Seacow/MEATliquor (main section)

Louisa

The one on Peckham Rye may not have been called Blue Mountain but it was the same guy with a similar format who opened the BMC later on North Cross Road and in Forest Hill (both of which are long gone so not approaching the '10 establishment' threshold yet).

I lived in Nigel Road SE15 at the time and then moved to Crawthew Grove - just round the corner from the North Cross Road BMC - so I don't think my memory is failing me.

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Agree Sue ('93?)

>

> And in my book the first sign of the

> Gentrification that was to come.

Me too, tho I was glad of it in some way

Coz it was as dull as fook before

Mind you I do think Mel has ridden the times well for the best part, he's a nice guy still

???? Wrote:

> Er, the BMC on Northcross Road is still there!

Yes, sorry, I could have been clearer. The ones that were on Peckham Rye and in Forest Hill are now long gone.

???? Wrote:

> Agree Sue ('93?)

>

> And in my book the first sign of the

> Gentrification that was to come.

Yep. That and my window boxes (according to a then neighbour :)) :)) :)) )

alice Wrote:

> Yes I remember the Peckham bm was right by the bus stop.

That's the one. I would guess where Yilmaz Kebab is now - in which case it would be 277 Rye Lane (not Peckham Rye). Back when the bus stop was the Heaton Arms.

Anyway, I'm sorry to see the Sea Cow go too. I saw the van at the Isle of Wight festival three or so years ago. Looked like bloomin' hard work so good luck to them.

???? Wrote:

> His dreads were a bit less silver then Seabag :)

Indeed ????'s and like us he's a full head of hair still, which men of our vintage are grateful for

You haven't gone bald since I last saw you have you ?

Well, new year, new 1,000,000 page thread on the horizon. The HSBC site along the lane has come onto the market, and as you can read below, the article is clearly aimed at a chain of some description. Big plot of empty land behind the existing handsome Victorian bank too. Please God, no more Waitrose threads!

http://www.hindwoods.co.uk/property-search/commercial/?&searchLocation=East%20Dulwich&resultsPerPage=50&propertyDetail=3893-a1-retail-unit-east%20dulwich-london-se22-8hj

Louisa.

Jah Lush Wrote:

> I predict the bank will be turned into some

> ghastly All Bar One and will become the hangout of

> all the local estate agents sipping prosecco and

> craft beer in their shiny suits. You mark my

> words.

Should do well then .. around here.. :)

Foxy.

• 2 weeks later...

Jah Lush Wrote:

> I predict the bank will be turned into some

> ghastly All Bar One and will become the hangout of

> all the local estate agents sipping prosecco and

> craft beer in their shiny suits. You mark my

> words.

And after much thought, it will be named The Old Bank.

But personally I think LL needs a decent bar of some sort and I don't mind if it's a chain. We have good independent restaurants but the pubs are not really working for me on the lane and any new pub would hopefully be good.

Otta Wrote:

> Although ED does have some good pubs, I was only

> joking really.

LL is lacking I think and unchanged for a few years, especially when compared to Peckham and Nunhead with lots of new offerings.

ED is boring now. The excitement of the earlier years of blow-in culture brought with it some sort of optimism and a nice healthy mix of old and new. Now the yuppies have taken over, all we are left with is bland soulless gastro pubs aimed primarily at people under 40(ish).

Louisa.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Pubs do not smell like pubs any more.... Remember

> when you used to walk into a pub on Sunday

> Morning.. Opening time.

>

> Now they smell of Fish and Fried food and Red

> Bull

>

> Foxy

Indeed. Bring back smoking in pubs.

Bring back smoking and bring back the jukebox. I don't wanna go into a boozer sat next to a load of yuppies with toddlers running a mock, drinking, eating and more than likely bragging about one thing or another. A pub also needs a dart board and a pool table. Long live the Man of Kent and Pyro, the last remaining bastions of working class pub culture.

Louisa.