Deseased Black Cat Found along Barry Road

Sorry to be the bearer of such sad news :( on my way shopping at around 14:15hrs I saw a black cat lying in the road between a parked motorbike and a parked car just outside The Royal British Legion Club along Barry Road. The cat was already deceased and seemed to had been there for a while. I had taken the cat to "The Neighbourhood Veterinary Centre" at 1 Barry Parade Barry Rd/Peckham Rye,East Dulwich, SE22 0JA. (Vets Phone Number: 0208 299 2388)to be checked for a micro-chip but unfortunately they could not find/locate one.

From what I could see the cat was pure black, a healthy size of medium build with no collar. I am Sorry but I had totally forgot to ask if the cat was male or female but I can give them a call on Monday to find out. Hopefully they will keep hold of the cat for a few days... just incase someone comes forward and or wants to check incase they think it maybe theirs.

Oh thank you, I was walking back there probably half an hour before you on my way back from the vet (with my own cat in tow) I called the vets to see if someone could pop and get the poor thing as I had nothing to put it in and my cat was meowing to get home. Then I got furious at a load of speeding cars and a lorry. I hope the owners can be found - sad thought it is, better to know.

Thank you minder and miss_mystra.

I was on the opposite side of the road on the bus when I saw the poor cat lying there so I jumped off when I could and took the bus back up to where he/she was laying. I just happened to have with me a few big thick bags as I was going shopping and I was on my own at the time.I would've found something somewhere if I didn't have those bags on me, there's no way I could've just carried on with my journey and not stop to see what I could do. I carried the poor cat all the way to the vets and when I got there they mentioned that someone had not that long ago called in about the same cat which must of been yourself miss_mystra, so thank you too.

I too have cats myself and god forbid if anything like that was to happen to mine I would like to know that a stranger or passer by would do the same for them/me. Its such a shame the poor thing was not micro-chipped! It makes all the difference. I've noticed how fast vehicle's speed up that road, even when I was trying to pick the cat up there was a car speed pass me and very close to the curb!!

Thank you for your kindness, hopefully it's owner will get some closure. I lost my black cat Cosmo at xmas, I thought it might be him but he is chipped, so I'm pretty sure it isn't, I just wish I knew what has happened to him...it's been nearly 4 months and I still think about him every day.

Rox

My 10 month old Black Bengal kitten went missing in the early hours of Friday morning 1 April around Pellatt / Landcroft Road. She's called Miu and she is quite small. She has no collar. She has the rosette and stripe markings but these can only be seen easily in sunlight.

I've attached a picture so you can see if it was Miu you found deceased.

Thanks for your help.

My own cat is quite small, and the cat on Barry Road seemed more normal-large sized (mine is 4 years old and this cat was bigger than her) - i hope that helps? Definitely looked too big to be 10 months old, i couldn't see any markings on the cat either - seemed to be completely black.

Hope you find her soon x

HiSparks,

No,the deceased cat was definitely not Miu. The poor black cat I found was large in size and I'm sure was an adult cat. (i must contact vets to find out if the cat was male or female, it would help to know what it was!) I'm sorry to hear that Miu has been missing and hope you're reunited really soon. Its an awful feeling to have a loved pet go missing and most of all the not knowing. I've been and will keep my eyes out/open for her and of course if I can catch her to get her bsck to you. Bengal kittens/cats are quite rare around here so she should be easy to spot if any sightings of her. Cats are good at hiding too so hopefully she hasn't gone too far...

Hope she's back home safely soon

Best of luck

thanks for your message Brulysses. I remember your post and keeping my eyes out for Cosmo. I'm so very sorry he still has not came home. Its such a terrible feeling and to go so long without not knowing or having any sort of closure on a loved pets disappearance. If this is of any comfort - I did know of someone that lost their cat for 8 months or more, they were actually reunited after such a long time of the cat going missing and I believe the very reason being because the cat was microchipped which makes all the difference and of course a very kind stranger taking the cat in. I myself found a dog a while ago in Dulwich but it had came all the way from the Croydon area??? and had been missing for some time - I called the dog wardens who came to my house and checked him over, he also was microchipped and reunited with his owners :) Don't give up hope. I will keep my eyes open for Cosmo too, I think I still have his picture on my mobile just incase I came across him.

All the best of luck

I Spoke to the Neighbour hood vets today - they will keep hold of the black cat until this Saturday before sending to be cremated. They think the black cat was male and couldn't tell me if he was neutered or not.

They said if anyone has lost a black cat and thinks it may be their cat, you are quite welcome to call and or come into the vets to view to see if the cat may belong to you but have only until Saturday to do this as they can only keep hold of a deceased pet/animal up to seven days.

Hope this is of any help to anyone who maybe a little unsure x

Hi,

I just had a knock on the door from a builder working at 92 Melbourne Grove, asking me if I hadn't lost a small black cat - he says the cat'd wandered in there. The guy has locked up the place now but he will be back tomorrow - perhaps you could go there to check if that's your cat? I'm only posting this as I've seen 'Small black cat missing' notices around East Dulwich recently.

Hi PolkaNova.

Thanks for posting this on here. I've just started work but out of London otherwise I would've gone there early tomorrow morning to get the cat to the vets to see if it is microchipped. I only live across the road from there. Would anyone else be able to collect the cat to take to the vets to check if it's microchipped??? Sorry if I sound a little cheeky in asking

PolkaNova

Thanks for this post. Just been to see the house and will return in the morning when the builder is back. I'll take my cat box and if it isn't Miu (my missing kitten) I'll take to the vets to see if it is chipped / locate the owner.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you so much for finding my baby and taking him to a safe place.

We identified his body yesterday and will be back home soon so we can scatter his ashes in our garden.

I wish there were more people like you in this world

Again, I can't begin to tell you how thankful we are for your selflessness

He really was the most beautiful, most cuddly cat in the world and he is so sorely missed

Rest in peace my little Binx