Lordship lane shop gossip (lounged)

Mark

Talk of Italian, reminds me of the famous Luciano family of North Cross Road, who are now renound in certain parts of the world for their Ice Cream. My uncle, who was born in 1926, went to school with one of the Luciano boys, and remembers the Ice Cream and other Italian dishes which were served on the corner shop which is now a Thai restaurant I believe. The Luciano family moved to ED from southern Italy in the late 19th century and set up business on North Cross Road. They made ice cream out the back of their premises, and eventually started selling the famous "lemon ice sorbet" to people from a stall at Peckham Rye Park from the 1920s onwards. The family eventually moved in the early 1970s to the United States, and went on to open up a company selling confectionary products, and now mass produce sorbet and ice cream from their headquarters in Wyoming. A little bit of ED history which has expanded across the globe.... Would be nice to see a slice of Italy make a welcome return to ED someday..

I'd just like to echo what others have said about having a mixed and varied shopping area. I wouldn't like to have just a high street full of chain stores - on the other hand, it'd be nice to have somewhere where you can just buy socks or knickers in the area - as opposed to yet another trendy, boutique with lots of pricey knick knacks!! I'm self-employed and I use Cafe Nero loads!! Before, I felt really self-conscious getting my laptop out in Mon Petit Chou or Blue Mountain - at the end of the day, the propertiers of those places don't want self-employed people with laptops nursuing one latte cluttering up the place! There is no ethical issue for me about using Cafe Nero as a second workplace - I don't feel like I should be moving on for the lunch crowd or I should be buying food to support them or anything that I feel if I'm working in an independent cafe. I also have a toddler and again, struggling with a buggy and trying to fold it up/put it away while holding onto a squirming toddler in a busy cafe on my own is not fun! What I try to do is when I'm not working or am not on my own with the toddler is to use the independent cafe's - and then I tend to have lunch or breakfast so I'm spending more anyway. In regards to Peckam, I shop in Peckham and it's a pretty vibrant shopping area! It seems to me all the independent shops in the marketplace and the Rye are pretty buzzing and they seem to rub along with the chains - Primark, Woolies, Holland and Barnett, Mothercare, Comet, Morrisons. The farmers market on a Sunday seems to do good trade as well. I actually think Peckham is a pretty good model really - and they've got a great and affordable cinema!

Are you his nephew? Robert Elms likes Spandau Ballet and speaks Spanish. He cannot be trusted.

There is a wet fish van that rocks up on North Cross Road on a weekly basis. There is also a superb fish shop in Nunhead. Haddock surprise is a brilliant dish, it involves being sent out to buy halibut and well, you know...

Not related at all but a guest on the show that runs a fishmongers in Clapham said that he was about to open a shop in Lordship Lane, East Dulwich.

I'm not that interested as I'm allergic to fish!

It's TRUE! Moxon's of Clapham are opening in Lordship Lane in late Jan. They wouldn't give me the address but they definitely confirmed they are opening. Good news, a local business and a fishmonger in one go. This is exactly what ED needs, WOOHOO!!

• 3 weeks later...

What a strange new retailer to want (or be allowed to) open up on Lordship Lane - White Stuff!

I wasn't even aware of the brand (was it maybe a white goods dealership - fridges, freezers, etc?)and have just looked online I'm unexcited and dejected by the idea.

Although I had a few misgivings about it, I can see the rationale behind an M&S food hall, but not a bland crappy Uniqlo-type clothes mart - it's so the wrong way to go...

I completely agree with you Tim. The thing that I like about East Dulwich is its laid-back quirkiness - something which is being eroded by the Claphamisation. This White Stuff place looks awful - dull clothes for people with more money than taste. I hope I'm wrong though.

hannas italian restaurant on ED road was a wondeful place to go for seafood and pizza.. however, it failed to get much of a regular customer base and closed down in 2003, it is now a chinese restaurant, which i am told is rather good..

I am an ED dweller (6 years)

I read the Guardian

I HAD already read this

and I HAD thought about posting it on here

Time to replace my predictabilty-battery

• 4 weeks later...

James Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I completely agree with you Tim. The thing that I

> like about East Dulwich is its laid-back

> quirkiness - something which is being eroded by

> the Claphamisation. This White Stuff place looks

> awful - dull clothes for people with more money

> than taste. I hope I'm wrong though.

you,re not wrong i,ve just spend the weekend in whitstable kent,very pretty quaint old seaside town.but in what i would call the arty end of town there is a white stuff,never come across one before so after hearing it being dissed to the eyeballs i thought i,d better pop my head in.its bascially a clone of gap selling overpriced denims and wollens in various shades of brown,i must admit there was some nice stuff there but it was on the whole uninspiring.saying that despite the dissing there will def be a market for it in ed.

The fishmongers is here.....

I think a record shop is needed.

Do they still sell pizza above the EDT? That was pretty tasty...so was the Italian restaurant next to Green and Blues...but when I went there I was the only person in there. I think it was all down to the sign putting people off because the food wasn't bad at all.....

Mon Petit Chou becoming Italian? Would it change its name to 'Il mio cavolo piccolo'? They already sell pizza.