Looking for recommendations for a breastfeeding cushion

espelli

I have been home with the baby for just over a week and my back can't take it anymore!

I am tall and my baby is prem and so very small. I have tried using a combination of pillows and cushions but they don't seem to work and I end up either holding him up above the pillow or hunched over. I've tried piling the cushions but it tends to wobble and he ends up slipping into the gap between the pillow and me. Can anyone recommend a firm, stable cushion that lifts the baby up quite high, or does such a thing even exist? Thank you in advance!

I have a widgey nursing pillow you can try. It's very firm. I found that if I sat forward a little when I used it, then my little girl didn't seem to fall in to the gap so much. Not sure how it would work with a nursing chair. I mostly sat on the sofa with another pillow for back support. PM me if interseted. Pillow is in excellent condition. xx

Thrupenny bits cushion is what you need - Here

Bugglet was only 2.1kg and kept falling down the gap between me & the cushion but the thrupenny has ties so no slippage & light as a feather to take out & about (would pop it on the bottom of the buggie in a big bag incase it rained!!

I noticed an immediate improvement in the quality/comfort of feeds - went from thinking I'd never be able to feed while out & about to feeding out & about nearly once a day :) plus, the lady behind them is Forest Hill based so I emailed her & was able to pop round to collect one within 2 days & saved on postage.

hi, i recommend you go to the bf clinic and try out a thrupenny bits cushion. they have them in 2 of the sizes.

and website here.

http://www.thrupennybits.co.uk/

they are crescent shaped pillows that tie around your waist so don't slip down and are filled with sort of bean bag stuff.

even if you need to stuff more under them the tie might help it all stay in place??

Another vote for the thrupennybits feeding cushions. I tried out a number of feeding cushions at the Peckham Rye BF cafe when Baby Knomester was 5 weeks just after his tongue tie snip. I needed to keep him in one place so he didn't slip (for my own sake...!) and it was the one that worked for me. I came home from the cafe and bought one straight away - express delivery! The lady who makes and sells them is lovely - call or email her for advice and she'll help.

I would suggest going to a breastfeeding cafe and trying out whatever they have and seeing which one suits you. I know Townley Road clinic had a breastfeeding cafe on a Monday morning at 10:30, and used to have a few different cushions, but my lo is a year old now, so maybe others can advise if its still on and/or other cafes that might let you try some out? I went for a my breast friend. Loved it. Hope you get one that works for you. Good luck.

Wow - so many responses! Thank you so much for your recommendations on here and by PM, they are so helpful. I will try and get along to the breastfeeding cafe on Thursday this week and try a few of your suggestions. In my sleep deprived mind I hadn't even considered that they would have examples of pillows at them!

Fuschia and Saffron - thank you so much for your kind offers, I have PM'd you.

We are getting there with the feeding - I think I am also starting to relax about it a tiny bit which helps! Thank you again for your ideas, this forum is great!