Whisky connoisseurs, please could you advise me...

Mark

MrBen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It amazes me how many people will consider you to

> be an expert by the virtue of being Scottish. The

> truth is that lots of my countrymen know jack

> about it

I know. Mr Louisiana is Scottish and I introduced him to the island malts (Lagavulin, Ardbeg and the rest of the Islay malts, Talisker, Highland Park).

We're currently enjoying some of the limited production bottles coming out of certain Islay distilleries (accessed via membership schemes, pretty high in alcohol and amazing effect in the mouth).

- which is why Glenmorangie is the top

> seller (not a bad dram by any means but...).

>

> It's all personal taste but I'm with BN5 on the

> Highland Park - a fine dram. If you like them

> smoother then the Balvenie range and Dalwhinnie

> always go down well. Get into Islay for the peaty

> ones - Ardbeg or Laphroig is still hard to beat on

> a cold day from the hip flask.

>

> As it happens I'm organising a whisky tasting wit

> at Vinopolis , London Bridge in February. It's a

> chance to try a range of unusual bottles with

> expert Duncan, learn a bit, have a laugh and to

> eat cheese. Lots of it. Last time we had some

> amazing stuff - including a bottle of 1966 Glen

> Albyn (which I then bought). Apart from that

> specific year it's rather nice. And now in the

> Fellbrigg vaults for a special occasion..

Oo, let us know when this is for. Aimed at beginners? Or exploring the further regions of the malt?

Too late to recommend for Friday night - tho' I'd agree David Carnell's recommendation of Lagavulin, a favourite for many years and one I'll be dishing out at a Burns supper in two weeks time. Also recommend - Highland Park, Caol Isla, Talisker and many many others - some of which have been mentioned - I'd give a good few stars to Bruichladdich (pronounced Brew Laddy).

However, for future reference I can recommend buying any whisky connoisseurs membership of the Scottish Malt Whisky Society - while it started out as a purely Scottish based organisation it now covers whisky's produced elsewhere (including Japanese, Welsh and even English) plus bourbons, plus apple brandies. It's club rooms in Edinburg (Leith) are excellent and the more recently opened London club room, while small still has an amazing selection of over 250 different malts on offer.

It offers regular tastings, a good newsletter and the chance to buy some amazing, and sometimes obscure, single barrel cask strength whisky's. The only drawback to such a present is that your friend may end up spending a fortune on whisky and amass a collection of bottles and end up having too many on the shelves to the annoyance of wife / partner. I speak from experience!

As a fully paid up member myself I'd agree....The tasting rooms in London are decent enough - my home town Edinburgh is definitely the mothership though. I'd prefer the one in Clerkenwell to be an old oak panelled room with leather arm chairs rather than its modern feel but it does have a very convivial atmosphere and an intresting clientele (beardies with bobbly jumpers to young and old).

The best thing about the society is the amazing range of single casks they offer - you'll never get through their menu which describes their malts by taste/smell not distillery e.g. "sweaty mean wrestling on a pebble beach". If you start on the blends and move to single malts then the Society takes it the next level i.e. single caskings of single malts. And it can all start to get quite pretentious before you're reminded what whisky is really about - warmth, good friends and good conversation.

There seems to be some interest for my fun tasting at Vinopolis so I'll post a separate thread for all those who are keen....

I think its better if its my own bottle Rosie. That puts me in control of the supply. As when im finished the first one, i know im going an be offered another one! Nothing worse than having one whisky knowing your host has put the bottle back in the cabinet.

Mick Mac Wrote:

Nothing worse than having one

> whisky knowing your host has put the bottle back

> in the cabinet.

Delighted to say that I had a most generous host. But you're right - about time I topped up my own supply.

Michael Palaeologus Wrote:

> Just dont let Mr Ben let you try some of his

> "Dragons Breath" (no, really); the next day the

> skin had peeled from the soles of my feet and I

> had tunnel vision.

Tsk. And all this from a man who can laugh in the face of a Surma Madras with extra chilli. For breakfast. That was a rare 1972 single casking of Highland Park...but yes as it came from the distillery owner I'm not sure it conforms to any alcohol by volume standards. It's more flammable than petrol.

..the Bushmills distillery is definitely worth a visit, its in a beautiful part of the world near to Giant's Causeway. I also highly recommend a tour round the Glen Morangie one - and Talisker on Skye. Wish I liked whisky though...I think it tastes nicer in the country of origin. Brother loves Bruichladdich, colleague calls Macallan 'cooking' whisky....seems like its very much down to personal taste.

Interestingly I have a bottle of Famous Grouse - I have not thought it particularly good and was not going to buy it again.

I read the label yesterday and it says its a blend of malt and grain whiskies - as expected - but says that these malts include Macallen and Highland Park.

Armed with this information I seem to find it a much better whisky now. Show how much is in the head.