Sorting office to close

Ellis

I asked Royal Mail about this, and whether or not one should believe it, the response was unequivocal:

Dear Mr Seychelles

Thank you for your patience whilst we have carried out our investigations.

I was sorry to learn of the worry caused as you have been informed that the East Dulwich Delivery Office was due to close.

Upon receiving your email I have contacted the Delivery Sector Manager of the East Dulwich area so further inquiries could be made. I have been assured that any information you have learned which indicates the office is due to close is incorrect.

Once again I am sorry for any confusion caused and I hope the information provided helps in resolving your enquiry. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate in contacting us again, quoting your reference XXXXXXXXXX.

Regards

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Customer Service Advisor

• 10 months later...

According to the delivery man this morning, the closure is imminent and the building to be sold for flats. He had quite a passionate speech that I think he was giving to anyone who opened their door to him.

If anyone knows the mechanism for formally appealing this decision (if indeed there is one) speak up now.

I will be very happy to get involved trying to dispute this decision. I will literally not be able to pick up packages from Peckham. It's appalling.

On the comments regarding the queues. There are large queues, believe it or not, before working hours, in the evenings and Saturday mornings. Funnily enough the popular times- a bit like your train to work, going to the bank, or when you go to the pub. Etc. Go at 11am on a Wednesday it's dead. It's kind of a fact of life and it's not going to be less busy in Peckham. And you'll have to travel further. It will not be any better

Awful loss to the area. A redelivery is fine if you're around all day, but I feel for those who will struggle to find a time to be home. Peckham is a long walk from up here for many and the fact this building is being sold to become (I presume), flats to be sold on the open market makes it tough to swallow for me. Loss of a great convenient service.

Louisa.

Just to throw my bit in...

- from an earlier comment (sorry if already answered, didn't read all 3 pages) but you can organise a re-delivery without the item number - we've done it lots recently and it's really simple online (only had 1 number left in the last 8 times I'd guess). It helps we have someone at home at least once a week and I know many don't have that unforch.

- we're SE15 postcode so our parcels have always gone to Highshore Rd - though I'm about a 3 minute walk from the EDT pub so we're right on the ED border - it's not too bad to walk and if it's a big parcel you can get the P13, 37, 12, 197, 363 or 63 buses to quite a bit of ED?

- decent opening hours on a Saturday (just obviously quite busy, hopefully they'll increase staff?)

Worth noting

Seems if you collect from Highshore Road you must have the 'missed

you' note - but to collect from POs you can get away with two forms

of ID (although I saw someone get away with a photo of the 'missed

you' note last time).

It's not too bad really though.

Highshore road is a ~20 min walk from the EDT and from where I am further down LL it's going to be more like a 30 minute walk. The buses aren't really quicker (P13 goes all round the houses infrequently) or convenient.

Closing Silvester Rd office is going to change a 10 minute round trip into a 1hr+ round trip to collect anything that doesn't fit through the letterbox. Pretty ridiculous.

East Dulwich keeps getting worse and worse to live in. I reckon 1 year ago Council was picking up trash way more often. Now they suddenly stop picking trash often.

Leafs during Autumn were on the pavement and not been cared for over a month.

We have this amazing Train service to London Bridge, that runs whenever with delays and hmm rare to see it open on weekends especially Sunday.

We have amazing internet speed... with Virgin Media leading by oversubscribing. (Every weekend you can barely watch netflix during peak times)

They moved the police station...

Now they are moving the sorting office...

Great whats next?

Seriously been in ED for the past 6 years and the changes am seeing it feels like going from Zone 2 in london to Zone 5 or something.

Well it looks like it is going to happen soon that the Silvester Rd Sorting office will be closing in todays South London Press. They cannot say that it is not well used as there is always a que to pick up mail and parcels. How will the elderly and disabled manage not everyone can get to peckham that easy and if you are picking up large parcel how will that be possible. you think the ques at Silvester rd are long well so are the ques at peckham so how are they going to manage. How will our postpeople manage if they have to bring our post all the way from peckham.

Ellis Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Well it looks like it is going to happen soon that

> the Silvester Rd Sorting office will be closing in

> todays South London Press. They cannot say that it

> is not well used as there is always a que to pick

> up mail and parcels. How will the elderly and

> disabled manage not everyone can get to peckham

> that easy and if you are picking up large parcel

> how will that be possible. you think the ques at

> Silvester rd are long well so are the ques at

> peckham so how are they going to manage. How will

> our postpeople manage if they have to bring our

> post all the way from peckham.

It is a step backwards... and I only see on the news ... bbc etc etc that growth is up and everything is great etc.

How is everything great when there are budget cuts all over the place. Council is cutting down services and then closing postal offices, train services understaffed...

a_m Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> On a related note, why don't the posties round

> here ever put the item reference number on the

> back of the "While you were out, we tried to

> deliver" cards like they're supposed to so you can

> arrange re-delivery online. That would make things

> a lot easier for most people who work during the

> day. Or maybe it's just my postie...has anyone

> ever been able to arrange re-delivery?

The redelivery thing only applies to special/tracked deliveries from Royal Mail, I think. Normal post (assuming that's what you're talking about) doesn't have a reference number, and you have to go and collect it from the Delivery Office.

Will be Peckham or Camberwell? In Camberwell they're re-doing the post office so they may be using the extra space for a sorting office. if you live near Dulwich Hospital and they close Silvester Rd which incidentally is a walk away.. why would you want to pay bus fare to go to Peckham..what about the elderly or sick people around here.