Cat Poo

pinkladybird

I know quite a lot of cat owners do no bother to put litter trays out for their cats. Well please think that if you're not picking up your cat's crap, then someone else is - and may well be cursing you and your animal as they do so. It is just plain antisocial especially in a city. Cats spread toxoplasmosis, round worm and god knows what else.

I never chose to have a pet so why do I have to spend my evenings picking shit? Bags sometimes. Can't grow veg, kids can't play, Seedlings get dug up, birds get killed. I'm particularly annoyed right now as I've just got it all over my hands :(

My fantasies of what I want to do to the cats are scaring me...

Has anyone tried anything that works?

I quite agree- cats are the pet of choice for the lazy, irresponsible person imo. Apparently Lion Dung works but will wash away in the rain.

I must admit when all that horrible cat killing and maiming was going on I felt it was some retribution for the carnage they cause.

uncleglen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I quite agree- cats are the pet of choice for the

> lazy, irresponsible person imo. Apparently Lion

> Dung works but will wash away in the rain.

>

I must admit when all that horrible cat killing

> and maiming was going on I felt it was some

> retribution for the carnage they cause.

You really are a c * n t of the highest order

I know what you mean, pinkladybird; my own tiny garden is one big litter tray. In a past thread someone said the only way to stop them is to have a cat yourself, but that's not much help to you. I guess you've tried chucking water at them when you actually see them in the act? Maybe also worth trying as for foxes - early-morning (ideally male) pee in a bottle, add garlic, allow to ferment a few days, then spray around the garden. It also seems to help if you make sure all flower beds/pots have thickly covered surfaces to make it harder for them.

uncleglen Wrote:

> I must admit when all that horrible cat killing

Nasty remark, condoning animal cruelty.

uncleglen Wrote:

Charming.

I found 'GET OFF "Cat and Dog Repellent" Crystals - Green' worked quite well. They disappear if it rains, but markedly reduced cats visiting the garden. There is also a spray which I used to spray on the top of fences.

Have a look at Ebay/Amazon.

uncleglen Wrote:

Agree with sea bag and turtle, , you sound like such a sick individual, perhaps the police might be interested in your comment as they are taking the cat killings seriously .which you sound like you'll be pleased to here it IS going on, not was. I do hope the local foxes start crapping in your garden, just picture a child who found their cat slashed open, is that still a good feeling for you? People like you make me sick

Perspective folks. There are worse poos than cats'. There are worse comments than speculating that the sad case cat man is motivated by cat poo revenge. And what's the obsession on this forum with suggesting the police should be dragged in to trivia?

They don't tend to poo on the lawn if you keep it trimmed. For the pots and beds, the most effective deterrent I have found is sticking small sticks and twigs in the barer patches. Also seems to cut down on fox poo.

To all those people insulting Uncleglen,he clearly did not codone the cat killing - he called it 'horrible'. Turtle - he did not condone animal cruelty - obviously he dislikes animal suffering hence his concern for the animal suffering (carnage) caused by the cats. Deainie - 'just picture a child who found their cat slashed open, is that still a good feeling for you?' Picture me - so excited that robins built a nest facing my window so I could see in, only to find the baby birds' headless bodies scattered around the garden - killed by a neighbours pet.

Noone I know who owns a cat puts out a litter tray! When I ask them where their cats shit - they go all vague or make light-hearted trivial comments. These are nice people in every other way. Yet when it comes to their cats they choose not to think. They hide behind the fact that it is 'normal'. They hide behind anonymity.

So many people are sick to death of sacrificing their gardens and risking their health by being forced to provide a free cat shit collection service. Few people complain - hard to know where cats are coming from and involves confrontation. People just silently seeth. It is no wonder there are so many cat poisonings. The blame lies with lazy cat owners driving others to such measures.

Cat shit can contain the parasite toxoplasma gondii. I know of two people who have had damage to their sight because of this.

In addition, when someone in the city gets a cat they should also accept that they are responsible for introducing yet another predator to the few remaining wildlife species confined to narrow garden strips. It is not just that wildlife is killed, but even cats that don't kill still cause stress. Just the existence of a cat causes constant vigilance and alarm in birds for example.

Personally, if all the surrounding cats disappeared overnight I would open a bottle - for me and the wildlife.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I've tried a few, but think I will try the pee idea next. I thought of an electric fence but don't want to shock the squirrels. I also like the idea of a cat scarer water spray that has a motion detector but need an outdoor tap.

It's really annoying as I planned to make a veg patch and spent ages growing all my seedlings etc... but now it's so full of shit that I'm not sure it is even safe to eat any veg from there. The Toxoplasmo gondii parasite can survive in soil up to 18 months...

uncleglen Wrote:

Be careful what you say. You have put yourself forward for interegation. There is a police investigation called operation Takehe. are you one to watch? By the way I have passed your comments on to SNARL.

I have every sympathy with original poster. My garden is full of raised beds and gets treated like a giant litter tray by neighbours cats.

I also have my own cat. She has a litter tray in the house, and i keep a spot of garden unplanted and with loose soil so if she fancies a poo outside she can go there, which she does.

But even then I can't stop her pooing somewhere else if she decides to pop over a fence or two.

The only alternative is to keep her inside but that doesn't seem very fair.

singalto Wrote:

> Foxes also poo in gardens but, unlike cats, they

> don't bury it.

It is very rare that I see fox poo in my garden, I don't remember the last time. The foxes are so thin that I don't think that they produce much waste. Not like the huge overweight cats. Also fox poo does not contain toxo gondii parasites which is the main reason I'm concerned about cat poo. And they are not someonelses responsibility.

I prefer it when the cats don't bury it. At least I can see it and remove it immediately. When it's buried is the worst - especially on my veg patch. I don't see it, and then one day a nasty handful... It is contaminating my soil. It takes months and months to break down, and introduces parasites and roundworms.

Toffee Wrote:

> uncleglen Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I quite agree- cats are the pet of choice for

> the

> > lazy, irresponsible person imo. Apparently

> Lion

> > Dung works but will wash away in the rain.

> > I must admit when all that horrible cat killing

> > and maiming was going on I felt it was some

> > retribution for the carnage they cause.

>

> Be careful what you say. You have put yourself

> forward for interegation. There is a police

> investigation called operation Takehe. are you

> one to watch? By the way I have passed your

> comments on to SNARL.

Why are you making threats to people on a public forum ?

Pink lady bird- How can you compare a cat killing a bird to a human torturing a cat.

Sadly it is nature and unpleasant, however you cannot compare a human as this is not meant to be in our nature. I just think you all seem to really hate cats. I'm afraid I'd rather choose cats crapping in my garden than having you lot living next to me, nothing more to say really, you hate cats, simple, can't be arsed,you are not worth the time. People like you lot make me love animals more.

"I quite agree- cats are the pet of choice for the lazy, irresponsible person imo." That is a horrid thing to say. You cannot tar everyone with the same brush. I could say that all dog owners are the same, the amount of attacks on other dogs, wildlife, people, and their crap everywhere ... that is very unjust.

I have two cats, both spend a little time out in their OWN garden, one being an ex-stray likes a little wander around, but then will be desperate to get back indoors to use his own tray. Both ALWAYS use their trays, Cats like routine, security and a familiar private toilet place. I buy at 3 bags of litter each week. Both are microchipped, insured, inoculated. They are never on their own for more than a few hours. They have many security cameras watching where they are and what they do. (This was after the ex-stray one got kicked through his own back gate cat flap by a youth and nearly killed, another was taken and thrown from some flats, needing it's broken legs pinning back together)! In their garden, they have planks up and down for vantage points to sit at and enough going on not to want to leave. They get fed little and often, reducing the need to hunt and scavenge.

NEITHER DESERVED TO GET VICIOUSLY INJURED even if they did poop in someones garden.

Even the RSPB don't blame cats for as much damage as the general public do. There is loss of habitat, pesticides, new buildings with no nesting opportunities, loss of hedging and front gardens in favour of car parking ....

I can't say my cats have never hunted. In SIXTEEN years we have been brought ONE little pink bird that must have fell from a nest, 3 mice, and a frog. The frog was unharmed and returned. One of the mice evaded capture and release.

People who think "get a cat, they look after themselves" are idiots. SO BLAME THEM, NOT THE CATS. There are MANY lonely, bored, under-fed cats, going round other peoples houses looking for food and attention and a safe clean place for a poo because they are neglected. There are also those who get a kitten while "its cute" and then don't bother to get it neutered and EFF off and leave it when they move (as in my cats case). SO THERE ARE LAZY IRRESPONSIBLE ONES, BUT NOT EVERYONE'S LIKE IT.

I get grumpy picking up BABY poo, when I've had to pick up discarded nappies that have been dumped in the kerb from shoppers, or picked at by foxes, and person poo, when they hide between cars and go (as happened to me at the supermarket) !! Or even bird poo when it's eaten its way through the paint of my car. But I don't hate birds, I continue to feed and water them.

The sonic fox/cat scarers work well for those with a problem.

Doesn't come accross as a threat to me, seems like a suggestion, a fact, another fact,another fact, a question and a fact, where is the actual threat, ffs.

ocker spotter Wrote:

> Toffee Wrote:

> -----

> > uncleglen Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > I quite agree- cats are the pet of choice for

> > the

> > > lazy, irresponsible person imo. Apparently

> > Lion

> > > Dung works but will wash away in the rain.

> > > I must admit when all that horrible cat

> killing

> > > and maiming was going on I felt it was some

> > > retribution for the carnage they cause.

> >

> > Be careful what you say .You have put yourself

> > forward for interegation. There is a police

> > investigation called operation Takehe. are you

> > one to watch? By the way I have passed your

> > comments on to SNARL.

>

> Why are you making threats to people on a public

> forum ?

I'm not sure where to start, but as a cat owner I'll say this:

Most cat poo is recycled by bacteria, beetles and worms. It fertilises the garden. Probably if you do not have a pet your garden is underfed anyway :-). Yes it is unpleasant if unburied. If that is happening then probably best strategy is to provide one small area with fresh earth (replace the top two inches each week). Yes I know not your problem, but cats are not biddable. If you have vegetables then you need cover for them - but you would anyway in this area (foxes, butterflies, other insects, snails and slugs).

For the first time on this forum I feel that uncleglen is being a bit stigmatised for his / her post. Other people's loved ones (as Evelyn Waugh put it) are a source of real angst for people who do not 'get' pet ownership (it is how I feel about the dogs that terrify my cat). it was obvious from the post that he means no harm to cats: just that this was his annoyance.

By far the best solution is to buy your own un-castrated Tom. He will see them off and provide years of entertainment (and of course, increase the population of our wonderful felines).