Goodrich School drop offs

TJ

Good work James. Let's hope that puts a stop to this selfish behaviour.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Nero,

> Good to hear my request has resulted in this

> visit.

> I've requested that for a while this school is

> added to the mobile CCTV rota.

> Hopefully, encouraging more acceptable behaviour

> will result in bad habits being broken.

Gubodge Wrote:

> Sorry to take the thread back of track again but I

> have to respond to Domitianus, who is not aware of

> any children being knocked down in car parks? A

> three year old was killed in a housing development

> car park off Lordship Lane a year or so ago so

> whilst I'm obviously very relieved your mother

> safely guided you through the perils of car parks,

> please bear in mind that not everyone is so lucky.

>

>

> I'm not sure why you think you have a greater need

> to be close to the supermarket than someone whose

> legs are only 12 inches long. But maybe you're

> just lazy.

Does this mean that people with legs that are 18 inches long should be made to walk a further distance than those with legs 12 inches long, but not as far as those with legs 24 inches long. I guess the strapping six footers should have to walk from the very far side of the car-park? In fact, let's put in a chicane made out of Tensa-barriers like you seen in an airport or bank to really make the tall bu**ers walk?

I mean they are just lazy, after all.

Rockets Wrote:

> Time for the school to take more action - they

> have a duty of care to their children and need to

> invoke some responsible parenting in their

> numb-skull clientele. The selfish attitude of some

> of the parents of kids who go to that school is

> beyond belief and someone needs to take a stand

> before someone gets hurt. Other parents at the

> school who do not cause these dangerous situations

> need to challenge those who do.

I have long been horrified by the selfish way so many parents park outside schools, but this is not a problem confined to Goodrich Primary School - unfortunately it happens at many, many schools. Whilst I would love to see parking restrictions imposed far more strictly, and parents who park or stop illegally being issued with tickets, sorting out this type of problem really isn't something that the school has any power to deal with. I know several headteachers at other primary schools in this area who have approached parents who park dangerously outside their schools, and they are usually just met with abuse. Schools have a duty of care to children when they are in their care, and that doesn't, and can't extend to parents who choose to park dangerously outside the schools. Most schools ask regularly for parking wardens to visit their schools, but are usually told that there isn't the manpower for frequent visits. I suppose when you consider that boroughs like Southwark, Lewisham, and Lambeth each have around 80 schools, the number of parking wardens needed would be huge, bearing in mind they would all be needed at the same time. The only thing that schools can really do is to write to parents regularly, or 'name and shame' illegally parked cars in their newsletters.

Parking was a problem at my daughter's infant school a few years ago, but we realised that the school was pretty much powerless to stop the problem. So a group of parents got a supply of traffic cones, set up a rota, and put them outside the school on the zig zag markings for half an hour every morning and afternoon. It solved the problem.

That would not necessarily solve the problem at Goodrich, because the road layout is different, but it could be a start.

Goodrich tried the cones a few years back when Mr Coleman was still headmaster. Unbelievably some parents would get out of their car and move them to one side or even just push them out of the way with their cars. Some of us parents ended up trying to "guard" the cones but had to regularly put up with abuse and aggression from the offending parents.

Hi Pepsi, we are just trying to keep this on thread, which its seems to be.

pepsi Wrote:

> I wasn't really replying to your post, I was

> referring to the post on p. 3. And I'll discuss

> whatever I please on here thanks, it's an open

> forum.

>

>

> Ant Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > And the people I saw this morning weren't in a

> > 4X4. Please let's lose track of the real point

> > being discussed here: people's behaviour. It's

> not

> > what car they drive, but how they drive it.