Trains just getting worse? What can we do?

James

I really don't think the OKR bakerloo line will help ED much. Sitting on a bus for half an hour to get to Old Kent Rd? No thanks!

If/when the every-10-minute service to London Bridge is reinstated - along with the Charing Cross interchange - I'll be happy. Ideally with some increased reliability and less weekend closures. More carriages on the Thameslink trains would be my next priority after that.

I like the suggestion of removing some of the seats in the trains - making the carriages more like the overground ones. And we need more things to hold onto. You could always have a couple of fully seated carriages at the rear for passengers with longer journeys.

goosey-goosey Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> One comment on the non-viability of a direct ED/PR

> connection to the West End - I'm sure someone in

> the know once told me a branchline could be

> reopened somewhere between the Elephant &

> Castle/Blackfriars and Charing Cross at relatively

> low cost. Perhaps capacity problems at CX prevent

> this.

Interesting. Of course this would be the Thameslink line into Blackfriars and beyond so not applicable to trains from ED but for trains from PR or DH. Have had a quick whizz around the internet and this site http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/borough_road/ seems to indicate that a spur at Union Street took trains from the Elephant into Charing Cross. I think you're right though when you say existing capacity problems at CX would make the reopening of the branch line a non-starter.

People have mentioned the old Camberwell station. The following is from the 22 February written responses to Mayor's Questions (Appendix 8 at https://www.london.gov.uk/moderngov/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=0&MId=5678&Ver=4). It's also reported in http://www.southwarknews.co.uk/news/forget-the-tube-camberwell-could-benefit-from-re-opening-of-mainline-ghost-station/.

Camberwell transport infrastructure

Question No: 2016/0492

Valerie Shawcross

Further to the decision to extend the Bakerloo line through the Old Kent Road area, please give an update on how TfL plans to improve transport facilities in the Camberwell area, which is also in need of much improved transport facilities. Specifically, what plans are there to pursue the option of reopening a rail station on the site of the former Camberwell station?

Written response from the Mayor

While Camberwell was not the preferred destination for the Bakerloo Line Extension (BLE), the BLE route option assessment concluded that it did suffer from poor rail connectivity which could be improved by reopening the disused station on the Thameslink line.

TfL is investigating proposals to reopen the disused station with stakeholders, including the London Borough of Southwark. Initial feasibility indicates it would be possible to construct a modern station at this location if timetable changes could be made to accommodate an extra stop. TfL will be working with Network Rail and the London Boroughs of Southwark and Lambeth over the next few months to further develop the feasibility of this proposal.

There is a petition doing the rounds for commuters at catford / crofton park - campaigning to get rid of thameslink. Since it's built momentum my train (the 8.39 from Nunhead) has been near enough on time all week. This hasn't happened ALL YEAR. hoping they're related and people power is making a difference. Wishful thinking?

With enough signatures on the petition the prompt services you've noticed are quite likely to be the result of people power, I reckon. The managers responsible for those services will quite likely watch social media, track negative customer experiences, and do something about them. More power to the collective, virtual elbow!

I really don't think the OKR bakerloo line will help ED much. Sitting on a bus for half an hour to get to Old Kent Rd? No thanks!

Walk to your nearest bit of Brockley line (trains every 5 minutes to New Cross Gate) & change at the latter? Bit of a hike but beats sitting on the bus.

Hi Bic basher,

You used to be able to walk on the overhead walkway to catch Charing Cross trains. Not sure where going through gatelines and dank corridors came into it.

Hi nxjen,

The station is going to have 9 through tracks rather than previous 6. So reintroducing the South London Line - suspended due to building works at London Bridge or pushing through a terminating train onto Charing Cross may not be he difficulty you've suggested.

Hi spanglysteve,

The London Bridge works are about getting more long distance trains through London. They're not about improving inner London services. All this pain will have no gain. I did get thE southwark Plan to include Southwark would supportive station redevelopment at London Bridge if it resulted in improved services for Southwark residents. But that was quietly forgotten by the council when the planning application went to committee.

Hi Bic basher,

You used to be able to walk on the overhead walkway to catch Charing Cross trains. Not sure where going through gatelines and dank corridors came into it.

Hi nxjen,

The station is going to have 9 through tracks rather than previous 6. So reintroducing the South London Line - suspended due to building works at London Bridge or pushing through a terminating train onto Charing Cross may not be he difficulty you've suggested.

Hi spanglysteve,

The London Bridge works are about getting more long distance trains through London. They're not about improving inner London services. All this pain will have no gain. I did get thE southwark Plan to include Southwark would supportive station redevelopment at London Bridge if it resulted in improved services for Southwark residents. But that was quietly forgotten by the council when the planning application went to committee.

Hi all, we can try to do something!

Due to the ongoing problems with the lack of capacity and poor service on the Govia Thameslink line service that comes via Catford/Crofton Park and serves Nunhead/Peckham Rye/Denmark Hill and Elephant and Castle and through London I have decided to organise a public meeting for next Thursday 17th March 2016. This will be held at the Rye Baptist Church Hall at 59a Rye Lane Peckham London SE15 5EX next door to Clarks at 7pm (the hall is booked from 6.30pm). This venue is 2 minutes walk from Peckham Rye Station.

Govia Thameslink have confirmed attendance

TFL and Network Rail are invited.

Other items on the agenda include proposed closure of Ticket Offices at Denmark Hill and Peckham Rye. Ticket Machines. Potential new station to serve Camberwell. Interchanges. Poor disability access at Peckham Rye, Nunhead and Elephant and Castle. Access to Nunhead Station from Evelina Road. Station skipping (have you ended up miles from your destination due to this?).

I spoke last month at the well attended meeting organised by the Crofton Park Users Group at the Rivoli Ballroom. We need a joined up approach across the two Boroughs. Users of the service from Bellingham/Catford/Crofton Park are very welcome too as you suffer the same problems as users of this service from the Southwark Stations.

Govia Thameslink need to hear from customers about their experiences of this services. Please spread the word via word of mouth, twitter etc. Please come along.

Renata

James,

The overhead corridor/bridge was totally unsuitable for the amount of passengers who used it. There were times, especially during delays when it'd become overcrowded to crush proportions. There was an OSI (out of station interchange) between the Southern and Southeastern platforms which passengers could use instead of the walkway.

The new basement concourse under the Southern and Southeastern platforms will be a major improvement on the 1970's dank footbridge which now only remains on the Cannon St platforms.

Dear All

There is a Thameslink meeting next week on the 17th March at 7pm.

Details;

Rye Baptist Church Hall

59a Rye Lane, Peckham SE15 5EX

You will get an opportunity to express your frustrations with the service you are currently getting.

Thameslink have confirmed to say that they are attending and a prospective GLA member Florence Eshalomi.

The host for the event is Renata Hamvas, Councillor for Peckham Rye.

Please do not hesitate to contact me - Anne 07985 114291

It?s been over a year since I used the Thameslink service from Peckham Rye, but I saw today nothing has changed.

The 08:16 was dangerously overcrowded, with a pregnant passenger actually yelping. After a very, very slow run along the tracks, we were all kicked off at Blackfriars as they decided to cancel the service. I arrived at City Thameslink 40 mins after boarding.

Thank you so much for organising this meeting Renata. Lets talk to others who have been affected and hopefully we can get more people there.

rabbitears Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> rahrahrah Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> >a regular bus service connecting ED to Brixton

> tube

>

> You mean the 37?

2-4 buses an hour is not a frequent bus service. It's not particularly reliable / regular either. You can easily end up waiting half an hour.

4 buses an hour is overnight when Brixton tube isn't open anyway.

You're notorious for saying that anything that isn't a tube is rubbish, and for demanding stuff that actually already exists (secure bike parking at Peckham Rye, a regular bus from east Dulwich to Brixton...). You've made it clear you won't be happy until there's a tube station close (but not too close!) to your front door, regardless of how many trains and buses and cycle routes there are - but if a tube is that critical to you, why did you come or stay in east Dulwich?