???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Excellent from England. Relax you irish boys,

> you'll get loads of coverage before your game

> TOMORROW. Ireland's hardly been awash with

> previews of the Wales V England game this week

> believe me.

Word

I thought the hype surrounding the game was better than the game itself. I'm expecting France v Scotland to be the best match of the week-end. Three home games for England now though followed by a possible GS game in Dublin. You will do your duty Mick and make sure THAT doesn't happen.

Bowe won't be. Heaslip maybe I think. It never looks great for Ireland before they play France simply because you just don't know which France will turn up. The Italians are always difficult to beat in Rome, especially in their first match. We made a few silly errors today but on another day we might not. Darcy in particular forgot to put his head on.

• 3 weeks later...

Mark my words, a beasting awaits the French at H.Q this Saturday. The disappointing thing for us, however, is that the French rather enjoy bending over and taking six of the best from England. They even have a term for it: la vice Anglais. Indeed, I rather suspect that Lievremont's willfully provocative words are just cheeky foreplay designed to make Johnno and the boys beast them harder.

It makes good viewing to watch England chase after a band of squealing Celts for 80 minutes and apply the stick to their resentful rump, who at least have the gall to look us in the eye, before their own begins to water. It's not quite so fun to roar out at Twickenham and find Jean-Claude already lying on the turf smoking a Gitane and waiting for his punishment to commence.

Still, I'm looking forward to the game.

27 Feb 2010 England 16 - 20 Ireland

28 Feb 2009 Ireland 14 - 13 England

15 Mar 2008 England 33 - 10 Ireland

24 Feb 2007 Ireland 43 - 13 England

18 Mar 2006 England 24 - 28 Ireland

27 Feb 2005 Ireland 19 - 13 England

06 Mar 2004 England 13 - 19 Ireland

30 Mar 2003 Ireland 6 - 42 England

These squealing Celts seem have done alright since 2003.

20 Mar 2010 France 12 - 10 England

15 Mar 2009 England 34 - 10 France

23 Feb 2008 France 13 - 24 England

13 Oct 2007 France 9 - 14 England

18 Aug 2007 France 22 - 9 England

11 Aug 2007 England 15 - 21 France

11 Mar 2007 England 26 - 18 France

12 Mar 2006 France 31 - 6 England

13 Feb 2005 England 17 - 18 France

27 Mar 2004 France 24 - 21 England

16 Nov 2003 England 24 - 7 France

Even the Frogs are ahead.

I'm not completely convinced by England. Too early to say how good they are after 2 six nations games and the autumn internationals were confusing. They certainly look on the right track, finally. They have three tough games left so if they win the GS they will have done it the hard way. Apart from the benefit of avoiding Paris they have had to travel to Cardiff, Edinburgh and Dublin. I'm not sure they will have the consistency to win all the remaining games, my guess is they will lose one and it depends who they lose to that will dictate whether they win the championship.

France are highly unpredictable and error prone, but full of quality and verve. I've no idea what the result will be on the day to be honest.

England have looked a little patchy but have so far won convincingly in 3rd gear without really needing to up their game.

Scotland are looking a bit more resilient than of late but I don't expect a challenge.

Ireland look spent. They showed some promising periods of play against France but ultimately they lost the game rather than France wone it, and they were frankly lucky to pip Italy.

I know it's in Dublin and I know we've had little joy against Ireland of late, but unless Ireland really turn it around/on I'm expecting a victory.

GS would be lovely, I'd be happy enough with 6 nations victory, but frankly I'd settle for bragging rights with the missus.

I dont think England will have any problem with Scotland at Twickenham so that makes it easier with 3 home fixtures and only 2 away. It dowm to France and Ireland then.....still expect England to lose one game.

"Ireland look spent ....." Not sure about that, they have been missing some key players and some others have been rusty but I'd expect them to start favourites in Dublin irrespective of what happens against France.

England not out of third gear implies they have another couple of gears, but we will have to see. It could be another false dawn. They are certainly better than they were.

I'm happy to see a decent England team, but a lot of it is expectation at the moment.