Is anyone not having children....

Guppy

Geeze what happened?

All of my friends have had children and have moved to the country.

My 2 last child free london based pals have chucked in the towel and are hot footing it to Norfolk and Australia...

Everyone I work with is lovely but under 25...

Am I the last late 30's person in East Dulwich, with no children, long working hours, and a fear of the WI?

I am of course being completely selfish as my main complaint is that it is ruining my social life.

Meeting up with my friends now involves child friendly pubs in distant home counties that take 3 hours to get back from in the rain.

What ever happened to late nights and smoke filled bars....

Ah, those were the days...

Hang in there?

I didn't read Guppy's post as being unhappy with her (assuming her, because of the WI reference) situation, just wondering if there was anyone else out there.

Unless I've misunderstood your posts you have immediately made one of the many common assumptions about people without children - that it can't be a choice and they must be unhappy. I have great sympathy for those who are childless not through choice, but I also know plenty of people who have chosen not to have children and are very happy with that choice.

Guppy - I'm Mid-thirties, no children, loooong working hours (in a career that I love) and an active dislike of the WI. You are not alone.

Edited for clarity!

Sorry if there was any confusion but Annaj is right, I'm very happily child free but have just found my group of London based friends available for a cheeky pinot has wandered off into the homecounties with a pushchair.

Most groups seem to be well represented on the forum (singles, homeworkers, mums, etc) I just wondered if there was anything for 30 something workaholics?

Guppy, don't worry, I'm in exactly the same situation, late 30s and happily child free. Like you, all our friends now live in the depths of the home counties and it plays havoc with your social life - which these days seems to involve driving out to the countryside to go to bbq's where we are the only ones without kiddies and everyone else is knackered by 10pm! Maybe we should start a new club?

Ha ha - that sounds frighteningly familiar.

We should definately start a club for people without pushchairs - shall we start the ball rolling and set a date? You never know there might be others who come out of the woodwork and declare themselves offspring free and up for an evenings entertainment.

i meant hang on in there for everyone like you to respond to your email!! I have lots of friends without children, some sadly because they were unable to have any, or they or their partners did not want them, others as a life choice. i see them less than i did, but i love it when i do as it means a chance not to talk about children all the time.

Guppy I am a 30 something workaholic, in the middle of a MSc and I have no children, married, but hardly see my Hubby because of the work and the MSc. and i have friends in a similar position. You should go along to the EDF drinks, i think there may be one this week!

...and on occasion, 30-something workaholics.

I'm not quite sure how I'd handle 3 hrs of sleep a night and do the hours I do with a mini-me in the spare room....

True also that there has been a mass exodus of late 20's early 30 something aussies in the past year - once the economy popped a lot of my antipodean mates saw sense and headed back to sunnier climes. Much to the dismay of my other half who has lost half her pals to babies and Australia. Sometimes both. It's a good place for that.

Oh the pressure....

I thoroughly recommend not having kids... I am perfectly happy without...

I have loads of really close relationships with kids of all ages and absolutely adore them... but

1. I don't feel the need to have my own

2. think it's a really good idea if we don't ALL have them (we already have massive overpopulation issues)

3. and... (this is a big one) I can hand them back when I have had enough and want my freedom back again

Some people have said it is selfish not to have kids but I am never clear what they mean by this???

I certainly don't see myself as selfish person... quite the reverse in fact! I made a conscious choice to try to leave as small a 'footprint' on the planet as possible...

http://www.corrupt.org/data/files/overpopulation_myths/world-population-chart.jpg

slow down everyone!!!

Some people have said it is selfish not to have kids but I am never clear what they mean by this???

I have never understood that one either. Its your choice.

I can hand them back when I have had enough and want my freedom back again

You can give them back, but in most cases you have to give them back. :)

and you point is... Declan?

are you paying me a lovely complement??? are you say the world would be a worse place without me???

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.secondlifeinsider.com/media/2006/12/saintlucia.jpg

but then again If I was not 'here' as you say... I would not be able to 'mind' not being here, because I would not exist to mind not being here... and so on...

now I am here, I am of course delighted...