T

x

Sadly some people have a self distruct button built into their psyche, and it would not surprise me if there are more posts in the future regarding your drunken 'death wish' man.

One has to hope it is not us who are writing them.

Time is the best healer.

Thanks guys. I've got to the point where I am not brimming over with fury and am more able to feel pity for what seems to me to be a wasted life. I am however of the view that it would be better for him, the local community and the taxpayer if this man were to have a permanent cared who could physically hold on to him when he's out and about! Would be much less cost and protect him when he most needed it. Given that a policeman, a paramedic and serious case worker at met police have all encountered him previously, it makes me think that the system is failing him by not intervening so that he's not a repeated customer of theirs! Or is that controversial in terms of the State interfering with his right to be self determining? I'm not sure but I can tell you that it would be ghastly and tragic for this to happen to him and some other poor sod yet again.

fuzzyboots Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks guys. I've got to the point where I am not

> brimming over with fury and am more able to feel

> pity for what seems to me to be a wasted life. I

> am however of the view that it would be better for

> him, the local community and the taxpayer if this

> man were to have a permanent cared who could

> physically hold on to him when he's out and about!

> Would be much less cost and protect him when he

> most needed it. Given that a policeman, a

> paramedic and serious case worker at met police

> have all encountered him previously, it makes me

> think that the system is failing him by not

> intervening so that he's not a repeated customer

> of theirs! Or is that controversial in terms of

> the State interfering with his right to be self

> determining? I'm not sure but I can tell you that

> it would be ghastly and tragic for this to happen

> to him and some other poor sod yet again.

Not necessarily ghastly in terms of state interference, more likely just completely futile if he does not feel motivated to change himself.

A few weeks back I was waiting for a bus in Belfast City Centre in the early evening and there was a chap on one of the benches nearby, drunk and drinking, who was in the process of removing a canula and ECG pads from his body. He had just signed himself out of hospital against medical advice folowing an acute admission to A&E and there he was back on the booze again.

A few years ago I was on hols in Aya Napa on Cyprus. There was a youngish guy (maybe late 20's) in the same apartment complex as me who had been taken a couple of days before to the nearby poly-clinic for abdominal pains. Doctor told him that he had liver problems and gave him firm medical advice to stop drinking, yet there he was a day or two later sitting by the pool drinking rum and coke.!

Tragically, there is little purpose of trying to help someone who is not prepared to help himself.