Why Kingsdale?

Oggy

My son has just been offered a year 7 place at Kingsdale starting in September and I am interested in any feedback from parents who already have children there. My son is non-sporty and bookish but reasonably confident and outgoing with a heart of pure gold. Apart from the level of support and encouragement for bright and sensitive children, I am interested in hearing about the general attitude of pupils towards learning and how well the school deals with bad behaviour such as bullying. We do have another fee paying option but my first impressions of Kingsdale are very positive. Any thoughts gratefully received.

I have a yr 7 daughter very happy there. She's in one of the express sets and seems suitably stimulated and stretched by the work. Struggled with homework the first few weeks but all sorted now. She says the classes are well controlled on the whole and teachers are very strict if anyone is disruptive. Haven't come across bullying but she has been upset about a personal matter and they have been extremely helpful and supportive. Great form tutor and head of year.

My son is in Year 8. He was the first child from his primary school (in Deptford) to attend Kingsdale, having been awarded a music scholarship. I was concerned, as is every caring parent, about the transition from a one-form entry highly pastoral school into the huge and daunting environment of secondary.

My fears were unfounded.

Ben hasn't been without issues there - both mild bullying and a mild physical assault from an older pupil inside school, and a mild mugging outside of school. Don't be alarmed by these - these incidents happen in every school. However, what matters is how they are dealt with. And I am pleased to say that all issues were dealt with in an exemplary manner, with excellent communication between staff, parent and pupil. Both verbal and email communication have been great. Staff are approachable and really care about their pupils.

A little disruption happens, inevitably, in some classes. However Ben assures me that it is dealt with adequately and doesn't adversely affect the learning environment.

My second son commences Kingsdale in September and is very excited.

My son starts Kingsdale in September too. We chose it over our local Lewisham schools having heard really positive things about it. My understanding is that bullying happens at most schools (and probably work-places too!) but that Kingsdale have handled any such incidents brilliantly. Their reputation has improved massively over the last few years, and so I'm sure they'll be keen to ensure that their reputation isn't unfounded.

My daughter is going in September too, and keeps coming across lots of other bright, lively, musical, creative, sporty, hard-working, fun, caring children from East Dulwich, Dulwich Village, Nunhead, Peckham and beyond who will also be starting in September. Not to mention the ones on this thread. Lots of high-achieving professional parents too (not me) who will make sure the school is up to scratch. Whatever happens, it sounds like it's going to be a really good bunch of children next year (are we still allowed to call them that when they are at big school?)

Hope to see you there in September.

How To Be Unemployed ? the white collar way

I have one son in Year 10 at Kingsdale and another in Year 7.

All I can say re this year's intake, Oggy, is that there will be hordes of people out there hoping that you won't take up the place so that their child can move up the waiting list - which is very long indeed. The school has been extremely popular this year - deservedly so.

From my experience the proceedures for bullying at Kingsdale are very robust. They employ a number of strategies which are very effective in not only preventing and stopping bullying but also helping those invloved in any incident to remain or become friends. My child was involved in a very small incident but it was dealt with very quickly and effectively.

Remember this school has a lot of experience in handling difficult children in the past and although their intake has radically changed they don't seem to have lost those skills. Bullying happens in the workplace (as any HR professional will tell you)so you must expect it in every school.

If I was to complain about Kingsdale it would have to be about their admin. Paperwork is not always their strong point. They recently had a mock inspection to identify their weak points so I expect they will have picked up on that.

Many thanks to all who have responded so helpfully on this thread. It is difficult to find any genuine detractors and taken together with our own impressions from several recent visits we feel confident that our son will have every chance of thriving at Kingsdale.

My son started there last September and is thriving. He is 'bookish' rather than sporty and loves the school. He has a nice group of friends and is very positive about everything but the lunches.....! I've met a few of the teachers and I've been very impressed by their attitude and enthusiasm.

• 2 weeks later...
My son is dyslexic, although has no statement and I suspect no chance of getting one. I am looking for a school that will help him become confident and enjoy learning (as he's going to have to work twice as hard to keep up). Has anyone experience of dyslexia support and Kingsdale?

My son is dyslexic. At Kingsdale he has gone from strength to strength. He took GCSE Geography in Year 9 and has just achieved two As in triple science GCSE (aged 14). He's also taking Maths and English GCSEs a year early. He is given extra time for exams, which gives him essential time for proof reading his answers.

Hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...
Also just rec'd the report. Kingsdale has been judged the most outstanding secondary school in the borough and one of the best in England. Confirms what many of us have known for a very long time but is only now deservedly achieving wider recognition.

I noticed on the latest newsletter (on the school website), some quoted entusiasm from pupils for the 'new lunches' - maybe they have changed?

It was interesting to note on the report how the pupil demographic has changed - i.e. "The intake for September 2010 has more girls than boys and the largest ethnic group is White British. The number of looked after children, refugees and asylum seekers is declining" - in light of that the fact that some have claimed the school is now 'targetting the middle classes'.

Or is it just that the school is now moving to a more balanced intake compared to what it had before? I really hope this is true, as I think the broad intake, & the ability to provide for it, is one of Kingsdale's strengths & was one of the things that attracted me to the school.

It is a really excellent report though, they should be really proud of it!

I agree about the diversity being one of the school's greatest strengths and hope that doesn't ever tip too far in the opposite direction. I don't think it's a matter of Kingsdale targeting the middle classes so much as those people suddenly noticing how the good school is and realising it's an option for their child.

westof Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I noticed on the latest newsletter (on the school

> website), some quoted entusiasm from pupils for

> the 'new lunches' - maybe they have changed?

Yes, when Ofsted came. Or maybe I'm a cynic but my child says the food this year has been dire.

The

> number of looked after children, refugees and

> asylum seekers is declining" - in light of that

> the fact that some have claimed the school is now

> 'targetting the middle classes'.

>

Since the school no longer has available places throughout the year groups, naturally those groups of children will decline as places won't be there for them when they move into the area.

I was reading an article in the newspaper recently written by two 'super' heads who were sent to transform failing schools. They suggested that the only key way to improve a school is to change the intake.

BB100 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I was reading an article in the newspaper recently

> written by two 'super' heads who were sent to

> transform failing schools. They suggested that the

> only key way to improve a school is to change the

> intake.

I'd really like to see that article. I was just thinking today how that is the way that schools "raise their standards". I'm glad we've got really good schools like Kingsdale in Southwark but I'm not convinced they all follow the admission rules strictly to the letter. So, what happens to the schools that haven't been given the special treatment of a superhead and what about the children who don't get in to Kingsdale?

While I can't find the article that was printed a couple of weeks ago I found this case-study / link which is probably even better at exploring how schools improve:

http://www.teachingexpertise.com/articles/case-study-bringing-about-school-improvement-2261

'While it is true that some of our school improvement strategies at the Westwood School are responsible for raising attainment and standards, it is also true that the school now attracts more able pupils, although still in small numbers. There is, then, something of a chicken-and-egg conundrum around whether the school is now more successful because it attracts more able pupils with supportive parents or that more supportive parents now choose the school because we are more successful. However, what we can be sure of is that, if we had not chosen to embark on a programme of school improvement, the school would be facing an uncertain future with declining roles and poor attainment and achievement.'

Thanks for that. I had a quick look and it seems like a very effective method, putting teachers' professional abilities and development at the centre of a scheme for improving pupils' attainment. That should work with pupils of all abilities and I get the impression from the discussion threads on EDF that the quality of education at Kingsdale is not at issue. My only experience of the school is as an applicant parent. I wonder if schools like Kingsdale relied only on methods for improving the learning environment as a way of achieving "most outstanding school" status would they have got there so soon.