urgent alert to all credit/visa card holder

LizzygotDizzy

Please note this is NOT a joke

This information is worth reading and extremely serious, By understanding how the VISA &

MasterCard Telephone Credit Card Scam works, you'll be better prepared to

protect yourself. Note, the callers do not ask for your card number; they already have it.

One of my colleagues was called on Wednesday from 'VISA', and I was called

on Thursday from 'Master Card'. The scam works like this: Caller:

'This is (name), and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at

VISA. My Badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual

purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. This would be on your VISA card

which was issued by (name of bank). Did you purchase an Anti- Telemarketing

Device for ?497.99 from a Marketing company based in Arizona?'

When you say 'No', the caller continues with, 'Then we will be issuing a

credit to your account. This is a company we have been watching and the

charges range from ?297 to ?497, just under the ?500 purchase pattern that

flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to

(gives you your address), is that correct?'

You say 'yes'. The caller continues - 'I will be starting a Fraud

investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 1- 800 number

listed on the back of your card (1-

800-VISA) and ask for Security.'

You will need to refer to this Control Number. The caller then gives you a 6

digit number. 'Do you need me to read it again?'

Here's the IMPORTANT part on how the scam works. The caller then says, 'I

need to verify you are in possession of your card'. He'll ask you to 'turn

your card over and look for some numbers'. There are 7 numbers; the first 4

are part of your card number, the next 3 are the security Numbers that

verify you are the possessor of the card. These are the numbers you

sometimes use to make Internet purchases to prove you have the card. The

caller will ask you to read the 3 numbers to him. After you tell the caller

the 3 numbers, he'll say, 'That is correct, I just needed to verify that the

card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card. Do you

have any other questions?' After you say No, the caller then thanks you and

states, 'Don't hesitate to call back if you do, and hangs up.

You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the Card

number. But someone in our office decided to call back when they received

a call on Wednesday, they called back within 20

minutes to ask a question. Is he glad he did! The REAL VISA Security

Department told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new purchase

of ?497.99 was charged to the card.

Long story - short - he made a real fraud report and closed the VISA

account. What the scammers want is the

3-digit PIN number on the back of the card. Don't give it to them. Instead,

tell them you'll call VISA or Master card directly for verification of their

conversation. The real VISA told him that they will never ask for anything on

the card as they already know the information since they issued the card! If

you give the scammers your 3 Digit PIN Number, you think you're receiving a

credit. However, by the time you get your statement you'll see charges for

purchases you didn't make, and by then it's almost too late and/or more

difficult to actually file a fraud report.

What makes this more remarkable is that on Thursday, he got a call from a

'Jason Richardson of Master Card' with a word-for-word repeat of the VISA

scam. This time he didn't let him finish. he hung up! He filed a police

report, as instructed by VISA. The police said they are taking several of

these reports daily! They also urged him to tell everybody he knows that this

scam is happening.

Please pass this on to all your family and friends. By informing each other,

we can protect each other

I've been called a few times by my bank (First Direct) to check on VISA purchases I've made. They're pretty on the ball and they even caught one card scam in the act, which was impressive.

But it pisses me off that - when they call you - they just start by asking for your passwords to confirm who you are, before you've even confirmed who they are.

If you say you're not happy to speak to them about anything unless you've called them back on their main telephone banking number, they spring into action and give you a decent security procedure - but you have to ask for it - which is stupid as it wouldn't occur to everyone.

This scam is only doing what the banks do themselves - no wonder it's getting results.

No I cut and pasted it from an e-mail sent to us by our Senior Partner, so doubt it is a hoax, I assumed it happened to her though sounded very personal, and I had to take some things like proper identities out to protect people before I posted it on the forum, will ask if it actually happened to her, the likelihood of getting a copy of the same thing isn't rare though as we do have over 500 people working here and were all asked to forward it on to friends and colleagues, but just to put my curiosity at rest will ask anyways.

"cut and pasted it from an e-mail sent to us by our Senior Partner"... Sorry, but that just makes it sound even more like a hoax, to me. It's the most senior members of staff in my place who fall for this sort of thing every time.

Agree with the poster who gets annoyed with banks ringing us and asking us to prove who we are. You rang me, FFS!

If you forward this thread to at least ten people...God will love you! Now, that is stupid.

Joking apart, I for one would like to thank LizzyGotDizzy for flagging this up, even if it is a hoax. I mean let's face it, the reason the three digit security number was placed on the back was so that one side only copies of the card couldn't be used fraudulently. Therefore, even if it is a hoax it seems to be one that could perhaps COULD ACTUALLY HAPPEN!

Good point as well about banks calling you up and asking you to confirm your details without you having any idea who they are! This is so ridiculous. I have terminated several calls from people who claimed to be calling from my bank as I couldn't know for sure.

It's a good one to use with debt collectors as well >:D<

LizzygotDizzy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> No I cut and pasted it from an e-mail sent to us

> by our Senior Partner, so doubt it is a hoax, I

> assumed it happened to her though sounded very

> personal, and I had to take some things like

> proper identities out to protect people before I

> posted it on the forum, will ask if it actually

> happened to her, the likelihood of getting a copy

> of the same thing isn't rare though as we do have

> over 500 people working here and were all asked to

> forward it on to friends and colleagues, but just

> to put my curiosity at rest will ask anyways.

Look at the link I posted, this has been doing the rounds for a long time, identical story (though in $$ not ??)

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/hoaxes/hoaxDetails.asp?HName=Visa+%26+MasterCard+Fraud+Hoax&Page=4

"Type: Urban Legend

Description:

An email message warning of a modus operandi used by malicious individuals to acquire Visa and MasterCard numbers is spreading in the Internet.

It tells of how a swindler identifying himself as a credit card security officer phones target persons notifying them that their cards have been flagged due to unusual purchase patterns. The caller then elaborates on the situation and requests to get the three-digit PIN number of the card.

The message ends with a cautionary note informing recipients of this email chain letter how credit cards of owners who fell for this fraud were used for purchase by the phone caller. However, Visa and MasterCard have not verified these claims as true. Though there is a small likelihood that the event it discussed may happen for real, the very fact that it takes more than the last 3-digit PIN to decode a user's account disounts it as a hoax.

Trend Micro advises its customers to disregard, delete, and not pass this email message anymore because it is a hoax.

Original Message:

Subject: New Fraud technique

This was just sent from M. Pearson who got it from a lady she works out with. So, beware-- Subject: VISA & MASTER CARD FRAUD We all receive emails all the time regarding one scam or another; but last week I REALLY DID get scammed! Both VISA and MasterCard told me that this scam is currently being worked throughout the Midwest, with some variance as to the product or amount, and if you are called, just hang up.

My husband was called on Wednesday from "VISA" and I was called in Thursday from "MasterCard". It worked like this: Person calling says, "This is Carl Patterson and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud department at VISA. My Badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. This would be on your VISA card issued by 5/3 bank. Did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device for $497.99 from a marketing company based in Arizona?"

(Blah blah)

"

Sorry!