Whisky connoisseurs, please could you advise me...

Mark

It amazes me how many people will consider you to be an expert by the virtue of being Scottish. The truth is that lots of my countrymen know jack about it - which is why Glenmorangie is the top seller (not a bad dram by any means but...).

It's all personal taste but I'm with BN5 on the Highland Park - a fine dram. If you like them smoother then the Balvenie range and Dalwhinnie always go down well. Get into Islay for the peaty ones - Ardbeg or Laphroig is still hard to beat on a cold day from the hip flask.

As it happens I'm organising a whisky tasting wit at Vinopolis , London Bridge in February. It's a chance to try a range of unusual bottles with expert Duncan, learn a bit, have a laugh and to eat cheese. Lots of it. Last time we had some amazing stuff - including a bottle of 1966 Glen Albyn (which I then bought). Apart from that specific year it's rather nice. And now in the Fellbrigg vaults for a special occasion..

Thanks for the tips everyone, I ended up buying the Lagavulin from Boss Man. My mates 40th birthday present now consists of whisky, cigars, slippers, a packet of Werthers originals, an energy drink and a copy of 40+ (from the top shelf of Londis). Should keep him both comfy and busy for a while.

MrBen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> As it happens I'm organising a whisky tasting wit

> at Vinopolis , London Bridge in February. It's a

> chance to try a range of unusual bottles with

> expert Duncan, learn a bit, have a laugh and to

> eat cheese. Lots of it. Last time we had some

> amazing stuff - including a bottle of 1966 Glen

> Albyn (which I then bought).

I have a 1967 bottle of Strathisla which I got for my 40th and I still have a dribble left. The same mate bought me a 30 year old Glenfarclas for my 30th and I suspect he is secretly hoping I don't make it to 50 otherwise he'll be seriously out of pocket.

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ..it's a portent, 1966.....2010. Fellbrigg vaults

> in June 2010 methinks

In the highly unlikely event England get past the semi's then I'll come round yours and open it.

It's a free bet on my part...and I know where he lives

Anyway...since the bottle's been in existance England have actually made 2 world Cup semis (including '66) and a Euro one soooo in betting terms the values with me and thus possibly the whisky