Goodrich School drop offs

TJ

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I wouldn't bother you're talking to a bloke who

> thinks the family parking spaces at Sainsbury's

> are a breach of his civil rights

I guess I can't stop you being a complete ****, but at least you could try to be accurate.

TJ Wrote:

> Ok - one more rant for the day.

>

> The parents who drive to goodrich... please stop

> parking on the roundabouts, yellow lines and

> particularly on the road narrowing part right

> outside.

>

> It really is so selfish.

Completely agree! There was an unnecessary traffic jam caused by parked cars and no less than three people carriers (with one or two children sitting regally on the back seats) trying to get past each other but being too wide to do so. Someone sensibly whistled loudly to get cars to reverse and managed the traffic flow. And through all this, those on foot had to weave themselves and their children in and out of the mass of cars, hoping that the drivers had seen them! Absolutely not safe.

The people carriers trying to squeeze down Goodrich Road really, really wind me up. It is completely unnecessary and complete chaos at the junction of Goodrich and Friern on a schoolday morning. The vast majority of parents must live within walking distance of the school and there is no excuse for not walking there in the morning if you are in walking distance (walking distance being, for the avoidance of doubt, anything up to a mile).

All I am saying is that tolerance seems to be an underrated value in communities. Of course parents, can and should keep other children safe when dropping their own at school, they should also get up earlier if that helps, there are many 'shoulds' in everyone's lives, not just parents. What struck me on this thread was the idea that parents are simply being 'selfish'. Some probably are, but i suspec the overriding cause of their parking behaviour is the stress behind keeping to tight schedules with unruly toddlers and children with little sense of time.

Domitianus Wrote:

> ???? Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I wouldn't bother you're talking to a bloke who

> > thinks the family parking spaces at Sainsbury's

> > are a breach of his civil rights

>

> I guess I can't stop you being a complete ****,

> but at least you could try to be accurate.

Having a bad day are we?! I thought that post was hilarious.

Timster Wrote:

> The people carriers trying to squeeze down

> Goodrich Road really, really wind me up. It is

> completely unnecessary and complete chaos at the

> junction of Goodrich and Friern on a schoolday

> morning. The vast majority of parents must live

> within walking distance of the school and there is

> no excuse for not walking there in the morning if

> you are in walking distance (walking distance

> being, for the avoidance of doubt, anything up to

> a mile).

We used to get bus passes if the journey was more than three miles. Up to that was walking distance.

When youngest child was little, I used to drop her off at Nursery in Bellenden Road, by car before driving to Bow to work.

Tried to park away from the nursery and walk 100 yards or so to avoid traffic build up. How many of the schools around here have breakfast clubs from 8 am?- may be worth parents while to use these clubs and then drive on to work - will even out the traffic. Youngest child is now 24 but between ages of 5 - 11 was at St.Anthonys and same problems with traffic as parents were not all based in ED

The issue is not driving the kids to school, but stopping right outside the school, on a narrow busy road to save the poor old legs the 50 metres walk if you parked round the corner.

Goodrich need to step up and sort this out before a kid gets hit by someone trying to squeeze past.

clare Wrote:

> And how do you suggest Goodrich do this ?

Amysdad Wrote:

> Stick a camera on the zig-zags, it will pay for

> itself and be a permanent deterrant.

I'm serious. The school could do this? Web cam to a router, report them to Southwark/police.

Or, perhaps slightly more sensibly, staff member stands by zig zags once in a while.

At St. Anthony's, the active parents in the Friends of St A (pre PTA) over a week, took down all the registration numbers of cars double parked, across Etherow Street resident's drives, on the zig zag lines. at the morning and afternoon drop off and collection. All the lists over the week were compiled and any car reg which appeared more than twice was put on another list and given to the police. They turned out with traffic wardens in force over a few days and issued tickets and cautions. The residents in Etherow Street and Norcroft Gardens also took car reg numbers seperately and gave them to the Housing Dept,Police and I believe the traffic section in Southwark. It stopped irresponsible parking for a few weeks but it came back again.

thebestnameshavegone Wrote:

> ???? Wrote:

> -----

> > I wouldn't bother you're talking to a bloke who

> > thinks the family parking spaces at Sainsbury's

> > are a breach of his civil rights

*Waves at Honk*

>

>

> You have a family, you're not disabled. Christ.

???? Wrote:

> thebestnameshavegone Wrote:

> -----

> > ???? Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > I wouldn't bother you're talking to a bloke

> who

> > > thinks the family parking spaces at

> Sainsbury's

> > > are a breach of his civil rights

>

> *Waves at Honk*

> >

> >

> > You have a family, you're not disabled. Christ.

You have a family, you're not disabled. Christ.

And I think that is the best solution, HH. I can see why P&C spaces are required with extra space either side, but why they have to be right up front near the entrance is a different matter. A quiet corner of the car park would be so much more appropriate and probably safer. And the wrong people would be less inclined to nick them.

A quiet corner of the car park would not be more appropriate, and certainly not safer, unless pavements/pathways were introduced. Crossing the entire car park with toddlers can be hair-raising, given that they are completely invisible to cars reversing out of spaces.

As for Goodrich, the school had traffic wardens patrolling one morning a few weeks back. It has made no discernable difference in anything but the immediate term.

As opposed to trying to get two kids out of a car in the busiest area of the car park, where if a child manages to get 1-2m away from the parent it ends up in immediate and possibly fatal danger as it wanders into the area with most car movement?