Consultation on Bellenden Road - Holly Grove - Lyndhurst Way Cycling and Walking Improvements

ed_pete

Dulwich61 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Let's wait and see. If the answer is "no" or

> there's no answer, that'll likely tell us all we

> need to know.

What an extraordinary sense of self importance - if she doesn't answer your hectoring post she must be in the wrong. Did you go to the meeting? Have you tried engaging with the council or individual councillors apart from having a pop at them on here?

Hi thanks for all your questions

1) Since becoming a Councillor I have worked with many constituents in Chadwick, Bellenden, Hollygrove, Maxted and Relf Road Lyndhurst on the issue of traffic and road safety

2) I will work with residents and officers on my notes to do a Q&A before publishing

3) The comments you have made on my CV are not accurate - especially the idea that I've never worked anywhere for more than two years!

I am trying to help and would hope we can continue without this rather confrontational tone.

Best wishes, Jasmine

Dulwich61 Wrote:

> rendelharris

>

> Your hysterical tone betrays your leanings and

> loyalties.

A) I think the road scheme is a waste of time and don't support it;

B) As stated above, I'd never heard of Ms.Ali before her post this evening and have no idea even what party she represents;

C) The sentence above betrays you as someone who would have been at home with the late senator McCarthy, "leanings and loyalties" forsooth!

Dulwich61 Wrote:

> rendelharris

>

> A) I agree

>

> B) Nor had I, and it's Labour but I make nothing

> of that

>

> C) Forsooth gives you away maybe ...

>

> Not sure there's anything between us.

Damnation, given away by a single word, you've got me. What you think you've got me on, I'm not sure.

Oh I think there's quite a significant difference between us. I hope so, anyway.

Jali1 Wrote:

> If you have any further issues

> that you would like me to flag with my fellow

> councillors, the cabinet member and the council

> officers, then please do email me on

> [email protected] and put Bellenden

> Road in the title.

>

> With thanks and best wishes, Jasmine Cllr Ali

Jasmine - can you please let us know the name and contact details of the Southwark Council Officer responsible for managing this project that was present at the meeting so that I can contact them directly ?

I for one am a local resident who would welcome safer cycling facilities/cycle lanes. I drive/cycle/walk through the area several times a week. From what I see people who choose to drive will not be stopped from doing so, yet we have the possibility of providing safer passage for more vulnerable road users.

This area is blighted by the one way system and its use as a rat run and cut through. It's in the interests of residents that Southwark keep examining options to make it better. At the moment it might work for drivers, but not for others. The one way around Lyndhurst Way, Holly Grove and Bellenden is particularly awful. And the array of junctions around Chadwick. The whole area needs a solution though.

Some of the attacks on the Councillor above are ludicrous and pompous. I no longer live in the area, but from what I hear from residents she is well respected and liked.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

I have a meeting on Monday with our Cabinet Member and officers on the Bellenden Road consultation.

I am working on a Q&A this week in preparation - Please send any outstanding questions to me at [email protected] and put Bellendenin the subject bar. If you haven't done so already.

I will update after the Monday meeting

Best wishes, Cllr Ali

Glad you're on here Cllr Ali -- it takes a certain bravery to engage with the bullies on East Dulwich Forum. I would like to see better cycling on Bellenden -- the one-way system is a menace to cyclists, especially as we try and encourage younger people onto bikes.

mikeb Wrote:

> DiD - I'm a cyclist and I disagree: the one-way

> system is easy - 11 years commuting through it and

> I've never felt threatened.

Same here any tinkering with this junction is a waste of money as far as I can see from a cycling perspective and just likely to aggravate the driving community even further.

Cycle journeys don't start and end with this one-way system. If Southwark wants more people to take to their bikes then I would suggest more training and more initiatives like the bike train. It's about building road awareness and confidence.

Has it ever been suggested that the section of Bellenden Road from the mini roundabout at Highshore Road to the junction with Holly Grove be made two way for cyclists, instead of no entry when coming from the north? That system (one way for cars, two way for cyclists) works brilliantly in Paris and would save cyclists having to mix it with cars round the Highshore/Lyndhurst/Holly Grove diversion, and would cost nothing more than a new "except cyclists" sign.

I run the Bike Train. I would never take new cyclists round Bellenden Gyratory. I use it once a week -- unavoidably and out of the rush hour -- and every time some unpleasant driver who wants to go that little bit faster cuts me up.

I understand that others aren't frightened and upset but I am. I'm an experienced female cyclist who has been cycling in London for years. Bellenden Gyratory is a place I would go a long way to avoid if it were possible.

ed_pete Wrote:

> mikeb Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > DiD - I'm a cyclist and I disagree: the one-way

> > system is easy - 11 years commuting through it

> and

> > I've never felt threatened.

>

> Same here any tinkering with this junction is a

> waste of money as far as I can see from a cycling

> perspective and just likely to aggravate the

> driving community even further.

> Cycle journeys don't start and end with this

> one-way system. If Southwark wants more people to

> take to their bikes then I would suggest more

> training and more initiatives like the bike train.

> It's about building road awareness and

> confidence.

The Bellenden gyratory is easy if you are a confident cyclist - if you are not it is not - you can see that from the people I see riding bikes on the pavement.

For myself I before the building works started was getting cut up on a regular basis going south turning into the Gyratory - cars accelerate after the speed ramps into making the left into the gyratory. They would then either overtake / undertake on my right or left after depending on my road position and then pull across me to make the next right turn meaning I sometimes had to brake really hard.

Just now the road is narrowed so that seem not to be happening - I just get folk behind me hooting - one bod last week yelled at me to get out of the ?f?.g way you c..t?

Out of rush hour this system is virtually empty. Unfortunately the closure of Camberwell Grove has funnelled large amounts of traffic through this system at the moment. If it was not there it would be chaos.

I also do not find it a threat.

RH idea should have been thought of a long while ago. uNfortunately Southwark has put in a pavement which has narrowed the road.

Perhaps the local Cllrs might have put this forward to residents however up till now no contact has been made in relation to Bellenden Road consultations.

As others have mentioned there has never been accidents on this system.

"Out of rush hour this system is virtually empty."

yes indeed it is. So traffic what traffic there is expects to go fast. commercial drivers use this route as a cut through between Peckham High Street and East Dulwich Lane. Cuts off a big congested corner.

these same drivers are counting on the time saving and want to go fast. If you get in their way, they shout, hoot, try and weave around and generally are unpleasant.

Experienced cyclists know that however threatening such behaviour is, it does not normally escalate to physical contact and can therefore be ignored. But beginning cyclists do not know this and are frightened and upset -- which is the purpose of this behaviour.

It's no good going "I've been cycling for years in London and I'm not frightened". Maybe not, but many people are -- and consequently don't use the Gyratory.

I'm a confident cyclist, so I use the system -- but I've also been yelled at in the same way, and honked at and sworn at, and cut off. Not sure some why some people seem to think that's an OK thing to endure -- because it doesn't bother them -- as long as there are no accidents? How many people are discouraged from cycling because of it?

I would like to see information to show that there haven't been any accidents, as I've had a fair few close calls over the years.