We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

http://www.ellyallen.com/

All Round Renovation

www.advancedpainters.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
messageRe: Traffic barrier - Goodrich Road
Posted by goodgirlbadhair June 09, 12:38PM

I will be fighting the closure of Goodrich Road on both ends as I am one of the houses affected with a highly vulnerable husband who needs weekly services and deliveries. This is a sledge hammer to crack a nut. How are the residents supposed to access emergency services, deliveries, building maintenance, etc?

Posted by goodgirlbadhair June 09, 12:45PM

Thank you everyone for your concern. We are now writing letters to the powers that be. As a resident in my home for over 30 years I can’t believe what I saw in the plans. I am pro school safety and pro environment but this is going to cause endless congestion in the neighbouring streets and more chaos and pollution. We have received no consultation or letter. I only found out about it through our fantastic local What’s app group Lordship to Upland. If you see a crazy lady lying across the road when they try to put the barriers down say hello.

Posted by goodgirlbadhair June 09, 01:08PM

As far as I understand it from the plans the road will be blocked off at both ends with concrete bollards aka war zones. These would not be removable accept by crane so it seems it would be permanently closed off for the duration of the scheme.

Posted by tomskip June 09, 01:28PM

I can't believe there will be a permanent barrier at both ends? What if there's a fire?

Posted by goldilocks June 09, 01:32PM

It does seem a really unusual design given there are houses on that road. Normally you might expect one end to close and the other to have some kind of moveable barrier for access (like the school street barriers or bollards)

@goodgirlbadhairday suggest speaking to your councillors (dulwich Hill ward I think there) for them to get greater clarity.

Posted by Rockets June 09, 01:43PM

The plans certainly show barriers at each end of the road - you have to hope that is some sort of mistake or oversight - the council seems to be rushing these all through so maybe commonsense will prevail.

All of the council's plans overlook displacement issues caused by them and there is a long held view by many that the fact these measures cause chaos elsewhere is useful to the council to help justify more changes.

Posted by Monkey June 09, 01:47PM

Oh well Rocky, there’s a massive planning application just behind my back garden - massive excavations which will cause subsidence, noise... and Southwark didn’t deem it necessary to inform me and even people who live much closer than me... No planning notice on site. And impossible to engage councillors on it. I think Southwark Council and Southwark Labour are competing in a race to the bottom.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was june 09, 01:50pm by Monkey.

Posted by Pugwash June 09, 11:48PM

With reference to my previous message - one of the parent governors of Goodrich was at the Healthy Streets meeting at Christ Church and he was attending on behalf of the school. Both Maggie Browning and Jon Hartley were at the meeting.

Posted by Monkey June 10, 05:34AM

Edited

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was june 12, 11:35pm by Monkey.

Posted by Monkey June 10, 05:46AM

Pugwash, there was talk last year of closing the roads around Goodrich at school drop off and pick up time. This has now been replaced with closure of the road with concrete blocks that will stay there initially for up to 18 months. I’ve come to realise that we’re not central enough here for Southwark Council and Southwark councillors to give a damn.

Goodgirl, sorry to hear about your husband and how this is all making things more difficult. I do hope our councillors have the decency to get in touch with you.

Posted by Nigello June 10, 02:59PM

This from a neighbour

Thank you for your letter.

Our highways officers have been in discussion with Goodrich School on how best to operate the road closure, which is proposed to improve safety for their children and make them more confident to walk and cycle to school. Through those discussions, we have agreed that the closure would be through having removable barriers at one end which would be managed by the school and only put in place at school dropping off and picking up times.

This would ensure that the homes within the closed off area would have access to vehicles outside of those times (usually about 30 minutes in both the morning and afternoon). In addition, at other schools where we have already put similar arrangements in place, the school has been amenable to any requests by residents living in roads within a closed off area to open the barrier if access is needed during the closed period.

I will ask our officers to make the school aware of your specific requirements to ensure that you are not locked in through these changes and that emergency vehicle access to your home won’t be prevented through this scheme.

I hope this provides reassurance. If you wish to follow up further on this, I have copied George Mellish (the officer overseeing the borough’s school streets programme) into this email and I am sure he will be happy to provide further answers.

Best wishes

Councillor Richard Livingstone

Posted by Roky Erickson June 10, 03:59PM

Thanks for this.

So there would be a removable barrier at one end ? And then what at the other ?

Posted by Nigello June 10, 04:12PM

See below.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was june 10, 04:14pm by Nigello.

Posted by Nigello June 10, 04:14PM

The proposal we are now looking it is to install a permanent closure (with NAL blocks) at one end, and a retractable gate to be used at the other at drop off and pick up times. This gate would be operated by the school, and through local agreements would be moved for residents of this section of Goodrich Road if access or egress is required. NAL blocks are only being used as a temporary measure for the duration of the experimental order, but we are looking at getting some sleeves produced for the blocks.

We believe this proposal will help solve the issue of this narrow section of road being used as ‘cut-through’, whilst also providing additional space for safe social distancing and as a result encouraging active travel.

We are currently in conversations with the school and trying to finalise the details with the school. At this point we will be able to amend the design drawings before the ETMO is advertised in the local press.

I hope this information helps.

Kind Regards

Posted by goldilocks June 10, 04:26PM

That seems a much more sensible plan than what was originally proposed in the first plans!

Posted by Roky Erickson June 10, 04:32PM

If the intent is to improve safety for children, and make them more confident to walk or cycle to school, surely it only makes sense to implement the closure during those school hours. Why close one end permanently, and during weekends and evenings when the school isn't even open ?

Posted by intexasatthe moment June 10, 07:06PM

Sorry if this has been explained and I've missed it but what is the rationale for the permanent closure ?

Sorry ,I guess it's to improve air quality by restricting vehicle movement .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was june 10, 07:09pm by intexasatthe moment.

Posted by intexasatthe moment June 10, 07:55PM

I'm not firing on all cylinders today ,I've looked at the plan and I can't work out which barrier will be permanent .Can someone assist me ?

Posted by Roky Erickson June 10, 08:22PM

The initial plan was for 2 permanent barriers. But, per the letter above, it's already been adjusted to become 1 permanent barrier, and 1 re-moveable. This is a more recent development, so isn't reflected in that original plan.

The rationale, according to the councillor, is to 'improve the safety of schoolchildren', allowing them to walk/cycle to school. But, surely that can be achieved with 2 removable barriers, and without having to close the roads completely during evenings and weekends, when there are no children there ??

intexasatthe moment Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm not firing on all cylinders today ,I've looked
> at the plan and I can't work out which barrier
> will be permanent .Can someone assist me ?

Posted by Jacqui5254 June 10, 09:45PM

And they were going to tell/mention/discuss with us residents....when?

Posted by Siduhe June 10, 10:05PM

Jacqui5254 Wrote:
> And they were going to tell/mention/discuss with
> us residents....when?

They aren’t. It’s all being done under the guise of emergency Covid-19 measures on a “temporary” basis with the possibility of being made permanent in future. I’m all for sensible, thought out measures to benefit the ED community as a whole but this feels like a total subversion of the democratic process.

Posted by Roky Erickson June 10, 10:18PM

We have to do all we can to stop this. They’ve already amended the original plans once, and say above that they are ‘currently in talks with the school’, so hopefully there’s something we can do. Please please do write to the people named above.

Does anybody here know anyone at the school who could be involved ?

Siduhe Wrote:
> Jacqui5254 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > And they were going to tell/mention/discuss
> with
> > us residents....when?
>
> They aren’t. It’s all being done under the guise
> of emergency Covid-19 measures on a “temporary”
> basis with the possibility of being made permanent
> in future. I’m all for sensible, thought out
> measures to benefit the ED community as a whole
> but this feels like a total subversion of the
> democratic process.

Posted by intexasatthe moment June 11, 09:11AM

If they are in talks with the school why aren't they in talks with the residents living in the area between the barriers ?

Posted by Nigello June 11, 10:09AM

The road is no longer used in the same way as it was twenty-odd years ago when the mini roundabouts at Dunstan’s and Upland (always ignored, poor things) and the narrowing of the road/extending of pavement near Dunstan’s were put in. They used to have yellow zigzags on the school side but they were taken away when, I think, the council extended them on the Dunstan’s and/or Upland sides. Since then, double yellows have extended at the four corners so less overall parking is available.
I am pleased the road is being looked at because I have witnessed arguments and road rage and also felt the shaking of the house when heavy vehicles - the kind you see on motorways with eight wheels - go past at speed (because the bumps are worn out from heavy and frequent traffic) and then brake when the driver sees the road has been narrowed (as a safety feature, remember?)! For a few years I have asked about the possibility of a one way system or a temporary barrier. This goes further and I am on the whole please with it. Others may disagree and it is their right to do so and to get their point across to those who have the power here.
I am displeased that the council sent an officer, published a report with a map saying it would be cut off at both ends with ugly concrete bollards, without having consulted at least the householders on that stretch.
At least Southwark has responded quickly and in good faith, so I am glad about that. I did, though, spell out my and others’ dissatisfaction at the lack of taking ideas of residents into consideration.

Posted by Jacqui5254 June 11, 11:32AM

In my opinion, Goodrich Road isn't a 'cut through', its a residential road.

Temporary barriers to protect schoolchildren by all means, but changing access in this way will result in all sorts of problems.
What about access for larger vehicles, deliveries, building works, emergency vehicles? This road isn't wide enough for u-turns to be performed safely for all but the smallest car.

Surely if you make a road a 'cul-de-sac' you have to make provision for vehicles to exit as well as enter?

Giving the school the responsibility without discussing with residents is barmy. Everyone uses these roads differently and we know the ins and outs of accessing these roads, plus residents have different needs.

When the council drastically reduced parking spaces by extending the double yellows on every corner, it increased the number of times the residents have to drive around Dunstans, Crebor and Goodrich roads trying to park. Altering this stretch of Goodrich will add another layer of complication which, in turn, will add to the more pollution and car use.

Looking at the plans I think it was a project given to the 5yr olds..."how would you make this road safe for children to walk to the school"
"Miss, Miss!! Put big lumps of something hard at each end and then no one can get in!"
"Well done Timothy. We'll go with that."

Posted by Rockets June 19, 11:10AM

Was there any update on this - are the council still going ahead with one permanent and one moveable barrier on Goodrich road and can we expect to see these go in in a matter of days?

To Jacqui5254's point - these plans seem a bit odd. BTW are there similar traffic calming measures outside Heber?

I do hope all those impacted are putting their weight behind One Dulwich.

Posted by Roky Erickson June 19, 12:32PM

I emailed Councillor Maggie Browning last week, who responded by saying she would be "seeking clarity from officers on how the road closure will work in practice and what times of day it will be in place".

In terms of the consultation with residents, she also said: "The comments on the website were from me as a local councillor and I was referring to the need to inform the school, school governors and residents of these plans before they are put in place. I will be checking this has been done"

I shall follow-up again with her now, but I would urge anybody else to write to her too

Rockets Wrote:
> Was there any update on this - are the council
> still going ahead with one permanent and one
> moveable barrier on Goodrich road and can we
> expect to see these go in in a matter of days?
>
> To Jacqui5254's point - these plans seem a bit
> odd. BTW are there similar traffic calming
> measures outside Heber?
>
> I do hope all those impacted are putting their
> weight behind One Dulwich.

Posted by katgod June 21, 09:51AM

No there is nothing like this on Heber Road. Nearby examples include Harris Primary on Landcroft Road (junction with Whateley Road and Sylvester Road), the area outside the school is closed to traffic by a big concertina style barrier that is wheeled in and out of the school playground for 45 minutes or so around pick up and drop off times. Nothing permanent except the signs warning of the street closure. Bessemer Grange school has a different solution with bollards in the road that are raised and lowered at the busy times. I would think the Landcroft Road approach would work fine at Goodrich. Permanent closure seems very heavy handed.

Posted by Roky Erickson June 23, 11:49AM

Dear Resident

I am writing to you following the recent contact you made relating to our proposed measures on Goodrich Road between Dunstans Road & Upland Road.

Following further discussions, we have decided to de-scope the proposed scheme in order to ensure access is maintained at all times to residents. We did approach the school about a potential timed closure operated at one or both of the junctions, however they felt it would not address the main issues they’d raised and that they did not have the necessary resources in order to be able to operate the barriers in the morning and afternoon.

As a result, we have proposed to close the junction of Goodrich Road and Dunstans Road which should tackle the issue of HGV’s using the narrow road as a cut through, whilst also maintaining access for residents. We have also included the plans to temporarily widen the footways around the main gates in order to facilitate social distancing and encourage active travel. This is part of a borough wide approach and we are currently looking at implementing these measures at around 12 schools.

I must stress that these amended proposals have not yet been signed of by the cabinet member, and we await feedback from yourselves, the school and ward councillors before proceeding. If we are to proceed then these measures will be implemented as part of an Experimental Traffic Management Order which usually has a duration of 12-18 months. As part of an ETMO the consultation period runs concurrently with the duration of the order, as opposed to a regular permanent TMO where there is 21 days statutory consultation prior to the Order being made.

I hope this information helps, if you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards

George Mellish

Principal Engineer (Acting)

Transport Projects

Highways

Environment & Leisure

Southwark Council

3rd Floor, Hub 2

160 Tooley Street

PO Box 64529

London

SE1P 5LX

Posted by Rockets June 23, 03:02PM

So the measures being put in place to help the school didn't actually work for the school and the school rejected them....anyone else think the council isn't giving this the level of thought and planning required for such measures?Also, given the junction of Goodrich and Dunstans is a roundabout which part of it are they going to block?

Also, are the measures at 12 other schools on the list of emergency plans the council has listed on their site or will these just pop up without any consultation with local residents? Look at the disaster the Goodrich scheme would have been for the residents on the street - thank goodness they were able to intervene.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum