Great walks in countryside near East Dulwich

amac

This is a great idea. Would it be fun to devise some walks around East Dulwich, taking in One Tree Hill, Dulwich Park and Dulwich & Sydenham Woods. It's not quite countryside, but I'm sure we could work out a route that would take up an afternoon.

5 of us took to the hills today thanks to this OP and the blog

We did the Shoreham walk of about an hour and a half, then had lunch in the George Inn

Very lovely it was too and will be going again

Funnily we overheard another group passing us talking about the 176 bus, I kept quite but did smile to myself

Many thanks, great little site and fun to do

Used to take my lady friends to the George Inn in the evenings back in the mid 70's..

Wanted to buy a house there..

Bit of a drive but worth it.. Not at all touristy back then.. Nice coal fires..

Went there a few years back on a Sunday.. dozens of cars.. on church street.. Ruined..

DulwichFox

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Used to take my lady friends to the George Inn in

> the evenings back in the mid 70's..

> Wanted to buy a house there..

>

> Bit of a drive but worth it.. Not at all touristy

> back then.. Nice coal fires..

>

> Went there a few years back on a Sunday.. dozens

> of cars.. on church street.. Ruined..

>

> DulwichFox

Now don't get all dry and grouchy Fox

It's still very nice

That's the trouble with nice places.. Everyone wants to go there...

I drove there.. Very narrow lanes.. It was chocker block ... could not move.. go any where , park , turn round.

Used to go to another pub in Plaxtol The Golding Hop, Plaxtol. A cider and real ale pub...

They used to have a special cider that they would only serve in 1/3 of a pint.

http://img01.beerintheevening.com/72/72349d9313872b8e3c406d13ef44b5b8.jpg

Lovely place.. Difficult to find and the road is prone to sudden flooding..

Foxy

Also worth pointing out that if you do the Eynsford walk close by is the amazing Eagle Heights center which is great for all the family of all ages. I believe it now has one of the largest collections of birds of prey in the country.

see website for flying times http://www.eagleheights.co.uk/ there is also a large collection of raptors,reptiles and much more.

not2late Wrote:

> This is a great idea. Would it be fun to devise

> some walks around East Dulwich, taking in One Tree

> Hill, Dulwich Park and Dulwich & Sydenham Woods.

> It's not quite countryside, but I'm sure we could

> work out a route that would take up an afternoon.

I think the Green Chain signs on the street have the local park networks covered.

http://www.greenchain.com/site/index.php

Re not2late: you can also devise a walk comprising Beckenham Place Park woods and meadows, Cator Park, Kelsey Park and even the riverside walk from Cator Park to Greenwich. The latter, along the Pool and then the Ravensbourne rivers (which also runs through Beckenham Place Pk) is mostly off road and very interesting, particularly if you are in to birding (kingfishers, egrets, snipe and water rail believe it or not) and trees (one of London's 'great trees' is near Ladywell by the river Ravensbourne, a giant dutch elm, and there are some great, and quite rare, hornbeams near Catford's Wickes by the river).

We did the Shoreham to Eynsford walk yesterday. You can extend this walk by getting off at Otford and walking to Shoreham first. Total walk time was 2.5 hours, but we are fairly fast walkers

It wasn't particularly exciting as you are mostly in a valley, but, ITS BUGGYABLE!!!!! (though Otford to Shoreham is not when its been wet). Paths most of the way, good bird life, playground half way, Farm shop, Excellent food at the Plough pub (though a little pricy). The exception is towards the end when you reach Point 7. There are some good views at point 9 to 11 but from point 11 to 12, the path is fairly narrow and I would prefer to skip this bit with a pushchair. So from point 7, don't turn off and carry on ahead.

I am looking forward to visiting again as its the first time we have done the bit from Shoreham to Eynsford. Also, there is a direct train from Peckham Rye meaning you can stay in the pub til the last train leaves. ;)

leenorris78 Wrote:

Also, there is a direct train from

> Peckham Rye meaning you can stay in the pub til

> the last train leaves. ;)

And hope the last train doesn't get cancelled :))

How frequent are the trains? That's great there's a direct one.

• 2 months later...
Good to hear instructions were easy to follow. Yes, incredibly muddy at the moment. Will be well into April this year before that improves I think, with the rainfall intensity we're currently experiencing.