Primark comes to East Dulwich

macroban

I've looked at the White Stuff web-site.

It's confusing. I found the blouses and slacks under "shirts" and "pants".

Their product range is for young people. If I went to the East Dulwich branch I'm sure their "Product Advisor" [sales assistant] would be kind and explain that they have nothing in stock that is suitable for me.

The actual stock looks very much like what's on sale at Primark in Peckham but at five times the price.

Think I would rather look like Timmy Mallett. If you are going to go for the White Stuff look you might as well try Blue Harbour at Debenhams. Same stuff only cheaper. Or indeed Primark in Peckham - similar stuff, much cheaper.

Having just looked at the Topman website I'll assume you are quite young, maybe mid-twenties. Or a young-minded thirty-something, hence the aversion to White Stuff and their ilk. I can't quite see myself in one of those wide-striped yellow and white T-shirts somehow! Being a stereotypical thirty-something male who tends to avoid clothes shops and shopping like the plague I can see White Stuff as being pretty useful for my bi-annual wardrobe update, I won't even have to leave East Dulwich, perfect.

I just want to know where the guy in cap_Bs picture shops....

hmmm.... Perhaps there is a reason why Mrs Brendan has started to buy my clothes.

I mean why can't I wear plus-4s to the pub and I don't see why you can't wear an iron maiden T-shirt with a kilt!

They may be selling similar clothes to Primark in Peckham at higher prices but as Primark clothes are made by 6 year olds in Bangladesh earning 5p a week, I'd rather pay a bit more not to contribute to this particular economy.

Well I think from this thread it is obvious that what LL needs is a place for the discerning ED gentleman to buy various tweed garments and hats. Also a well stocked tobacco counter with a good selection of snuff would be a welcome addition. I shall contact the White Stuff via the medium of electronic mail with these suggestions.

Sorry to be unclear - I was just referring to Primark with the child labour comment, not casting aspertions on white stuff or top shop. My poorly made point being that sometimes it is better (in my opinion) to pay higher prices for goods as these tend to reflect (up to a point) the wages of the person who actually makes the garment / item.

Thanks for the link ladygooner although I am still sceptical. Have they implemented this code and changed their suppliers since being exposed for using sweatshops along with Tesco and Asda at Christmas?

A friend who works in retail told me that retailers will often use supplier A for their clothes who then outsources to factory B, C and D, some of which may have dubious practices / wages but the retail chain is one step removed so able to claim innocence of the conditions under which the clothes are actually made. To my (tiny) mind, the lack of staff and pack as many clothes as possible into the space policy of Pimark still can't totally account for such low prices?