Congestion charge

Nero

no doubt there are people who absolutely need to drive today, but judging from what I've seen on the roads today, the people driving are just clueless tossers and/or very fortunate to be alive

Saw a car crash into the railing at Dulwich Park, and even then, in view of same, people were overtaking anyone driving carefully

My inner-vigilante rose up I must confess.

But compared to what I've seen, whether the congestion charge is in force or not seems moot. Discouraging car use is probably saving more lives today than usual

I had a Canadian boyfriend once who always used to put his foot down in the snow. I'm not saying that was a good thing (obviously) but he was used to driving on snow and ice and thought nothing of it. Last time I drove on snow I had a skid and couldn't stop. I was well freaked out I can tell you.

Sean, couldn't agree with you more - in particular the idiot who came shooting out of the lights at the bottom of Wood Vale into Forest Hill Road because he hit the brakes too hard trying to stop for the lights, and the lady trying to drive up a steep incline by revving on the accelerator. Both of them hit solid objects with a kind of balletic grace, but very lucky no-one was seriously hurt, especially given the number of children and other pedestrians around when it happened.

Completely agree with Sean and Siduhe.

To add to the fun, I also saw some pedestrians acting like fools - crossing in front of the slow-going cars in the blithe assumption that the cars would brake if necessary to avoid hitting them. On some of the roads braking would probably have been 3x the usual distance, even if they didn't skid.