What is East Dulwich reading today?

TillieTrotter

On a london theme:

If you enjoy the literary equivalent of having your fingernails pulled out then I'd recommend Iain Sinclair's London Orbital.

Will Self's How The Dead Live was terrific.

Neal Stephenson's Quicksilver is a lot of fun and set in 17th century london for great swathes.

Groundwater Diaries is an oddball psychogeography book. WG Sebald on carlsberg Special Brew.

I can bring any of these tonight if you drop in and you like the sound of any of them (really, don't bother with London Orbital)

I think there's one at the library. No idea whether it's any good though.

Last thing I read was Michael Moorcock, Behold The Man. It was OK... quite good actually. First of his that I've read. Classed as sci-fi because it involves time-travel, but really that's only a small part of it. Explores the reality/myth of Jesus and the crucifixion.

Cheers guys, keep them coming! My recommendation from my recent reads is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's Half of a Yellow Sun, very emotive, good second novel by her, the first being the Purple Hibiscus. Didnt think too much of the one being raved about at the mo called The Interpretation of Murder by Jed Rubenfeld. The author obviously studied Psychoanalysis and was flexing his muscle overmuch in this area although Freud's theories are always worth abit of a read!

Stephen Clarke's books about life in France are a laugh. If you've never read them and you like thrillers, then all the Hannabal Lecter books are good, especially Red Dragon! Also really enjoyed a book recently called Captain Alatriste, but can't remember the author. It's recently been translated from Spanish to English. At first I thought it would be a rubbish swash buckling adventure, but there's a lou more to it, and it was a good read... Would just like to say that most of my reading is done on the journey to and from work, so that's why mine are the type you can escape in for a while and forget reality ;-)

I recommend "Animal's People" by Indra Sinha, recently published and available cheap from Amazon. He is a mate and would kill me for not taking up such a blatant plugging opportunity, but it is nonetheless one to get your teeth into!

For a laugh, anything by Carl Hiassen

For superior crime novels anything by Val McDermid

I'd just like to unashamedly plug my mate Steve Overbury's book: Guns, Cash and Rock 'n' Roll - The Managers. Out this week, it's about managers in the music business. I subbed the first draft and was the first to read it and highly recommend it.

www.gunscashandrocknroll.co.uk

Agree with the trend on Banks' novels although I thought Garbdale was a big step in the right direction. Although I felt it suffered slightly by trying to hard to be back in "Crow Road" territory

As for latest reads "Never let me go" by Kazuo Ishiguro and "This book will " oh can't quite remember the title. Fiction, empty lives in LA, white cover with fruit on the cover I think

Very different books but both terrific reads