Forum Sponsors

www.dulwichcarpetcompany.co.uk

https://urbanistarchitecture.co.uk/free-architect-consultation/

https://www.gokayfitness.com/class

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
messageRe: The new demographic
Posted by fishbiscuits November 04, 04:10PM

The story about the potty in the shop has been told a few times before (and I actually think the perpetrator might be a friend of a friend sort of thing).

But let's not start pretending that this sort of behavior is the norm when it obviously isn't - I've never personally witnessed a child peeing in the middle of a shop, or having a nappy changed on a restaurant table, etc. Most parents are admittedly pretty clueless, especially with their first kid, but they're usually trying their best and I don't see the point in dwelling on the worst examples of ineptitude and guilelessness in order to push some sort of anti child/parent agenda.

Posted by peckham_ryu November 04, 05:29PM

There have always been some people who need a bit of correction on dealing with their toddlersí toilet. Over here in Peckham, Iíve seen a lady take her little boy into the phone booth near KFC for a wee. You wonder whatís wrong with KFCís loos, and just whatís going through her mind generally.

Decades ago I was at a school where there were sections of felled tree left round the playing field as general obstacles / something to sit on. Weirdly, it wasnít at all unknown to look out and see a parent holding their infant over one of them for a pee. It must have just not occurred to them that these were objects other kids would play on, or that it was generally disgusting. The same parents always looked surprised when the headmistress came out to greet them - always with a bucket and bleach and gloves, and by the look of it a stern demand to get scrubbing!

Posted by Sue November 04, 07:22PM

People, eh! big grin

Posted by Seabag November 10, 07:49AM

I saw a fully grown adult having a number 2 between two phone boxes in Soho on Friday night. Trousers to his knees, balls swinging in the cold evening air.

Iím not sure what substance was lowering his inhibitions, but his two friends casually looked on from where they were laying on the pavement opposite.

SoHoís gone down hill if you ask me.

Posted by seenbeen November 10, 03:06PM

In the 1970s we had some friends who invited us over for dinner. They had a small child in nappies who was allowed to crawl on the dining table during the meal. When the contents of its nappy started falling onto the table I lost my appetite.
And- I have a relative who loves cats and had several in various states of decay some years ago. She invited us to dinner and one of the cats was sitting on the tablecloth. I asked her if it should be sitting there and she said 'I suppose not' then she moved it and proceeded to tell us about its abcesses! I was delighted when she moved into a tiny flat and couldn't entertain at home any more.
It isn't really the new demographic- they have been around for some time

Posted by JohnL November 10, 06:39PM

Seabag Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I saw a fully grown adult having a number 2
> between two phone boxes in Soho on Friday night.
> Trousers to his knees, balls swinging in the cold
> evening air.
>
> Iím not sure what substance was lowering his
> inhibitions, but his two friends casually looked
> on from where they were laying on the pavement
> opposite.
>
> SoHoís gone down hill if you ask me.

Spice? Hideous drug.

Posted by se22cat November 10, 10:03PM

Might have been food poisoning or an involuntary bowel movement. In the case of either, the bloke might simply not have had time to get to a toilet : (

Posted by JohnL November 11, 10:12AM

se22cat Wrote:
> Might have been food poisoning or an involuntary
> bowel movement. In the case of either, the bloke
> might simply not have had time to get to a toilet
> : (

It was "but his two friends casually looked on from where they were laying on the pavement
opposite." that made me wonder about Spice - that's the effect apparently.

I know people can be caught out ill - there actually isn't much of a procedure for dealing with such in public other than run.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit was november 11, 10:14am by JohnL.

Posted by Seabag November 11, 03:55PM

se22cat Wrote:
> Might have been food poisoning or an involuntary
> bowel movement. In the case of either, the bloke
> might simply not have had time to get to a toilet
> : (

No, they were street drinkers and most likely drug users, given the area they were plotted up in. The guy was dressed in dirty clothes and struggled to stand properly, there was a bunch of beer cans nearby. I think he was so hammered he the just dealt with the basics, wherever that was possible.

Pretty unpleasant, and sad to see people getting to this point.

Posted by fishbiscuits November 11, 05:04PM

Rough sleeping in London is at a record high, and the west end seems like a "hotspot". Some mornings you can see rows of tents, especially behind the strand near the police station. Very sad to see. TBH if I was sleeping on the street, I imagine I'd also find myself drawn to the the short term escapism of cheap drugs and booze...

Posted by rahrahrah November 12, 02:40PM

fishbiscuits Wrote:
> The story about the potty in the shop has been
> told a few times before (and I actually think the
> perpetrator might be a friend of a friend sort of
> thing).
>
> But let's not start pretending that this sort of
> behavior is the norm when it obviously isn't -
> I've never personally witnessed a child peeing in
> the middle of a shop, or having a nappy changed on
> a restaurant table, etc. Most parents are
> admittedly pretty clueless, especially with their
> first kid, but they're usually trying their best
> and I don't see the point in dwelling on the worst
> examples of ineptitude and guilelessness in order
> to push some sort of anti child/parent agenda.

^this

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum