Peckham Rye Lane: Not very safe for bikes

AnotherPaul

I'm concerned someone (possibly me) will get seriously hurt cycling through Peckham.

In the mornings there seems to be no enforcement of parking laws on the south end of Rye Lane, between the notrth tip of the Rye and Rye train station. Vans and trucks delivering, parked on double yellows force buses to pull out into the on-coming traffic - mainly bikes - pretty wildly sometimes. Have I missed something, is the parking allowed at certain times?

Moving up the road one arrives at what can best be described as a comedy bike lane. Next to the single bus lane on the side of the pavement the bike lane is made of a different colour paving, but is not visually distinct enough for many pedestrians to notice it's there - an issue worsened by Peckham being the place to walk about in the road - seems completely the wrong pace to put a bikeway. Having witnessed one cyclist be knocked off inadvertently by a pedestrian and many more near accidents something should to be done to make Rye Lane safer.

Has anyone spoken to the Council about these issues?

mostly I think rye lane is wonderfully clear after the fight to get rid of cars

but I agree that cycle lanes and right of ways are used for parking and strolling

the rights of competing groups are still not clearly understood or taught

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-19420354

a paralympic medal winner was hit leaving him out of this summer's games

I did raise the matter of the pavement cycle lane at the time of construction with the relevant person at Southwark. His view was that neither pedestrian or cyclist have right of way and that it is designed to force shared, considerate use. I totally agree though that for many cyclists it's a pain in the ass, including the cycle traffic light at the end of the cycle lane that never works. I too have collided with pedestrians that suddenly moved accross in front of me leaving me no time to brake.

Yep I actively avoid this route as well and go via Bellenden instead. You can't really blame pedestrians for walking out in front of bikes as the cycle lane looks almost identical to the pavement! I've nearly hit peds a couple of times now which is why I avoid it. Really daft.

This and the other improvements to Rye Lane were meant to make it safer for pedestrians and cyclists, bit of a shame really as I doubt anything will be done about it now, it's already cost ?650,000:

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/news/article/368/peckhams_rye_lane_the_former_golden_mile_given_650_000_makeover

Simon Philips at Sothwark is the genius responsible for delivering it. Most of the cyclists using it I think are those also using the old canal route (that's when I use it). The added problem is cyclists jumping up from behind buses they can't overtake on the road.....another genius idea?!!!!!!!

I also spoke directly to Mr Philips about the plans for the pavement cycle path further south (just before the Rye Hotel) before that happened too, pointing out the danger to cyclists continuing along Peckham Rye from cars turning left as previously there had been a painted cycle lane on the road that fed off left only, meaning many cars thought any cyclist using it was turning left!!!! On that occasion he listened to the suggestions of those consulting (including predestrians and drivers) and some changes were made from the original plans. In that example a pavement cycle lane for those going left works better (no more confusion for other vehicle drivers) and there are far less people to worry about, but again the slightly darker shade of grey remained.

I think it's a desgin that works well in less populated sections but completely fails in heavy usage parts. This in my view is what the planning and design team have failed to understand.

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I totally agree though that for many cyclists it's a

> pain in the ass, including the cycle traffic light

> at the end of the cycle lane that never works.

DJKQ, I use this path pretty much everyday and yes, it is a PITA as it's so badly marked out, but I've never had a problem with the cycle traffic light - it's ben working fine everyday for the 2 years thatI've used it. The problem is that it works on a push-button system, just like a pelican crossing - I suspect you haven't yet seen the button as it's not the most obvious of things if you're unfamiliar with it - I regularly arrive at the junction to see cyclists sitting there waiting for the green light, unaware that they have to push the button.

You are right, I have never been aware you had to push a button. That is because I'm always looking upwards at the red light when I approach it, just like a driver looks at the lights. Why would I look underneath for a button to press if there's nothing to make me aware such a thing exists. Thank you for pointing it out though :).

Conversely, as a pedestrian, I find the cycle lane really dangerous. If one is crossing between two stationery buses, you have to know you are walking onto a cycle lane. If one is unacquainted with that part of Rye Lane, it's really bad news. Given that it is what it is, it's beholden on cyclist and pedestrian both to be extra vigilent when using that stretch.

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You are right, I have never been aware you had to

> push a button. That is because I'm always looking

> upwards at the red light when I approach it, just

> like a driver looks at the lights. Why would I

> look underneath for a button to press if there's

> nothing to make me aware such a thing exists.

> Thank you for pointing it out though :).

Quite. And it's not even underneath the lights, it's positioned on a pole to the left of the cycle path, completely unintuitive! I only noticed it when I saw someone else using it.