Sorting office to close

Ellis

On a related note, why don't the posties round here ever put the item reference number on the back of the "While you were out, we tried to deliver" cards like they're supposed to so you can arrange re-delivery online. That would make things a lot easier for most people who work during the day. Or maybe it's just my postie...has anyone ever been able to arrange re-delivery?

I have been in contact with Royal Mail and managed to speak to a real person... Without holding a Sceance..

They checked the Bullitines and Schedules for Silvester Road Sorting Office and have concluded that they cannot

see that any closure is planned. I visited the office today but they close at 1 o'clock. I will try again tomorrow..

DulwichFox

The current building is undeniably too small for modern use and is in poor condition. However It is ideally situated in the centre of East Dulwich.

RM have looked at other local buildings but the only one which would have been suitable is an empty warehouse next to the Dulwich Leisure centre and this site has been earmarked for housing.

Joining East Dulwich with Peckham is only an option. If it happens staff would have to spend part of their day getting between East Dulwich and Peckham.

Following Privatization RM wish to dispose of 400 Delivery offices in an "Asset Sweating" operation.

Source - Communication Workers Union.

I have made further local enquiries this morning and spoken to a couple of people..

They are a bit reluctant to commit themselves but reading between the lines Silvester Road in its itentirerity

is destined to close. It will almost definatley move to Peckham but I do not know myself where / when that will be.

It's a real shame.

DulwichFox

Thanks for bringing us this info, Foxy.

That's bad news.

First the bank, now this. Seems I shall be making rather more frequent trips to Peckham in the future.

Looking on the bright side - Khans, Persepolis, Lidl, Primark and Iceland :))

I think the problem is that the building is rather old and not modern enough to cope with the modern demands of parcel delivery, where as Peckham is.

However, I hope that the staff don't have to walk from Peckham to some parts of ED, in particular the eastern end of LL which can take 45 minutes to walk to.

Really depressing. I use that SO all the time. It was so convenient having it just round the corner. I can't help thinking that when Royal Mail start closing local facilities like this, that it's the beginning of terminal decline. With so many other providers who will deliver to your door at times when you're in, or offer to leave stuff with neighbours etc, who's going to continue to use RM to send packages?

DulwichBorn&Bred Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> But it's super busy all the times as evident by

> the queues.

> Can we not do a petition or something ?

If the building is no longer fit for purpose, it's not really relevant whether it's super busy at the collection point or not.

From the above it looks as if Royal Mail did try to find suitable premises in East Dulwich but weren't able to.

The move will certainly inconvenience a lot of people, but it's hard to see what else they could do.

• 4 weeks later...

I suggested a petition earlier but was told the building is too old to be saved.

I think we should do a petition/ write to our MP. Can James Barber get involved ?

dhistory Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Our postie has asked that I post these details

> here with the hope that some East Dulwich people

> engage and prevent it being destroyed.

>

> John K

>

> http://www.postalheritage.org.uk/collections/getre

> cord/GB813_Mem94