Favourite Bob Dylan song and WHY ?

KidKruger

Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts.

There's a whole story here - it puts me in mind of old westerns, saloon bars, saloon girls, a mystery man - sipping whiskey and watching. If it were a film it would be Clint Eastwood "Man with no Name" or one of the darker versions of Gunfight at the OK Corral.

I didn't get into Dylan proper until I was 32 and then I went mad and bought everything. There are so many great songs that he has written and too many favourites to mention but today I'm going for Every Grain Of Sand because it seems the right kind of song to hear on Sunday morning.

Today I been spinning some vinyl and came across a 'bootleg' album, 1 of 3 called 'the great white wonder' there is a song I played a lot today which is variously called 'Who You Really Are' or 'Back Door Blues', version I got sounds like it's played on a 12 string guitar and the opening line and harmony knock me for six every time, sort of why I put it on this morn:

"I'd rather see my coffin comin' in through my back door,

I'd rather see my coffin comin' in through my back door,

Than the girl I'm lovin' sayin' she don't love me no more.."

Blind Willie McTell.

Brilliant. Was on one of the bootleg tapes but I think it's been released on a proppa album since then.

Also It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry, and Queen Jane Approximately, both from Highway 61 Revisited.

Sign Language, which he duetted with Clapton.

never heard of that one Keef, is it off the Bangladesh album / concert ?

Sorry for late reply. No, it was on a Clapton album called "No reason to cry". Someone gave me a load of old vinyl albums, when I was a teenager, and this was in the pile. Don't know what it is about this song, but I have loved it since I first heard it.

I'm not really a huge Dylan (or Clapton for that matter) fan, but I love Sign Language.

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you like 'as i went out one morning', try Doc

> Watson's "Georgie", which perhaps is another

> strain of the development ofthat song from the old

> time days of early America.

xxxxxxx

Crikey, you'll be coming to our gigs next :))

:)-D

• 6 years later...

Revived at KK's suggestion in honour of the Nobel...

So many hundreds to choose from but my Desert Island Discs choice would be Shelter from the Storm from Blood on the Tracks. Some of his best imagery ("In a little hilltop village/They gambled for my clothes/I bargained for salvation/She gave me a lethal dose..."), beautiful tune and reminds me of all the amazing women, from mother to wife with a few in between, who've offered me shelter when I needed it.

Another vote for Mozambique from me

Although a friend of mine who is big Dylan fan insists it's the worst song on Desire. I don't agree but have picked up on Hurricane as my 'current fave' as a result of listening to the whole album recently. My 8 yr old son really likes it too, so I had to stop playing it round the house due to the inappropriate language...

Blind Willie McTell

Just blew me away when I first heard it, on a bootleg.

Still gives me goosebumps.

ETA: Ha ha. Just looked at the beginning of this thread, and it seems to have been my fave Dylan song in 2010 as well :))