Lordship lane shop gossip (lounged)

Mark

83 Lordship lane:

The proposed operation will predominantly trade ?take-away? in addition to offering a small restaurant seating approximately 6-9 covers. The applicant is the ?Bombay Bicycle Club? chain which offer Indian cuisine.

The proposed use opening hours are 5pm to 11pm, 7 days a week.

Home delivery is proposed, with 3 mopeds serving this unit.

It's got permission to have 3 delivery scooters, hurrah! I was just thinking it's about time another food place opened up round here;)

You can see the full application here (PDF): http://www.southwark.gov.uk/Uploads/FILE_22175.pdf#search=%2283%20lordship%20lane%22

A while ago M&S took over about 20 branches of Iceland across the country. I think certain people read about this and assumed the East Dulwich branch was included, given ED's rapid gentrification over the past few years. As far as I know there is nothing to suggest either that Iceland is going or M&S is coming to East Dulwich at all apart from unsubstantiated rumours. But I would love to know if anyone know more than I do!

Thought I'd might as well ask the horse...

-----Original Message-----

To: M&S Retail Customer Services

Subject: Marks and Spencer in East Dulwich?

Hi

Please could you tell me if M&S are going to be opening a branch in London's East Dulwich, SE22? I live there and rumours are floating around that you are to open a store, so I though I would ask you directly...

many thanks

Mark

Dear Mark,

Thank you for your email. We are unable to confirm details of a new store in this location. Until a store has been signed off by our development team we cannot provide further details.

Regards

DAVID LESLIE

Marks & Spencer, Retail Customer Service

Telephone: 0845 302 1234

E-mail: [email protected]

• 2 weeks later...
I'm seriously thinking about opening a Majorcan 'tapas style' bar/cafe/deli on, or off, Lordship Lane. What does anyone think about this? I can see there's still a big market for this kind of place at the evenings and weekends but am wondering what the lunchtime trade is like. If anyone has any suggestions or help to offer I'd be very grateful. Thanks. Polly

Polly,

I think this would go down very well around LL. Whenever I have been around in the daytime, it has always been busy on the main strip, but venture too far off, and it may be quiet. Have you considered North Cross Road? This is becoming the best place for independent shops/cafes/bar in E.D. (IMHO)

Tim

There used to be a tapas bar/restaurant where the Coriander Indian restaurant is now. It shut down about four years ago because it alsways empty. But I never went in there, it looked unwelcoming, cheap and nasty. Lordship Lane is also a different place now, you might have more success.

Have a look at Iceland's website under Media Centre, latest press releases. The 28 stores acquired by M&S are:

2. The 28 stores sold to Marks & Spencer are in Durham Arnison Centre, Ballyhackamore, Bicester, Biggin Hill, Braintree, Caversham, Christchurch, Cirencester, Cleveleys, Coleraine, Devizes, Hazel Grove, Hertford, Honiton, Market Harborough, Morpeth, Morningside Edinburgh, Newtonards, Northallerton, Oadby, Ormskirk, Palmers Green, St Neots, South Woodford, Sudbury, Tewkesbury, Torquay and Trowbridge.

Hope this'll put an end to the rumour....

Hi Mark,

2 of the shops (not the corner shop) of the former Walsh Glazing is going to be 'White Stuff'. For those of you who don't shop in Clapham, Battersea, Wimbledon, etc, it is a trendy 'urban' clothing company.

This is a fact as they have now exchanged on the lease.

Hope this answers your query.

James S.(HHP)

P.S. Please can you include us on your home page local directory, as residntial and commercial agents?

Thanks for the update James, please keep us posted on any other developments.

By all means if you get someone independent to recommend you I can certainly put you on the Business Page. Please get them to email us at the forum directly (click the link at the bottom of this page) or post it in this http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/list.php?9 section of the site.

Thanks again,

Mark

I heard M and S are going into the police station - apparently came from a police man, can't see it happening but thought I should share it anyway!

If the M&S at the police station is true then (leaving aside the implications of losing a local police station) I would say that for once, having a chain open would be a good thing - it will open up the whole ground floor of that SHOCKINGLY ugly building

Also It will encourage more driftage up that end of the Lane which at the moment has many a would-be visitor looking a bit lost and scared ("is that everything? yup")