What to do about all the dog pooh in Dulwich?

TonyQuinn

I am a dog owner, and am equally disgusted at people who don't clear their dog's mess up. It appalls me that they think it's fine to let their dogs crap in public places. They're the same people who think it's OK to throw McDonalds food containers out of moving cars. I have a huge pile of the free green poo bags (supplied at the libraries and Peckham Rye) and always offer them to peolple who are caught short.

For several weeks now, I have had to do the early morning walk behind the flats in Overhill Road because the 'anti-dog brigade' have demanded a new gate be installed in the old Camberwell cemetary, closing off a large, clean expanse of public greenery. The space behind the flats is shocking for dog mess. Either my dogs, or I step in a pile virtually every time we go. The other morning a young man took his dog out and stood smoking a fag while the dog ran around (presumably amusing itself) and he waited until the dog had emptied himself. I told the guy his dog had crapped, and he stood and stared at me. My friend who is a dog walker has had many run-ins with men who tell her to F off if she points out their dog's mess.

Sadly, I don't think the kind of people who leave their mess are the kind of people who read this kind of forum. (or who read....??) So it seems a bit of a waste of time to target your average dog-owner - most of whom are very conscientious. In my experience it's usually youngsters, who are always very apologetic and a bit embarassed, and guys who own certain breeds and don't give a monkeys whether or not you offer them a bag. Cleaning poo is beneath them. I'd love to see some fining in action but I agree that signs, stencils, etc don't really work. (There aren't ANY poo bins that I am aware of behind the estate...) I saw someone sticking a flag on a toothpick in all the pavement poo weeks ago, and then sometime later, someone taking a photo of it. Funny but sad. Maybe we should do a photographic installation of how messy our beloved ED has become in the gallery in Northcross Road.

"Maybe we should do a photographic installation of how messy our beloved ED has become in the gallery in Northcross Road."

That is a great suggestion.....leave it to Tallulah!

Disappointed to see this thread back mind. I generally sense there's been some improvement though someone around Goodrich Road continues to allow their mutt to foul wherever!

Whoever it is, I have a great surprise for you if I ever find you!

Remember folks, zero tolerance for this and extreme prejudice for the culprits!

I agree with Tallulah about the 'type' of male person who doesn't pick up their dog's doings. Those people will also unwrap a chocolate bar and throw the wrapping on the pavement, same with the cellophane from a cigarette pack and food wrappings. But in the park it can quite often be anyone busy on their mobiles who don't watch their dog/turn their back on their dog.

I think it could also help if more bins were placed where the stenciled signs are on the pavement.

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I envy anyone who has so much time and energy to

> focus on dog poo. Most people have far more

> worrying things to worry about.

Yes, of course I'm lounging about at lunchtime on a Friday in my smoking jacket and about to nourish myself with a fine pina colada.....

Come off it Killa, get off your high horse.

People have differing views about this and that.

Excrement on the streets of Dulwich clearly upsets a fair number of people, given the amount of contributions to this thread. I dare say, you have contributed to a fair number of threads that are irrelevant to me and others.

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

> I can;t even ride a horse but when I read pompoius

> statements like

>

> zero tolerance for this and extreme prejudice for

> the culprits!

>

> I think get a life. And I also think, go ask the

> fish in the Thames how they like your effluent

> polluting their space every day.

I write those words with a heavy dose of irony.......clearly went over your head Killa.

What fishes?

All the best TQ

Southwark council currently have a consultation on their website which you can use to 'vent' or something more constructive should you so choose. You can also phone the council's environmental department and apparently they commit to clearing up any reported poo in 4 hours. Having spent yesterday scrubbing my carpet, and having spent today scrubbing my car, I'm right now thinking all dogs should be banned. Actually I'd go further than that but I daren't say it here, I've seen what you lot can do.

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

> I envy anyone who has so much time and energy to

> focus on dog poo. Most people have far more

> worrying things to worry about.

LOL - I have PLENTY of more-worrying things to worry about, as, I am sure, do most of the people on the forum. I would ALSO have more time in which to worry about them, if I spent less of it cleaning dog cr*p off shoes. Oh, of course, I can always worry about them WHILST cleaning shit off shoes - thanks for the inspirational thought.

A count of ten shoes yesterday ...

I am a dog owner - and walk a dog who is incapable of getting to the park without going to the loo - this has driven me MAD...(no other dog I've had has ever usually fouled outside the park) - however, while I obviously have ALWAYS picked it up off the pavement, I managed (over a matter of weeks) to teach him to pull onto the road when he wants to go so he now does not go on the pavement...I do this because even when you pick up dog poop off the pavement it often leaves a mark which is unpleasant. When he goes in the road I still obviously always ALWAYS pick it up.

I really don't understand why dog owners don't pick it up.

My other dog likes to run as far away in the park as possible to go to the loo (he likes his privacy) which means I have to run in a farcical way to go and pick it up -- which I ALWAYS do...

I have spent a good 10 minutes searching for it too in the park..

I go to these lengths to pick up the dog poop because that is (imo) what every dog owner should do.

I can't understand why dog owners leave dog poo in the street -

I have sympathy with all dog owners over most issues - dogs are often difficult and down right humilating (my dog barking manically at cats - also on my never ending list of things I am training her not to do!) but what they should never have their poo left on the pavement.

Just my opinion.

Also want to add - most people in Peckham Rye Park pick up their dog mess...loads of great dog owners in east dulwich, just a shame a few let the rest of us down!

Hi talluah71,

~council officers assure me that street cleaners have less crap to clear where these stencils are placed.

I have to be honest I've not checked this with a cross section of street cleaners myself but it appears to improve streets where its done as I usually get fewer complaints after they've been placed.

Clearly some dig owners are idiots who don't give a damn for the rest of us. If their is a god these owners will keep stepping in it.

Suggestions

1) Dog Nappies

2) Instead of sneaking around in their priuses to find car owners, the local wardens should get up early and patrol the streets and enforce the current laws/bylaws.

3) new law, it will be against the law for any dog walker to pass some dog shit without picking it up, regardless of whose dog did it, Collective responsibility for their lovely mutts would fix it in no time, If enforced.

Having said that, i thought things had improved around my area.

Well, we could introduce laws of collective responsibility in all sorts of areas- anyone that consumes takeaway food or drinks out of glasses/bottles near a public area should, by law, have to, pick up any litter they see: discarded gum, chicken bones, half eaten sarnies, smashed glass of any kind, ciggie butts................should fix any littering problem, I agree :)