Breakfast/brunch recommendations

Blondie

Hi

Hoping to find somewhere within walking distance for brunch/breakfast tomorrow. Living in ED have wandered to Love Walk,Camberwell, Duck Egg, Northcross Road and Lido Cafe in Herne Hill recently, does anyone have any other good recommendations?

Many thanks

weirdly me and my friends only recently tried Canvas and Cream and universally declared it our new favourite brunch spot. I'm a stickler for a decent eggs benedict. Those who don't like it an don't go there - I wonder if it has changed recently? Or quite likely, we just have different tastes!

Why are several people slagging off Canvas and Cream but not actually saying why they don't like it? What exactly is it about it that they don't like?

We've had brunch there a couple of times and thought the food, service and general atmosphere was fine, though that was a while ago.

Ok, to be more specific. Having been there twice, the first time a while ago, I can't remember specifically to comment on the food (I don't wish to be innaccurate)but I do remember I wasn't very keen and the service wasn't great- items being forgotten, difficult to get attention, long wait and a surly attitude.

I decided to try it again. This time I thought the waiting staff were lovely, the food pretty grim. ?10 for halloumi breakfast and it wasn't good. Halloumi seemed deep fried and had a distinctly doughnuty taste! I opted to pay an extra 30p for sourgh dough toast (really? on top of the ?10 already)but when it arrived there was cheap and nasty white sliced. I asked for it to be changed for the sourgh dough, which was dealt with politely, but then took ages to arrive, by which time my meal was cold and I'd gone off it.

Don't want to give the place a slating but details were asked for!

Chandelier is a favourite but I was rather put off by the waitress dropping a knife and asking my friend if he would like it replaced as opposed to replacing it by default. It fell on the floor!

Blue Mountain is another recent favourite. Love the avocado on toast with a side of plantains.

I had a delicious brunch twice now at the Palmerston - i believe they are now doing a glass of prosecco on theweekends with brunch too!

The first time I had salmon on potato pancakes and it was to die for. The second time i had waffles, egg and bacon and it was SO yummy although not as healthy as my first option. They also do juices now for brunch too. Highly recommend X

Toasted and Pedler do the best breakfasts (IMO), especially if you fancy something a bit different and can spend a couple of quid extra.

Cafe Viva on Choumert Rd also good - tasty filled breakfast baps, v good pastries, pretty good coffee.

Andersons is also OK with some interesting options, but the pastries are not great.

Mr Bao could be an interesting curve-ball!

• 1 month later...

Archived