Lordship lane shop gossip (lounged)

Mark

tommy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'd like a Bodeans.

This. I'm sucker for their excellent meat platters, cold Sam Adams beer and large screens showing the NFL.

Although, Cla*ham has a Bodeans...first Oliver Bonas, then Adventure Bar and now Bodeans.

It's a slippery slope I tells yer.

It's not quite Lordship Lane, but it is gossip....

...the cafe in Peckham Rye have applied for both an alcohol license and a license to stay open till 11pm. Ordinarily I'd say we had enough drinking establishment but I'm thinking a few ice-cold beers on a lazy summer's eve might go down a treat.

All those in favour please raise their drinking hand.

God only knows what will be coming next, some sort of cafe selling overpriced coffee and pizza with a free copy of the Guardian to boot. Heaven for a large number of trendy urbanites on here who think living close to a shithole like Peckham is edgy as opposed to scary.

Louisa.

I'm a huge fan of the Gowlett pizza. I'd like to see a sit down pizzeria on LL rather than the take away places.

Or perhaps the Plough should specialize in pizza to take over from the Mag (which I don't think does pizza anymore but could be wrong), but also I'm not sure if a pub does good pizza it needs to do anything else? surely everyone likes good pizza?

Most high streets have a sit down pizzeria, so we are def missing something, perhaps a business opp for someone.

The park is a place for tranquility not for a load of smelly old boozers walking home of an evening making untold noise.

As for pizza, no not everyone thinks a bit of flat bread with a few toppings on top is anything other than posh cheese on toast. How anyone can honestly distinguish the difference between a supermarket pizza and one made at some posh bar I have no clue, what a bloomin waste of money.

Louisa.

Sean what makes you think that everyone loves pizza? Honestly please tell me... I mean if you were talking about cooking a nice piece of meat or some complex dish which involved a whole host of ingredients I am pretty sure I could understand, but it is a friggin pizza, it is a cheapo tasteless fast food snack that is bland and usually boring. If you wanna posh it up by sticking some sun dried tomatoes or a fried egg on top be my guest but honestly it's just like posh cheese on toast. I have NEVER seen the appeal at all. Again it must be a class thing, because most people would be happy going out with the family for a treat at pizza hut (god knows why) or just buying a frozen pizza from Sainsbury's. A pub that sells this crap for over the odd's prices needs to be closed down in my opinion.

Louisa.

Brilliant

Louisa - "If you wanna posh it up by sticking some sun dried tomatoes or a fried egg on top be my guest but honestly it's just like posh cheese on toast. I have NEVER seen the appeal at all. Again it must be a class thing, because most people would be happy going out with the family for a treat at pizza hut"

Sorry to be blunt Louisa but how the f**k is this a class thing? How big is the class chip on your shoulder that you bring it up every frakkin' (yes, I watch the middle class Galactica) time. I enjoy your posts but you're getting as boringly predictable as AFN.

You'll have to forgive Louisa, the poor old dear.. Due to an unfortunate industrial accident many years ago, her taste buds became stuck in the 1970s. It's not her fault if she can't tell the difference between those flat discs of cardboard you buy in Iceland with a scraping of tomato paste and cheddar 'number three' on top - and a real pizza.

Superb post, Louisa!! Now pizza is "a class thing"!

I don't think anyone is claiming that it's haute cuisine, but it is an ideal accompaniment to a couple of pints IMO. Simple and quite tasty... not too stodgy but substantial enough to soak up the booze.

don't forget Louisa's comments on anothr thread

You see? The class system is being imposed on her agaisnt her will - she isn't doing anything to perpetuate it

Other things there isn't really any difference in, and only deluded middle class people are happy to pay more for presumably include

Those own brand lagers which cost 4 for 99p versus (say) Budvar

Cheap, over-sugared and flavour enhanced wines versus realistically priced good wine

Galtee cheese versus any of the artisan ones found in, oooohm pick a deli

Greggs Saus.. oh we've done that one

etc

etc

I like the cafe in Peckham Rye, and it's quite far away from any houses, so I think it would be great if it stayed open later. However, if any of the people who live near the Rye come on here and give better information about the noise carrying I'll defer to them.

It would be even better if it retained a cafe feel for the early evening at least to it rather than turning into yet another bar. Realistically, it's going to continue to be packed full of people with small children, and the noise inside due to the acoustics is already pretty unbelievable, so I can imagine it might be considered a bit 'unfamily-unfriendly'.

OK maybe class and pizza is a step too far, but I think that if your going to a pub you should go there for a drink and not to sit down eating a bloody hot pizza, otherwise why dont we just rename the pub Pizza Hut or Pizza Express or however many other stupid and pointless take out and restaurants aimed at this annoying and pointless snack food. Anyway, i've had a pizza from all the major supermarkets and was once forced to have one at an Italian restaurant and I thought they werer all pretty pointless and did not substitute a proper dinner as far as I was concerned.

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> .......................................was once

> forced to have one at an Italian restaurant and I

> thought they werer all pretty pointless and did

> not substitute a proper dinner as far as I was

> concerned.

>

> Louisa.

Somebody actually forced you to eat a pizza? Were they middle class?

Bloody hell! No wonder you hate everything(td)