Cooking Steak

daizie

• 1 year later...

Apologies in advance for those of you experiencing deja vu (so many 'how to cook steak' threads I didn't want to start a new one) but some advice please:

How can you cook steaks at home without needing to redecorate the kitchen the next day?

I use the really really hot pan method (don't use a fancy griddle or anything, should I?) and drop it in holding with both hands so it sears evenly$ but the smoke.....the smoke is horrendous. Do I just need a better extractor fan, bigger windows or new kitchen?

Was the problem due to cooking different cuts and sizes for various times? They were at room temperature and not marinated in anything and I used the tiniest amount of oil on the pan (not the steak). Thanks for any tips if you have them.

In short......no. There is no way to cook a good steak without smoke.

A griddle pan is a nice touch but not essential.

The chef at Hawksmoor (London's top steakhouse) says you don't need any oil at all and only to season at the last minute with a combination of pepper, salt and smoked salt.

But it will smoke. A good extractor will help. Lean meat will probably mean less smoke (but also less flavour). Opening windows will disperse the smoke quicker.

But you have to make sacrifices for good steak.

Or just go to Hawksmoor.

Small pan at warp speed heat. No oil either or IF you must, lightly oil the meat.

Stand off for a rest period with a lid on it.

Eat.

Who cares about smoke, anyway steak smoke makes you look/smell Rich.

I quite like a Knob of home-made garlic/herb/salt butter on-top

( actually i'd quite like a knob steak today )

Nette:)

Keith Floyd used to recommend, and I've never found a better way of doing it:

Best quality meat you can find.

Leave it out of the fridge at least an hour to come up to room temperature.

Griddle pan as hot as it can go.

Oil the meat, never the pan. No salt.

Do the edges of the meat first then place it on the griddle. Add rock or sea salt once it's sealed, try using celery salt too.

I'd also suggest double the resting time to cooking time:- if you cook for 5 mins, cover with tin foil, in a warm place and leave it to rest for 10 minutes. This makes a MASSIVE difference as the fibres have time to relax from the contracture caused by the fierce heat.

Jamie Oliver has a great recipe for Fillet of Beef in Barolo. Basically, place fillets in the pan, just cover with wine, couple of peppercorns, thyme. Bring to the boil then turn down and simmer. Serve with celeriac mash. Very nice and tender and totally different to frying the meat.

Can't agree with Merlot, it's too soft you need something with some structure and backbone like a good Claret or Rioja.

Katie asks a good question - and one that has vexed me for a while. Without a decent extractor or air flow a whole house will smell of steak for two days after. My advice is just to open all the doors, windows, put away any clothes and cover your smoke detectors to avoid the "dishtowel dance".

In short......no. There is no way to cook a good steak without smoke

Thanks to all for your very helpful advice, I think this pretty much sums it up. I reckon a damn good extractor is what's needed as I always cook with the windows open too (and didn't make much difference to the amount of smoke the other eve).

d-c, that link to advice from the Hawksmoor chef is brilliant, thank you so very much, some great tips there (one of which I think answers your question to randombloke, Moos. They use tongs to hold steak vertically to cook the fat at the sides and flavour the pan - edited to add, only if the steak is to be cooled medium or rare).

Moos Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Randombloke, how do you do the edges first?

>

> This thread makes me hungry!

Probably holding vertically with a pair of tongs. A useful trick if your steak/chop has a big layer of fat at the side.

An alternative to the incredibly hot pan method is a version of sous vide cooking.

Buy a middle cut fillet (or sirloin) enough for guests.

Sear the outside quickly.

Immediately double wrap in cling film - can then be kept cool / cold in fridge until ready to cook.

Bring to room temperature.

Place on shelf in an oven set at 65C (needs to be an accurate temperature) for 30 - 40 mins.

This will bring the whole steak to medium rare temperature - you could use a thermometer to check core temperature.

Remove, slice into portions, season and brown all sides in lots of unsalted butter.

No need for it to rest - works a treat with fillet - trickier with sirloin. You get a beautifully moist, rare steak that's full of flavour.

If you're really nerdy about cooking JOhn Lewis sell a home sous vide machine which will give the accurate temperature.

You only really need the pan to be super-hot for the initial browning/sealing, After 30 seconds (so the steak doesn't stick) you can flip it and do 30 secs on the other side then turn down the heat - this will minimise the smoke.

• 3 weeks later...

Experimented again on Saturday, used aged ribeye, dry, hot grill pan, little oil on meat only, 10 mins resting in a low oven after. Sensational.

But best achievement was some improvised chips without a Deep Fat fryer. Some new Maris pipers cut into 2cm cubes, par boil for 10 mins, drain and let the steam off then into a frying pan with about 200ml of hot sunflower oil. Fry til brown. Drain with slotted spoon and kitchen paper. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Serve with rib eye and some asparagus. Dijon on the side. Damn.