Parents in playground

I dont want to sound like a preacher, but just needed to vent my frustration.

I understand why families want to use playgrounds (I have 3 of my own) but walking in peckham rye Park, when passing the playground, my kids and I counted only 1 adult wearing a mask, when walking past on 2 separate occasions.

We've all worked so hard to stop the spread of this virus and we have to maintain our civil responsibility to each other and the NHS to limit the spread wherever possible.

I would implore everyone to respect the basic rules that help limit the spread of this virus, When you are in close proximity in the playground atleast follow the rules and wear a mask!

Yes, social distancing in open air is the key. Mask wearing is not mandatory because it is negligible in the open air where people socially distance. However, it is worth having a face covering to hand where people are prone to ignore the social distancing, and always sanitise after touching shared play equipment.

The times I've been to the playground at Peckham Rye, Goose Green, or Dulwich park, I've always felt that I've had plenty of space between me and other adults.

I feel I get into closer proximity with people when I'm just walking along the road or queueing to get into a shop.

Do you and your kids count the number of people walking along the street not wearing masks too?

Agree strongly with social distancing outdoors.

You only have to see, on a frosty morning, just how far one's breath carries - particularly in the case of joggers and runners. It is also really apparent when one sees people vaping or smoking cigarettes.

Wearing masks outdoors has proven effective in other countries such as Korea, Japan and China.

bobbsy wrote:

> And parents standing around chatting,

> provided they socially distance, are

> doing nothing wrong unless it was a

> pre-arranged meeting.

Do you not think that's a gathering as specified in the current regulations https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/1374/regulation/2?

"2(6 )(e) a gathering takes place when two or more persons are present together in the same place in order?

(i) to engage in any form of social interaction with each other, or

(ii) to undertake any other activity with each other;"

Do you have any view on any risks of cross-infection in such a meeting?

bobbsy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Playgrounds need to be open, young children. And

> parents standing around chatting, provided they

> socially distance, are doing nothing wrong unless

> it was a pre-arranged meeting.

I disagree, you can play outside plenty of other ways (bikes, footballs, games, etc). Kids like playgrounds of course, but they do not NEED them. Swings and climbing frames, touched by countless children that day, seem distinctly unsafe to me. And parents ARE arranging to meet at playgrounds. Of course they are. So their kids can play together, while they stand round in groups and have a natter.

I am not trying villainize the parents (playgrounds are open after all)... but it just doesn't seem right to me.

Social isolation, both of parents/ carers and children is taking a terrible toll for many, and the long term damage may be significant.

For most people of child bearing age, and/ or children, the disease even when caught is mild, and may not even be noticeable. And its impact may be far less than the mental damage caused by isolation.

If the parents/ carers are keeping a 2 metre distance, in the open, that is likely to be fine, mask wearing or not. And it is, broadly, their risk, particularly as so many who are at high(er) risk are becoming protected by vaccines. By w/c March 8th all top 4 tiers (who chose to be vaccinated) will be 22 days or so into their cover, and hence will be covered (probably).

Six or seven young women in PR Park, hugger-mugger, very unlikely from the same households, squeezing together (inches apart) to get past others. I know the virus is less transmissabe in the open air but if they are flouting the rules about meeting up then what else are they choosing to ignore? Some people just can't help themselves...

Penguin68 Wrote:

> If the parents/ carers are keeping a 2 metre

> distance, in the open, that is likely to be fine,

> mask wearing or not.

But they are not...

If we can keep our child away from playground, finding other things (indoors and outdoors) to do, then I don't see why others can't. It is not easy, but it's the sensible thing to do. It's not just about our personal health/safety, it's about controlling the spread.

> For most people of child bearing age, and/ or

> children, the disease even when caught is mild,

> and may not even be noticeable.

It's mild in kids. But in young or middle-aged adults, it can be pretty bad. Of my work colleagues (pool of around 40), 3 have had Covid this year. Two of them (25 yr old and 40-ish yr old) were very ill for over two weeks. One of their girlfriends required hospital treatment. My wife also has a colleague in his 30s, who caught covid and had to call an ambulance because he could not breathe. I really think people are not taking the severity of this virus seriously enough.

I really think people are not taking the severity of this virus seriously enough.

I'm not sure you're entirely right there - (of course there are some who are deniers, but most I think do know that it can be awful) - but people are now prepared to take the risks they think are appropriate for them - of course some are getting this wrong. But for most young people (under 40) the disease will be mild if it's even noticeable - at worst like a relatively mild and short lived dose of flu. As you get older, or have other underlying conditions, your likelihood of severe, and indeed fatal, infection increases, and your level of caution with it.

As those in the most vulnerable groups become vaccine protected, the risks of getting it yourself without going on to infect others in much worse ways is diminishing - and thus more and more the risks you take are (almost) just for you.

What I do not understand is those in risk groups who are not taking up their vaccine offers - which seems mad - but again, they are adults taking a risk based decision.

Once bad decisions become those that impact only you - then I'm diffident about enforcing 'rules' where only the rule breaker suffers. We aren't, of course, quite there yet, but we will (in the grand scheme of things) soon be.

fishbiscuits Wrote:

> Penguin68 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > If the parents/ carers are keeping a 2 metre

> > distance, in the open, that is likely to be

> fine,

> > mask wearing or not.

>

> But they are not...

>

> If we can keep our child away from playground,

> finding other things (indoors and outdoors) to do,

> then I don't see why others can't. It is not easy,

> but it's the sensible thing to do. It's not just

> about our personal health/safety, it's about

> controlling the spread.

>

> > For most people of child bearing age, and/ or

> > children, the disease even when caught is mild,

> > and may not even be noticeable.

>

> It's mild in kids. But in young or middle-aged

> adults, it can be pretty bad. Of my work

> colleagues (pool of around 40), 3 have had Covid

> this year. Two of them (25 yr old and 40-ish yr

> old) were very ill for over two weeks. One of

> their girlfriends required hospital treatment. My

> wife also has a colleague in his 30s, who caught

> covid and had to call an ambulance because he

> could not breathe. I really think people are not

> taking the severity of this virus seriously

> enough.

I know of people who grumble of kids in playground but who they themselves took advantage of low flight prices to travel abroad. So go figure.

fishbiscuits Wrote:

> RoundTable Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I know of people who grumble of kids in

> playground

> > but who they themselves took advantage of low

> > flight prices to travel abroad. So go figure.

>

> Nobody likes a hypocrite, but that doesn't change

> my point.

The general point is everyone wants to think it's other people causing the spread. People without kids point the finger at those with kids using playgrounds or childcare. People with kids point the finger at those without, but who chose to go abroad. People who wear masks point at those without. Those who go without but whilst observing social distancing point the finger at those who wear masks and don't distance. It's exhausting. Apart from a handful of blatant violators (hello lockdown party-goers), the vast majority of people people really are doing their best.

I disagree people are doing their best. I think taht most of us are aware of lapses and just say "oh well, I am doing my best mostly" and let themselves off. It's that kind of self-deception that this virus loves, as do others. I see groups of friends meeting in teh park and hugging, white van men sitting three-abreast with no masks and windows shut, doctors and nurses walking around health centres with ill-fitting masks. It's practically everywhere and then we wonder why the lockdowns don't work....