What to do about all the dog pooh in Dulwich?

TonyQuinn

Citizens of Dulwich. I am at my wit's end and I have contributed to the main dog story doing the rounds at the moment but I think it's time we worked out a strategy of how to cope with the mounting levels of dog deposits on our pavements. As I'm sure you are all aware, it's filthy out there....reminds me of Paris a decade or so ago. The occasional dog deposit is neither here nor there but what I am seeing on an almost daily basis is crap in the middle of the narrow pavement. Owners obviously don't give a monkey's about any of their responsibilities. Now what the hell can we do to clean up our pavements? Please all join me in writing a short missive to the council urging action.

https://securesite.southwark.gov.uk/ShowForm.asp?fm_fid=273

I'm sorry but I just don't get this at all. Are we walking along the same streets? Yes, dog pooh is unpleasant but I just don't seem to notice any great amount of it. Perhaps you are so annoyed about this that you are 'filtering' for dog pooh and can spot a turd at a hundred yards?

I was talking about this subject this morning with a neighbour. We are both absolutely disgusted with the amount of dog poo on our road (Silvester). Any dog owners who allow their dog to mess without clearing it up should be ashamed of themselves. I have a 14 month old who has just started walking. I thought it would be nice for her to have her first walk on the pavement yesterday and she stepped in some outside our house. Lovely. Thanks for the memory! I'm sure it's not all dog mess but must also be the result of foxes but I would support any action taken against irresponsible dog owners. Good call TonyQuinn.

I lived on Upland Road and never had any problems there. It's since we moved up the hill a bit that it's become more of an issue. As Morty said, Silvestor Road is bad as are all the other streets further up. Clearly there appear to be more irresponsible dog owners further up the hill. Council have responded and will be clearing up the mess I spotted this morning within a few hours....really not a bad service at all.

But that's only masking the issue and letting the irresponsible dog owners off the hook...for now!

we have noticed a huge increase on overhill road recently and I know it will also be careless dog walkers and foxes but I saw a young female dog walker go up our street the other day. she had about 6 dogs with her and one of them did foul the pavement, she stopped and was looking at it whilst I went into the shop, when I came out the poo was still there and no sign of the walker. Have been wondering if she was a new dog walker who uses our street regularly and dosent ever clear up after the dogs she walks. it would explain the sudden increase on our street. I will however be using the link and start to report it now I know the procedure, thanks for that.

On our 2 minute walk to school near Goose Green it's not at all uncommon to have to circle carefully around 5 separate dog pooh deposits. It's utterly grim. And with 2 kids and a pushchair the odds are high of a foot or wheel ending up in the stuff. My 5 year old and 7 year old are now experts at spotting the stuff and calling out warnings, but it shouldn't be this way. Will contact the council now as several parents have been discussing what to do about this.

ludoscotts Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> walkers and foxes but I saw a young female dog walker go up our street the other day. she had

> about 6 dogs with her and one of them did foul the pavement, she stopped and was looking at it

> whilst I went into the shop, when I came out the poo was still there and no sign of the walker.

> Have been wondering if she was a new dog walker who uses our street regularly and dosent ever

> clear up after the dogs she walks. it would explain the sudden increase on our street.

If you see her again you might try giving her a copy of one of the relevant Southwark web pages. This one, for example, fits on one side of A4. http://www.southwark.gov.uk/YourServices/environment/AnimalWelfare/dogfoulingact.html You could cross out the ?50 fixed penalty and write in ?75, which is the current figure.

Ashbourne Grove is getting quite a bit of this dogs shit, along with the other shit that turns out from the numerous bars in Lordship lane, with people coming out of the bars and pissing everywhere, along with putting bottles through people?s front room windows,Rubbish being left on the pavements in front of food stores and the Council allowing it to happen. It seems that our Councillors always want to do things but never get anything done, stems from the Councils policies, NO ONE IN the COUNCIL IS ACCOUNTABLE, One rule for us and another for them. Now that elections are coming up we seem to, all of a sudden hear a lot from the parties, who wants to help us with our problems, but once they are in, good bye to what?s good for the community, and let?s look after ourselves

Fully support this. I live on Whateley Rd and there is usually a daily dog's egg on the pavement in the mornings. I mentioned the prevalence of turds to counsellors (or their helpers) when they were electioneering. I often call the council to empty the dogshit bins too. Will follow up as TonyQuinn suggests, although fair play to the council, they sort out the bins very quickly.

Any suggestion of how to stop it at source, so to speak? Other than corks...

It sounds like there are repeat offenders on certain roads. There was a thread about this recently regarding poo near St. John's School. Has that got any better? I think it is worse in the parks. I have seen one guy with a yellow labrador using both Warwick Gardens and Peckham Rye and not picking up his dog's mess. He usually walks ahead of his dog or looks in the opposite direction while the dog does his business in an effort to pretend not to notice. I remonstrated with him in Warwick Gardens and he ignored me for about ten minutes while he read a paper and then walked over to the poo and squashed it into the ground with a bag. Did not pick it up. Obviously didn't want a woman telling him what to do!

An employee of a well known dog walker was fined in Peckham Rye for not picking up one of her charge's poos. I also saw another of that dog walker's employees ignore a poo and when I told her about it she said she was too busy to pick it up. I think it is impossible to adequately police 4 plus dogs if they are all off the lead. What did the dog walker with the 6 dogs on Overhill Road look like Ludoscotts?

OK. So everyone wants something done. What exactly?

I am not saying that nothing can be done but what practical steps do people suggest? Clearly there are some dog owners who simply do not care and are happy for their dogs to c**p in the streets. Equally, unless we have a prohibitively expensive (and Police State-like) situation where there are dog wardens on every corner ready to levy fines; and cleaning service hit-squads prowling the streets ready to scoop away every turd the moment it is deposited, there will inevitably be dog pooh on the streets from time to time.

Instead of moaning about the Council and expecting them to do the impossible, has anyone any practical suggestions?