Trains just getting worse? What can we do?

James

Rahrah makes a valid point about the 37. It is very unreliable, especially from Brixton, where gaps of up to half an hour open up in peak time. I know this because I've stood waiting for them on many occasions.

No need to resort to ad hominem, either.

rabbitears Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> 4 buses an hour is overnight when Brixton tube

> isn't open anyway.

>

> You're notorious for saying that anything that

> isn't a tube is rubbish, and for demanding stuff

> that actually already exists (secure bike parking

> at Peckham Rye, a regular bus from east Dulwich to

> Brixton...). You've made it clear you won't be

> happy until there's a tube station close (but not

> too close!) to your front door, regardless of how

> many trains and buses and cycle routes there are -

> but if a tube is that critical to you, why did you

> come or stay in east Dulwich?

Having read the comments on here, I can't work out if things will go back to normal after the London Bridge works are complete, or if the issue is the new franchise owner. Can anyone say objectively?

The trains were absolutely fine before the works started, with one reliably arriving every ten minutes.

Hi There,

Our campaign has been working with Thameslink and Network Rail to improve the rail service on the Catford Loop.

Last week, we held a meeting with Thameslink and Network Rail to raise some of the issues that we have, and there is definitely some cross over between the issues that we have and those that impact on Peckham Rye, Nunhead and Denmark Hill.

Check out our article for more information about what we talked about in our meeting with them: http://www.acinderellaline.com/#!When-A-Cinderella-Line-met-Thameslink-Network-Rail-Directors/j5da8/56e6b19a0cf286cff61b69c2

If you have any questions please get in touch!

A Cinderella Line

Hi There,

Thameslink have already proposed to the DfT to run 4 trains an hour, however this wouldn't come into operation until May 2018 when there is a more major timetable change. There is a DfT proposal document being worked on, and the first draft of this will be made public in June this year so we should see then what is included.

Thanks,

A Cinderella Line

HopOne Wrote:

> Do Thameslink really have to have to apply to the

> DoT in order to run more trains? AFAICT, their

> agreement has minimum, not maximum, service

> obligations.

The East Dulwich / London Bridge morning peak service has deteriorated over the last few years - in terms of frequency and journey time. Passenger numbers have increased significantly over this period. You couldn't make it up.

Southern are a disgrace. What are their improvement plans - does anyone know please?

Jeremy Wrote:

> Chief - I believe the previous frequency will be

> restored when London Bridge work is complete.

That's correct as slots will be free at the terminating platforms as those services become part of Thameslink and move across to the through platforms, such as the Tattenham Corner services and the peak Caterham's.

• 8 months later...

Hi all,

Thameslink are offering 4 trains an hour on the Catford loop (via Nunhead, Peckham Rye and Denmark Hill) in their consultation document. Two of these will only go as far as Blackfriars. I know many residents travel further, particularly to stops between Blackfriars and Kentish Town. They are proposing a 10/20 minute gap in the timetable, the trains should run every 15 minutes. We are supporting the Cinderella Line Campaign which is run by local residents for a better service on this Line. (They came and spoke to Council Assembly last week and we support this campaign).

They have a petition which will be part of the Thameslink consultation.

If you every use this service, please sign up ASAP as the consultation closes on the 8th December.

ACinderellaLine.com/voice

Thanks

Renata

So depressing, particularly this bit:

as the government instead said it would make the Southeastern franchise a testbed for controversial reforms that will lead to private train companies taking joint control of the tracks.

Thanks but we don't need new ideas testing on us, we need proper investment and focus on the service and London commuters (not just those from the Home Counties). This is what TFL would likely have given us, or at least tried to. This blog from September re similar discussions in City Hall makes interesting reading though.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/davehillblog/2016/sep/14/is-chris-grayling-really-sold-on-london-suburban-rail-devolution

I don't know... not totally convinced that TFL and nationalisation is the cure. There are plenty of delays, faults and strikes on the tubes too.

Ideologically, I'd probably agree that public transport should be not-for-profit, but in practise I don't have a strong preference, as long as it works. Other countries (thinking Asia mainly) seem to have reliable, privately ran public transport. I remember British Rail... anyone who thinks things were better back then are deluded...

I see both sides of the argument: commuter trains and those who use them should not have to be in thrall of a mayor/assembly that they cannot vote for. Also, TfL is hardly a shining example of staff/boss best relations.

FWIW, a state-wide ownership (whether that be the state or a single firm) would be better. How great would it be to be able to use a UK-wide Oyster/contactless system for any rail or bus or tram (or ferry) journey. That is my dream!

Nigello Wrote:

> I see both sides of the argument: commuter trains

> and those who use them should not have to be in

> thrall of a mayor/assembly that they cannot vote

> for. Also, TfL is hardly a shining example of

> staff/boss best relations.

> FWIW, a state-wide ownership (whether that be the

> state or a single firm) would be better. How great

> would it be to be able to use a UK-wide

> Oyster/contactless system for any rail or bus or

> tram (or ferry) journey. That is my dream!

So many times I've been on the Thameslink train through

Peckham Rye and it stops to allow a commuter train

through - so making itself late.