amanda knox

Huggers

From what I have read about this case, the trial of Knox and Sollecito is justified by evidence: Knox's retracted police statements and Sollecito's DNA at the crime scene.

There's no doubt that a trial would have taken place in England and Wales on that sort of evidence under R v Galbraith ([1981] 1 WLR 1039.

Interesting Hal, just the kind of points I was interested in ...how different the Italian and British legal systems are and whether British law requires much more hard justification before charges can be made and prosecutions conducted. Hmmm....

I think Amanda Knox is probably a show-off and attention seeker who will now bitterly regret trying to enjoy the limelight of being the flatmate of a murder victim, which made her behaviour seem so bizzarre. I don't think she did it. I think she's been put in the frame by an untethered media who don't have the restrictions of the British press pre-trial.

Being an annoying smartarse doesnt make you a psychopath.

The italian and english systems of criminal justice are poles apart, but in this case, just on the bare facts, knox and sollecito were squarely in the frame i.e. victim dead in the house she shared with knox, sollecito also had access, no evidence/faked evidence of an intruder, some forensic evidence tying both of them to the scene, admission + lies.

btw those success figures for appeals are (I suspect) where leave has been given i.e. the Court of Appeal think there is some merit in it. That would generally have been after an appellant has had advice that an appeal is a runner. In those circumstances not so surprising that the % are high. Successful appeals represent a very small proportion of total convictions.

Knox and Sollecito had been going out together for less than a week and only one of them knew Guido- Guido's dna was all over the room- and they knew him only vaguely. Do you think three people who don't really know eachother would kill someone in a frenzied attack/orgy?

Do you think Knox was sophisticated/manipulative enough to destroy any evidence of herself being in that room but not sophisticated/manipulative enough to pretend to look sad or shocked after the event?.

The tiny bit of forensic evidence would have been inadmissable in an english court. The knife with the dna on it didnt even match the wounds on the victim.

I do think that Knox and Solecito lied to cover something up- drug use?-and by lying made themselves untrustworthy and unreliable witnesses.

Well...so what, it happened in Italy, under the judrsitriction of Italian law and the trial took place there under the scrutiny of the legal system there...what we've read in the papers and heard online hardly puts us in a position to give a verdict does it? Won't stop people though...

High-profile crimes make (or break) careers - a temptation for overzealous or corrupt police, experts, lawyers and judges. Juries are easily misled and manipulated - and fallible. The prosecution?s case is largely speculative. Much of the evidence is circumstantial.

It'll be interesting to see whether any of these convictions survive the appeal process.

She also seemed a strange girl - almost child-like

Cartwheels and snogging in the police station in the aftermath won't have gone down well. I saw her 'mask of a murderer' speech and was struck by how she appeared like a primary school kid in her first play. There was kind of a disconnect between her words and her actions, they didn't seem natural.

Juries will judge people on this, as it goes to the plausibility of her testimony. It's not exactly evidence.

Her misdirections to the police were fundamental to the case, but don't necessarily imply guilt: attention seekers and pathological liars will also do this - and also kids who are struggling with the concept of consequences.

But then if she struggles with the concept of consequences, that would also diminsh her need for 'motive' to perform terrible acts....

Was just about to post the same article.

Apparently there were no fingerprints of the two convicted more recently in the room the crime took place, and they can't have wiped them because there were plenty of the guy who was previously convicted, and wiping couldn't have been that selective.

The author of the article reckons it's a face-saving exercise by various of the people/organisations involved in the investigation and prosecution, and that these two may well get off after the next two appeal stages.