Cooking Steak

daizie

RosieH Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> for a rare / medium rare, would the juices not be

> bloody if you pierce it (and if you pierce it

> during the cooking process, do you not lose all

> the juices)?

A quick stab with the tip of the knife reveals what is happening inside the steak. For rare the juices should be clear with a pink tinge. No significant amount of juice is lost in the process.

> And more to the point, how on earth did you come

> across this method of cooking?

The method is based on sound physical principles - the technique was developed for a chain of five-star hotel restaurants in the Mediterranean to enable them to use frozen meat straight from the freezer yet still produce delicious steaks.

> Were you travelling in the arctic and came across a baby

> Mammoth steak frozen in the ice?

I saw that program too - fascinating stuff.

I find that gently but firmly massaging the room temperature steak in the build up to cooking, along with regular sprinkles of beer (me and the steak) produce a finished slab of beef that is second to none.

Always rest on a warm plate, covered loosely with foil, for up to 5 mins before serving.

Thank you for your suggestions. I had another go tonight. It was ok, not great. Heated pan till very hot. Small amount oil. Pepper on steak. I think maybe a griddle pan would give it a better, char-grilled taste . Will report back .

daizie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> That looks nice, i wonder if it was cooked in a

> griddle pan :)

Doesn't look like it, and no need really. Just a hot, heavy based frying pan and do all the stuff which has been suggested.

Although I don't think we've discussed which steak to get?

Sirloin for me.

Mine never looks like that unfortunately. It looks like its been char-grilled to get that colour on the outside. Im going to buy a griddle pan tomorrow and if that doesnt get the steak like the one in the picture , im going to get my barbecue out, sod it . I will cook under a fishing umbrella outside the back door . Sorted.

90 percent of cooking a steak is the amount of heat you drop it onto.

It must be a blue smoking pan,

A heavy pan is best,

and when the steak hits the pan, it should spit all over the hob, and sizzle noisily.

Having a wire gauze tennis racquet over the pan helps.

steaks at room temp - dab any moisture off steaks with kitchen paper while you get the pan hot - brush a little oil on steaks and a bit of pepper, fry in the dry pan for 2-3 mins depending on steak thickness and taste, rest for 2-3 mins while the M&S ultimate mash does its stuff in the microwave

open bottle of good argentinian merlot - consume while watching "In The Thick of it" or "Curb your enthusiasm"