Getting to Kings...in a hurry

phillyboy

Mrs phillyboy is due in a few weeks time and we are trying to work out the best way of getting to Kings. Does anyone have any experience of using local taxi firms to east dulwich?Driving our car isn't really an option as parking is, i suspect, an absolute nightmare.

Apparently a lot of babies are born at night- mine all were, so parking turned out to be ok- the earliest was 9pm, and the car park was almost empty. It's also cheaper at night, not sure from what time, but I'm sure it was some kind of one off fee for the night rather than per hour. But you'd have to check!

We used Addison Lee. Arrived really quickly, lovely driver who went slow over the speed bumps and dropped us off right at the steps of the Golden Jubilee wing. Highly recommended. Parking at King's is a nightmare and once you reach the labour ward you may find the last thing you want to be worrying about is when to go and move the car.

By the time I went to Kings, I was in such mooing-like-cow agony, that I would have been soooo embarrassed to have had to make that journey in a taxi. I was embarrassed enough to be having contractions from the carpark to the labour ward, let alone in someone else's car!!! My advice: if you're going to taxi it, do it before the going gets tough!

You can park on McNeil road just off camberwell grove. There's a little walkway just opposite which leads you directly to denmark hill train station. It'll only take 5 min to do the walk

We're planning on driving there first time with Dad-to-be then moving the car to McNeil Road AFTER i've been accepted by the hospital

There's a baby boom right now and the staff are turning people away if you're not properly 'in labour' (i think no earlier than 5cm dilated now)

The taxi fares and/or parking costs can really add up if you keep being turned away...

• 4 weeks later...