> bit beforehand. Seemed to be empty seats too which

> was confusing. Didn't bother me too much because

> it looked cramped and the music was too loud for

> me. We went and got a take away up the road

> instead. I will be heading to Beckenham next time

> I want a meal out.

>

> Louisa.

Probably better suited to the 18-30 set.. Not part of E.D. Gentrificaion.. more suited to Ibiza or Aya Napa.

For a while will be the new Franco Manca till something else comes along..

The younger E.D. folk are a fickle lot..

Foxy

LondonMix Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Franco Manca is still doing great. Every time I

> pass it its full. The younger demographic

> deserve to eat out too!

FM was not too full at 09.00pm last night.. no queues.. MEATliquor chocker block..

Certainly.. The younger demographic deserve to eat out too! Its Horses for Courses.

I just thought that ML might not best suit our Louisa..

I was wondering if you can pop into MEATliquor for a drink. (I thought about it last night as I passed)

or do you have to eat. The Bar area was also rammed with people sitting on stools.

Foxy

DulwichFox Wrote:

>

>

> Probably better suited to the 18-30 set.. Not part

> of E.D. Gentrificaion.. more suited to Ibiza or

> Aya Napa.

> For a while will be the new Franco Manca till

> something else comes along..

> The younger E.D. folk are a fickle lot..

>

What are you on about now?!

Not part of ED gentrification? I think it is you who are out of step, not Meat Liquor!

18-30? I am in my sixties and think it's great. And I've never been to Ibiza!

And what is fickle about liking to eat in different places? We don't all stick to the same place every time we go out!

DF: "The younger E.D. folk are a fickle lot.."

I don't know about that.

As a younger guy out and about every night, I don't remember signing contracts to only eat at or frequent favourite / specific bars and restaurants to prove my loyalty.

Surely, especially when you're younger, checking-out the latest place to open is an exciting part of being out and about ?

Perhaps 'fickle' is not the word you were looking for.

I have to agree with my friend Foxy. It is quite obvious that the owner of this beef patty chain continues to be diversive in the community by only making the 'younger' potential customer feel welcome and able to partake of a new eaterie. No problem with marketing to a specific demographic but not to the exclusion and detriment of others, or causing other potential users to feel unwanted, not welcome etc. This seems to the MO of the ownership. And he aint no spring calf himself so quite odd.

And Foxy is right again, all queues and fuss will soon die down as shown by other past 'grand openings', its the internet 5 minute wonder thing.

I dont think you will be welcome for a drink in there either, Fox, especially as you were not on the 'special vip grand opening night free tasters guest list' which was basically a re-hash of the 'special vip grand opening night free tasters guest list' for the Actress, and designed to bribe the edf glitterati to get them to rave about the place on here, create intetest and queues etc ad infinitum until it dies down as you predict. But the funny thing is the guestlist edfers are all 40s+!

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> > Probably better suited to the 18-30 set.. Not

> part

> > of E.D. Gentrificaion.. more suited to Ibiza or

> > Aya Napa.

> > For a while will be the new Franco Manca till

> > something else comes along..

> > The younger E.D. folk are a fickle lot..

> >

>

>

> What are you on about now?!

>

> Not part of ED gentrification? I think it is you

> who are out of step, not Meat Liquor!

>

> 18-30? I am in my sixties and think it's great.

> And I've never been to Ibiza!

>

> And what is fickle about liking to eat in

> different places? We don't all stick to the same

> place every time we go out!

Louisa Wrote:

> Couldn't get seated, staff didn't seem overly

> interested in us as we were waiting around for a

> bit beforehand. Seemed to be empty seats too which

> was confusing. Didn't bother me too much because

> it looked cramped and the music was too loud for

> me. We went and got a take away up the road

> instead. I will be heading to Beckenham next time

> I want a meal out.

>

Harvester still open down Beckenham Lou?

We were made very welcome.

Maybe some older people just feel uncomfortable not being around people their own age?

East Dulwich probably isn't the ideal place to live if so!

ETA: Oh, and we weren't at the opening night, either, so no bribery involved in my saying I like the place on here.

Grok Wrote:

> I have to agree with my friend Foxy. It is quite

> obvious that the owner of this beef patty chain

> continues to be diversive in the community by only

> making the 'younger' potential customer feel

> welcome and able to partake of a new eaterie. No

> problem with marketing to a specific demographic

> but not to the exclusion and detriment of others,

> or causing other potential users to feel unwanted,

> not welcome etc. This seems to the MO of the

> ownership. And he aint no spring calf himself so

> quite odd.

> And Foxy is right again, all queues and fuss will

> soon die down as shown by other past 'grand

> openings', its the internet 5 minute wonder

> thing.

> I dont think you will be welcome for a drink in

> there either, Fox, especially as you were not on

> the 'special vip grand opening night free tasters

> guest list' which was basically a re-hash of the

> 'special vip grand opening night free tasters

> guest list' for the Actress, and designed to bribe

> the edf glitterati to get them to rave about the

> place on here, create intetest and queues etc ad

> infinitum until it dies down as you predict. But

> the funny thing is the guestlist edfers are all

> 40s+!

>

Where to start with this?!

I'm 42 and love the Meat Liquor chain. The food, the music, the styling and the atmosphere. it fits me perfectly. God help me if were so curmudgeonly in my early 40s!

But, even if I didn't like it- the ownership has every right to pitch their business at any demographic they like at the exclusion of others.

The main Meat Liquor branch, just behind Oxford Street has been open for years now and there are still big queues to get in at traditional meal times. Likewise with meat Market at Covent Garden. It's a very very popular and successful brand/business model and there will always be queues because people really like what they do.

I suspect you might be trolling, but if not, you couldn't have missed the point by much further.

I am almost part of this younger set (33) and I agree. Everywhere has an initial surge when it opens (including M&S) but places continue to trade very strongly on a regular basis.

I don't think MeatLiquor is ageist though they do have a demographic.

I get the sense from people in the family room that they aren't trying to encourage this place to be rammed full of kids which is fine. Its easy to forget once you have kids how off-putting being surrounded by other people's kids can be. A place with a more adult environment and a young vibe definitely has its place!

KidKruger Wrote:

> DF: "The younger E.D. folk are a fickle lot.."

>

> I don't know about that.

> As a younger guy out and about every night, I

> don't remember signing contracts to only eat at or

> frequent favourite / specific bars and restaurants

> to prove my loyalty.

> Surely, especially when you're younger,

> checking-out the latest place to open is an

> exciting part of being out and about ?

> Perhaps 'fickle' is not the word you were looking

> for.

TheCat I was disappointed because the space seems to have shrunk in this reimagining of that retail unit.mit looks more like an adventure bar type place rather than an eatery.

???? is there a Harvester in Beckenham?

I didn't get to eat there and I'm sure many others have felt disappointed too by that, but never mind I had a lovely take away from the Chinese so I wasn't overly bothered. It did strike me that this place was aimed at specific 'types' (eg under 40, or one of those old timers who tries to act under 40). It looked a bit informal, and having not tried the food I cannot judge that aspect, but the ambience certainly appeared to be aimed at a younger crowd. I'm sure once the trendy crowd have had their pretentious mitts all over it for long enough, the fad will die down a bit aka Franco Manca, and as Foxy suggests, the ED 'set' will move on to the next 'go to' "let everyone stare at me because im in here whether I like the food or not" place that pops up on the lane.

I may get a take away from here in the future, I may not. They won't be missing my custom I'm sure. Yet another addition to LL aimed at new intake ED'ers, I presume.

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

> "let everyone stare at me because im in here whether I like the food or not"

I think people are just curious and want to see what new places are like. A bit like you (with both ML and M&S, I suppose). People aren't as shallow as you think...

Jeremy I'm not bad mouthing the place, yes some people will be curious to try a new place, as I was, but they managed to get in and I didn't, maybe they're happy with the offering they got. I didn't get that opportunity, so can only judge based on my experience. Some people though, do actively go to certain places to be seen, and unfortunately ED seems to have said people in abundance.

Louisa.

In your experience Louisa, do all people aged 40 and over have to behave in a certain way and be interested in certain things?

"eg under 40, or one of those old timers who tries to act under 40"

Surely people should just act how they feel. God forbid anyone should still feel and act young eh!

"Some people though, do actively go to certain places to be seen, and unfortunately ED seems to have said people in abundance."

Are those people anything like people who post provocative nonsense on their local internet forum, with a constant undertone of "look at me, look at me"?

You can of course act how you like titch juicy, that's everyone's prerogative. I do however think that people should use their own judgment as to how it looks to others when entering a certain environment/establishment. Personally, I would be imagining in my own mind what others may think of me, and vice versa. I can't personally imagine my grandfather coming back and dancing around a club on a Saturday night for example. Just as many younger types ad nauseam reminded me and my ilk on here some years ago, that Le Moulin was dated and aimed at a certain demographic, I feel the same about some of these newer restaurants and bars.

Louisa.

DaveR Wrote:

> "Some people though, do actively go to certain

> places to be seen, and unfortunately ED seems to

> have said people in abundance."

>

> Are those people anything like people who post

> provocative nonsense on their local internet

> forum, with a constant undertone of "look at me,

> look at me"?

Here we go again, let's have a pop at Louisa for saying something constructive.

Louisa.

No I was not at the opening night.. But I was on the guest list at The Actress and also The Victoria Inn where I

also got a FREE sunday lunch when they first opened. Was also invited to the opening of The Rye but could not make it.

I spoke to Scott and I think he thought M.L. was probably not for me. As I understand it they have no real ale

or other draught beers. I may well be wrong.

Georgia:- As for commenting on places I have not been to. Well I am happy to pop in for a drink and have not made any comments on the place to its detriment.

Sue:- Maybe some older people just feel uncomfortable not being around people their own age?

I get on well with young people. More so than people my own age..

So yet again a wrong assumption of me..

Foxy.

Jeremy, granted Peckham possibly fits more comfortably into the 'be seen' category than ED does these days, but that doesn't mean some people still don't enjoy the 'all eyes on me' mentality when on a night out. Why else would ML put seats in the window so people can be stared at whilst they eat? The Palmerston also has that vibe of stare at me whilst I'm sat outside drinking wine, as does Franklins, and any number of restaurants dotted along the lane. You don't even need a restaurant or bar for this, walk along the GG path any day this summer with the sun out and the 'in set' can be seen exposing body parts, drinking prosecco and eating sandwiches amongst the dog mess, just to be 'seen' doing it. Odd behaviour.

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

> You can of course act how you like titch juicy,

> that's everyone's prerogative. I do however think

> that people should use their own judgment as to

> how it looks to others when entering a certain

> environment/establishment. Personally, I would be

> imagining in my own mind what others may think of

> me, and vice versa. I can't personally imagine my

> grandfather coming back and dancing around a club

> on a Saturday night for example. Just as many

> younger types ad nauseam reminded me and my ilk on

> here some years ago, that Le Moulin was dated and

> aimed at a certain demographic, I feel the same

> about some of these newer restaurants and bars.

>

> Louisa.

Why on earth should they care what other people think of them. I'd be over the moon if my Grandfather came back and started dancing around a club on a Saturday night- what a joy!!

In fact- here you go

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/36311595/the-elderly-couple-who-went-clubbing-at-fabric-until-5am

Wonderful!!

Louisa Wrote:

> Jeremy, granted Peckham possibly fits more

> comfortably into the 'be seen' category than ED

> does these days, but that doesn't mean some people

> still don't enjoy the 'all eyes on me' mentality

> when on a night out. Why else would ML put seats

> in the window so people can be stared at whilst

> they eat? The Palmerston also has that vibe of

> stare at me whilst I'm sat outside drinking wine,

> as does Franklins, and any number of restaurants

> dotted along the lane. You don't even need a

> restaurant or bar for this, walk along the GG path

> any day this summer with the sun out and the 'in

> set' can be seen exposing body parts, drinking

> prosecco and eating sandwiches amongst the dog

> mess, just to be 'seen' doing it. Odd behaviour.

>

> Louisa.

So anywhere that has outside seating is for people that want to be stared at rather than people who want to sit outside in good weather?

DulwichFox Wrote:

> I spoke to Scott and I think he thought M.L. was

> probably not for me. As I understand it they have

> no real ale

> or other draught beers. I may well be wrong.

Well, you only usually find cask ale in pubs. But yes, I didn't notice any draught lager either.