New Bar - Hoopers - Ivanhoe Road

Eeek Squeak, it's about time that place was done up! The wife and I went to have a quick shant there once and legged it when we saw the inside!

It's near me too, and definitely on the way home so I might have to give it a go!

Boring fact - I was once going to rent a flat opposite to this pub when I was a young man!

ratty - I would have agreed until recently. It's not that culturally entrenched in the UK but when I was in SF last year, more than once I was the only one without one...

Second thing that made me think again was having work give me a laptop. So I would be waiting for other half in Bar Story, paper finished and thought I would give it a go... don't knock it

OH MY GOD ITS THE F'ING IVANHOE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excuse my incredulity, but I lived almost opposite for nigh on 20 years and it was always a dump, I went in there precisely twice.

I and anybody who could be bothered listening to me always thought that it was ideal for a thorough make-over that would attract nice, interesting people.

Last thing I had heard was that it was going to be turned into flats.

Strewth.

Nope

I checked out Hoopers tonight with Huguenot.

Nice place. Good ales (Harvey's, Brakspear and guest, porters and Belgians in bottle), it's done the place up with no gastro pretensions, just a lick of paint, a carpet clean and a smile.

Those who lament the passing of real pubs in ED might want to check it out as it's a boozer of the old CAMRA school. The main thing it seems to lack is custom, I hope it manages to fix that as it's not got much else wrong.